Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-07-2010, 10:17 AM   #1
tb74
tb74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Why I switched back to the Sony Reader

My first foray into the reader market was the Sony PRS-300. I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money on the more expensive Sony Readers and the Kobo wasn't anywhere near market (this was still the Shortcovers days), so I picked up a Sony PRS-300. It was fun while it lasted, but with the 5-inch screen, I found myself salivating at the Kobo reader when it was finally announced. So on May 1st, 2010, I rushed to Chapters/Indigo - on the morning of my wedding no less - to pick up a Kobo reader. (I wanted it for my two-week honeymoon). Upon first inspection, I liked it. It was clean looking, slick and simple. It loaded my Kobo books quite easily and the font sizes and options were a step up from my Sony. It was all good – at first. Then the flaws started to slowly emerge. Side loading books is FAR too difficult. I had a lot of books from the Sony Store and a few from the Toronto Library, so I naturally wanted to port them over to the Kobo. This meant loading some things through the Kobo desktop app and some things through ADE. Not horrible, but more difficult than it should be. Then there is the issue of wanting to get books off my Kobo reader when I was done reading them. Can't do it in the App, so off to the website I go. Delete from there, update my Kobo app, and then sync my reader. FAR too many steps. I considered skipping the Kobo app altogether, and loading everything through ADE, but why should I? The Kobo app should be as robust as the Sony Reader app. It functions more like iTunes. I load the Sony books, the Kobo books and the Library books into the SAME app, isn't that a (excuse the pun) novel idea? Then I have all my books in the program, and can see my entire virtual bookshelf. I don't need to worry about the convoluted process that it takes to manage things the Kobo way. I don’t particularly like having some books on the reader/desktop app and then others on the website that I have to download again should I need them. Call me greedy, but I want all my books in one place. I create a playlist in the Sony Reader app, drop all the new books as I buy them, pull out the old ones from the playlist as I read them, and sync it up. Simple management. Something that Kobo is missing in a big way.

I was poking around the MobileRead forums and read about an eco-credit program at the US Sony Style store and I was very intrigued. They will take any old reader and give you a credit of $75 towards the purchase of a new Sony Reader. With the release of the new Pearl touch-screen Sony-PRS 650 and an already planned trip to New York City for the weekend, I couldn't resist. I gave in my old Sony PRS-300, and got the $75 credit with no hassles (despite being a Canadian resident - they didn't care). The readers were also on sale, so with credit and taxes, I got a new Sony PRS-650 reader for $175. Granted, that is still considerably more expensive than the Kobo reader, and it doesn't have Wi-Fi, but the management of the reader is far better. I would rather spend time reading than managing the collection. Price is, however, a major consideration for most people and I agree wholeheartedly that Sony needs to do better in this department. But with the built-in dictionary, built-in translation software and ability to highlight and take notes, the Sony wins hands down.

I keep hearing promises that the Kobo 1.5 update is "coming very soon", but I am tired of waiting, and who knows what the update will bring? Even if the firmware is improved 300%, the Kobo desktop App will still be less-than-satisfactory so what does it really matter? My Kobo will be relegated to a desk drawer for now, although I will likely update the firmware out of curiosity when it finally comes out. I will continue to buy a large portion, if not most, of my books from Kobo and will consider coming back to Kobo in a few years when colour is standard (e-ink, that is), but for now, I'm quite happy with my Sony.
tb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:31 PM   #2
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
good for you thanks for telling us!?

BTW sounds like nearly all your software concerns would have been addressed by using calibre to side load your books?
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
G0AT
Addict
G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by baronrus View Post
good for you thanks for telling us!?

BTW sounds like nearly all your software concerns would have been addressed by using calibre to side load your books?
My thinking exactly. I've used Calibre from day 1. I haven't even considered installing the Kobo desktop.
G0AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:09 PM   #4
La Coccinelle
Connoisseur
La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo (original)
The Kobo desktop app is useless. I've been using ADE for everything (Kobo books, galleys, and library books) and it works just fine.
La Coccinelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:38 PM   #5
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
It's good that you have found a reader that works for you.
Like the others I don't understand why you just didn't use either ADE or Calibre instead of messing with the Kobo Desktop if you didn't like it.
For any newbies out there if you don't like the Desktop app then just don't use it - you don't have to if you don't want to.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I have never used the Kobo desktop as Calibre works for the three different types of dedicated ereaders we have in our house.

In the end though, you choose the ereader that works for you. Good luck with your PRS-650.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:50 AM   #7
tb74
tb74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I wanted to make the point that you shouldn't need to use a third party app to manage things. The app that comes with the program should work. I have tried Calibre and I have tried ADE, but I shouldn't have even needed to think about it. I know the Kobo folks regularly troll this site, so I wanted to make my point so they know people are unhappy enough with their software that they are jumping to the competition. Yes, there is a workaround, but if Kobo values their customer base, they need to address the issues their customers are experiencing. If we all just use another program as a workaround, then the Kobo experience will never improve.
tb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #8
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

each to his/her own enjoy your sony and the sony forum
Old 12-08-2010, 12:16 PM   #9
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
And especially enjoy the Sony desktop software... You'll begin to understand why so many people use ADE to download books from stores, and Calibre to load them onto devices.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #10
unsonia
unsonia began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Looks like you were used to the way Sony does things. I didn't read about any real flow in your motivation. Of course maybe they were good enough reasons for you. I use Calibre by the way.
unsonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:26 PM   #11
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Jesus... don't be critical of Kobo in the Kobo forums apparently (again).
It'd be a pretty boring website if all that was allowed was "I love my <insert device here>!" threads
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:20 PM   #12
baronrus
Addict

not sure what your talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_steve View Post
It'd be a pretty boring website if all that was allowed was "I love my <insert device here>!" threads
What are you talking about? nobody said he had to pump sunshine up kobo's a$$. but most of his complaints had to do with the software. If he uses calibre he will have less problems than if he uses either the kobo or sony software.

The forums would be pretty boring if nobody was allowed to give helpful advice.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:21 PM   #13
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_steve View Post
So the point of your post was to simply stir up the ants nest?
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:27 PM   #14
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Nah, just pointing out the constant crap on here... again
The OP's point was that they shouldn't have to hop through several hoops (i.e. software) just to get books onto the device.
The Kobo software is atrocious. Anyone that isn't computer savvy or not into forums wouldn't even know about calibre and their frustrations would grow.
So they posted their frustration and issues with the device and got the usual "it isn't the Kobo, it's you because you should be using calibre and should know better" and "piss off to the sony forum" retorts.

baronrus - you're about as helpful as a kick in the junk
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:07 PM   #15
baronrus
Addict

which would be about twice as helpful as you.

The reality is the kobo software is poor no argument. I mentioned that calibre might help him/her. if any one has been on these forums for any amount of time it quickly becomes clear that kobo has some bugs to work thorugh and that calibre helps with that.

your contribution to this discussion was..... the square root of jack Sh*t.

I happen to agree that it would be nice if you didnt have to use 3rd party software but that is the reality of our world. if you have a camera you may use the software that came with it but if you are seriouse you use photoshop. If you have an e-reader you use calibre.

Tags
kobo, prs-650, sony