Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-07-2009, 08:28 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Multiple Authors

When a book has multiple authors, is there any way to enter both authors, other than just combining the name in the one field?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:35 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If there are multiple authors, enter the names separated by the ampersand '&' symbol. At the Calibre metadata level that will cause entries to be made under both authors.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:37 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i still wish calibre would not automatically convert a comma into an ampersand, so that a single author named "Lastname, Firstname" is converted into "Lastname & Firstname"...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i still wish calibre would not automatically convert a comma into an ampersand, so that a single author named "Lastname, Firstname" is converted into "Lastname & Firstname"...
That is only done on first import. If you subsequently change the & to a comma, the comma will persist
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That is only done on first import. If you subsequently change the & to a comma, the comma will persist
i know, but the past 200 books i've imported, all had the author formatted "lastname, firstname", and i had to change the ampersand back to a comma by hand every time. so i'm hoping it could become a configurable option, in preferences, or something.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:08 PM   #6
towhit523
towhit523 began at the beginning.

Device: nook, kindle, sony 600, ipad, iphone, droid
I am using the ampersand to separate my authors but only one of the authors is appearing when I view my titles on the nook and the Sony Reader. The author that follows the ampersand is the one that appears. Any ideas/suggestions.

Thanks

Toni
towhit523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:13 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by towhit523 View Post
I am using the ampersand to separate my authors but only one of the authors is appearing when I view my titles on the nook and the Sony Reader. The author that follows the ampersand is the one that appears. Any ideas/suggestions.

Thanks

Toni
What does Author sort show in Calibre?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:18 AM   #8
towhit523

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
What does Author sort show in Calibre?
Authors(s): Radclyffe & Karin Kallmaker
Author Sort: Radclyffe & Kallmaker, Karin

When I create the .lrf file the Header only includes Karin Kallmaker and Karin is the only author listed when I transfer the book to my Sony PRS600.

Toni
Old 02-02-2010, 10:09 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

When I create the .lrf file the Header only includes Karin Kallmaker and Karin is the only author listed when I transfer the book to my Sony PRS600.

Toni
Someone else will need to step in with this one.
It might be the "missing" first name for the first author in the list that is triggering this.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:14 AM   #10
towhit523

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Someone else will need to step in with this one.
It might be the "missing" first name for the first author in the list that is triggering this.
Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, I get the same results when both authors have a full name. Only the author that is listed after the ampersand appears.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:33 PM   #11
towhit523

One other question releated to the multipe authors. Is there a way to prevent Calibre from converting the word "and" to an ampersand(&)? If I edit the author metadata and change it to Radclyffe and Karin Kallmaker (which is a suitable work around for me) the "and" is automatically converted to an &.

Thanks

Toni
Old 02-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

IIRC the sony reader only supports displaying a single author at a time. Probably the same is true for the nook.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:46 PM   #13
towhit523

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
IIRC the sony reader only supports displaying a single author at a time. Probably the same is true for the nook.
I can manually edit the .opf file in the epub file to show both authors. Not something that I was hoping to do and evidently not "good practice" but I need to have them both displayed so it is my only option right now and it works for both the Sony and the nook.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:58 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yes you can manually change an author name to be two authors. But the correct way to have multiple authors in an epub file is to have multiple creator tags, which is what calibre does.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:30 PM   #15
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:

Toni
Are these two authors with the same last name? If so, standard cataloging would list the authors as
"Radclyffe Kallmaker & Karin Kallmaker"

in which case Calibre's author sort field would then read as:
Kallmaker, Radclyff & Kallmaker, Karin

Whether the PRS600 does right by that listing is yet another question, of course.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote