Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-19-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
Morrile
Morrile began at the beginning.

Device: None
Unhappy This may be a daft question?

This may seem a really daft question, but I cannot seem to find an answer elsewhere. I have Calibre installed, but I was wondering from what format do people start creating ebooks?

I have scanned various books and converted them into Microsoft Word with free flowing text, and some images. Can I import from Word or should I save the book in another format before importing into Calibre?

Many thanks in advance

Morrile
Morrile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Basically, take whatever format you can get depending on where you get the books, Calibre can convert between many formats, including (almost?) all ebook formats. The Word format isn't supported though, but you can just use RTF and go from there.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrile View Post
This may seem a really daft question, but I cannot seem to find an answer elsewhere. I have Calibre installed, but I was wondering from what format do people start creating ebooks?

I have scanned various books and converted them into Microsoft Word with free flowing text, and some images. Can I import from Word or should I save the book in another format before importing into Calibre?

Many thanks in advance

Morrile
From the Calibre help pages:

Calibre does not directly convert .doc files from Microsoft Word. However, in Word, you can save the document as HTML and then convert the resulting HTML file with calibre. When saving as HTML, be sure to use the “Save as Web Page, Filtered” option as this will produce clean HTML that will convert well.

There is a Word macro package that can automate the conversion of Word documents using calibre. It also makes generating the Table of Contents much simpler. It is called BookCreator and is available for free here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=book+creator
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:26 PM   #4
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
It's not daft! Here is an extract from Calibre's Help file:
"calibre does not directly convert .doc files from Microsoft Word. However, in Word, you can save the document as HTML and then convert the resulting HTML file with calibre. When saving as HTML, be sure to use the “Save as Web Page, Filtered” option as this will produce clean HTML that will convert well.

There is a Word macro package that can automate the conversion of Word documents using calibre. It also makes generating the Table of Contents much simpler. It is called BookCreator and is available for free at mobileread."
The other quick method I use is to use Open Office Writer (opens Word Documents) and save document as an ODT file (OO's document file) then use the plug in Writer2Epub. Works really well and if you search the forum you will find posts about how to use. Calibre is a better tool for converting entire books, Writer2Epub for converting a few pages of lecture notes or similar.
Hope this helps and doesn't confuse you even more!
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:51 PM   #5
Morrile
Morrile began at the beginning.

Device: None
Many thanks folks
Morrile is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert