Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-24-2009, 12:00 PM   #46
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJN View Post
I don't understand why Android should provide a technological advantage over Unix as the base OS and I'd appreciate if someone explained this.
My understanding is that Android is Linux, or at least based on it. It adds libraries and support for the small screens, touch screens and 3G support.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:08 PM   #47
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyxox View Post
First is development of new apps for the device, including a web browser. You can expect that within six months of launch.

The wireless feature will work at any hotspot. Currently, it's only for acccessing the B&N site as well as the Google books site, but that will change as new apps are introduced.

Combining the two features, updates will be asy to push to the device and the capabilities of the device will expand dramtically. Plus it will open up a new revenue stream for B&N in apps delivered, such as folders etc.

Finally, there is a strong potential for the release of an SDK which will further expand the capabilities of the device.

OF course, none of this means anything if B&N doesn't immediately address the cost differential of eBooks when compared to the AMZ format because first and foremost, the device is used to read eBooks. Without that key component, the Nook will fail and fail miserably.

Well, yeah, but if I wanted all that, I wouldn't buy a book reader to do it.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2009, 12:21 PM   #48
GJN
Guilty Bystander
GJN began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook Pro, Kindle, iPad, and other gadgets
Well, I think I'll wait until I see the specs on the rumored Apple tablet. I should be able to run both Amazon's Kindle for the Mac and B&N's eReader for the Mac on that as well as real Web browsers and e-mail. I suspect Steve Jobs was right when he said that multi-use devices will win out over single-use devices. Let's just hope that the tablet will have an easy-to-read screen and a good battery life.
GJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:54 PM   #49
Xyxox
Xyxox began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJN View Post
Well, I think I'll wait until I see the specs on the rumored Apple tablet. I should be able to run both Amazon's Kindle for the Mac and B&N's eReader for the Mac on that as well as real Web browsers and e-mail. I suspect Steve Jobs was right when he said that multi-use devices will win out over single-use devices. Let's just hope that the tablet will have an easy-to-read screen and a good battery life.
The only reason I want an eReader is because of eInk. Backlit screens make my eyes go wonky and I stare at one for eight hours ever day at work any way.

I figure I'll pick which eReader by December 12. Analysts say the ball is in Amazon's court after the announcement of the Nook but I say the Analysts are full of it. B&N must address the cost issue, the gift certificate issue, and the number of titles issue before launch of they lose and Amazon retains its market leadership.
Xyxox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:56 PM   #50
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
It is like B&N made a list of everyone’s gripes with the Kindle and then set about correcting them. It's too early to write off the Kindle though. MY guess is, Amazon is going to relax on those stupid sharing restrictions and start to sell the Kindle in physical stores so folks can try it out before buying.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2009, 05:06 PM   #51
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pboss View Post
It is like B&N made a list of everyone’s gripes with the Kindle and then set about correcting them. It's too early to write off the Kindle though. MY guess is, Amazon is going to relax on those stupid sharing restrictions and start to sell the Kindle in physical stores so folks can try it out before buying.
Again, I've seeing very little that is in this that corrects any gripes. In fact it actually adds a few depending on the details -- which we really won't know to we get a full objective review of the device.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote