Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-08-2007, 08:54 AM   #16
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Nice find...

But I certainly hope the AZW format is not real...what a bother it would be to have yet another format flying round when I finally got used to mobipocket...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:07 AM   #17
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'm guessing that AZW is probably just a wrapper around an existing e-book format - MobiPocket.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2007, 09:40 AM   #18
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
Nice find...

But I certainly hope the AZW format is not real...what a bother it would be to have yet another format flying round when I finally got used to mobipocket...
The manual says that you can buy content directly from the Kindle. I bet that content is in AZW format.

So long as the Kindle also reads Mobipocket, we can live with whatever other formats Amazon puts on it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:10 AM   #19
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

I guess you have a point there...now the real question is what this "Whispernet" is all about...and whether it will really have EV-DO (and thus be of limited use in Europe) or WiFi and whether it will come bundled with some kind of subscription for EV-DO or books or whatever...the Frankfurt Book-Fair is starting soon, I hope we'll know more in a few days...
Old 10-08-2007, 01:22 PM   #20
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I googled some,
http://www.amazon.com/GENITOPE-INITI.../dp/B000F3UGMY
"includes free wireless delivery via Amazon Whispernet" "Available for download now."
Other intresting quotes
"Auto-delivered wirelessly to Kindle via Amazon Whispernet." Auto-deliverd? Can you only buy from the kindle then? Sounds a bit stupid... But if it is free it would prob be allright.
And notice that the book is in HTML format...

Last edited by CTH; 10-08-2007 at 01:24 PM.
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2007, 01:26 PM   #21
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTH View Post
I googled some,
"includes free wireless delivery via Amazon Whispernet" "Available for download now."
Other intresting quotes
"Auto-delivered wirelessly to Kindle via Amazon Whispernet." Auto-deliverd? Can you only buy from the kindle then? Sounds a bit stupid... But if it is free it would prob be allright.
Might be something similar to what iRex is using. Some sort of inbox where Amazon can safely deposit the content, and the next time that you sync your Kindle, you download the content on your device.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:29 PM   #22
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTH View Post
I googled some,
Other intresting quotes
RTM, dude, RTM. And then go read the Wiki, and the other threads on this forum.

According to the manual, one way to get content is to buy it from Amazon while using the Kindle. Another way to get content is to load it yourself, either onto a SD card or direct from PC/Mac to Kindle via USB.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:53 PM   #23
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
A point, Nate, but it's probably best to keep in mind that the manual we have is about a year old, and things may have changed in the mean-time.

I don't plan to rely too heavily on that manual, at any rate.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:19 PM   #24
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I think the "kindle edition" is the AZW file format. I got this from the manual.

Of course, I could be wrong.
Manual? You have a *manual*?!?!? That means you have a Kindle! Give details!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:28 PM   #25
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
That means you have a Kindle!
No it doesn't.

It means that he's read this thread from last year when the details leaked out via the FCC site. I believe the manual is still posted in that thread, but it's a year old, hence my comment.

Yup, the manual is still posted there. How funny, I'd forgotten I was the one who actually posted it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:29 PM   #26
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

Well, this is actually one of the few devices where most people read the manual before they used the device...probably since the manual was leaked (on Engadget a year ago) but the device so far was not...
Old 10-08-2007, 04:44 PM   #27
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Manual? You have a *manual*?!?!? That means you have a Kindle! Give details!

Derek
No, if I had a Kindle, you'd already know about it. Everyone would know about it. I'd shout it from the rooftops. I'd post a clip on Youtube. I'd take a few hundred photos, and post them here.

I only wish I had one.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:36 PM   #28
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
If we can trust the manual, as of a year ago the plan was to support .prc and .mobi files, so for those who want mobipocket support there's still hope.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:53 PM   #29
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I have been doing some thinking on the results of the google search site:amazon.com "kindle edition" .

http://www.google.com/search?num=100...on&btnG=Search

There are now 5,670 pages in the Google cache that have the words "kindle edition" on them. It's a very diverse collection of books. There are more technical manuals and textbooks than I have ever seen outside of PDF format. This by itself could make the Kindle the market leader.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:05 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
There are more technical manuals and textbooks than I have ever seen outside of PDF format. This by itself could make the Kindle the market leader.
I don't follow you. The technical book market is far smaller than the fiction market. When I get on a train or a bus, everyone around me is reading novels, not technical books. I suspect that it's a market sector which is of relatively little importance to a bookreader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote