Notices

Old 02-07-2010, 09:38 AM   #1
ondabeach
Groupie
ondabeach doesn't litterondabeach doesn't litter

Device: HTC touch Diamond, Ipaq 3115
Design the ultimate eBook site

Hi all,

I am looking for more suggestions of what you would like in the ultimate eBook site. Both from the perspective of an Author and a Reader.

For the Authors we have:

Free autonomous uploading to the library, you maintain full direct control over your eBook and it's appearance in the library.

If need be we will convert your eBook to ePUB format for you free of charge.

The ONLY fee you pay is 15% of the (sale price - PayPal fee which is 30 cents plus 2.9% of the sale price) So if your eBook sells for $2.99 you will receive $2.21

$2.99
- .39 PayPal
- .39 ZuluExpress
= $2.21 You

For the Readers:

Completely anonymous eBook purchase and download. You don not need to become a member or be logged in to the site to download our free public domain titles or to purchase paid eBooks.

For Members:

Book Lists on your Member's page:
"Wish List" for both free and paid eBooks with direct purchase and/or download.
"My Uploaded eBooks" eBooks you have published in the library
"My Downloaded eBooks" free and paid eBooks can be re-downloaded any time anywhere.

For Everyone:

No Adds
No Popups
No Cookies

Coming Next:

"Recommend This eBook" links so that you can "One Click" recommend an eBook to your friends on Twitter, Face-book and other social networks (requires that you enter your login details for the desired network in your profile). Your recommendation will include a link to take them straight to that eBook in the library.

Please check out the site (www.zuluexpress.com) if you get a chance and let me know what you think, and what would like to see added.

Cheers,

ondabeach.
ondabeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
You should explain that it is not possible to download a ebook at this time only to place on your wish list.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2010, 10:25 AM   #3
ondabeach
Groupie

Hi pagansoul,

To download an eBook simply click the green arrow below the word "FREE"
you can do that either from the library or your eBook "Lists"

I just tested it both as a visitor and as a member.

Cheers.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:35 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondabeach View Post
For Everyone:

No Adds
No Popups
No Cookies
Why do you consider "no cookies" to be a good thing, if I may ask? I want a site to remember who I am, to offer me suggestions as to what may interest me based on what I've bought previously, and so on. Why should I have to re-enter all the information that I've already told you, when cookies provide a perfectly good mechanism for that information to be stored for re-use?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:40 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The ultimate eBook site would also sell eBooks with no DRM. That means current NYT bestsellers DRM free (as an example).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2010, 10:50 AM   #6
ondabeach
Groupie

A lot of people are suspicious of cookies and about the only thing that can't be done without them is auto-login. As for a member's habits on the site are concerned, I can get that information from the database. SQL is a beautful thing

However, if people want auto-login they by God they shall have it!! That's kinda the whole point of the thread. This is actually a genuine opportunity for people to quite literally design "The ultimate eBook site".

Cheers.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:52 AM   #7
ondabeach
Groupie

The only kind of eBooks we have are non DRM ePUBs
Old 02-07-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
t-town
Connoisseur
t-town began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
This thing just has an awful design. Great initiative, awful design.
t-town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:12 PM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Agreed: The site sorely needs to be brought up-to-date visually.

You may benefit from one of the online web template sites that will let you download a ready-made design and use it as-is, or (if you're good with photoshop) make light to heavy modifications to it. The Read an E-Book Week site did this with FreeWebsiteTemplates.com, and it made a huge difference in the look of Rita's site.

There are, of course, sites that will charge you for a template, but I'd start with the free services, because the template variety and quality aren't bed.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:09 PM   #10
ondabeach
Groupie

The overall asthetic of a site (or anything for that matter) is made up of many things. So it would be really useful if you could be a little more specific.

Do you mean the colors, contrast, layout, quality of images/custom graphics?

And are you talking about the home page, other pages in particular?

I've had feedback from other MR users saying they really like the look of the site so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do about your suggestion.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:08 PM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
The overall asthetic of a site (or anything for that matter) is made up of many things. So it would be really useful if you could be a little more specific.
Okay: From my perspective, the "Zulu green" is okay. The banner and navigators don't work as-is: The banner should be at the top. I'd more closely tie together the site name graphic and the Zulu character, make them parts of the same image basically. The navigation buttons are overly large and awkward-looking, and should be underneath the banner.

The homepage needs clearer subdividing of the three sections. Vertical dividers would work, so would table frames or different table cell colors (at least for the center column, to provide separation from the other two). I'd remove the center justification on the homepage text.

I would also remove the center-justification from the Publishing page text... and if the Forums page is not active yet, remove the navigation button.

The other pages are essentially okay.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:43 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The only kind of eBooks we have are non DRM ePUBs
Does that mean that you won't be selling e-books from the major publishers who insist on DRM and geographical restrictions?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:33 AM   #13
ondabeach
Groupie

Thanks Steve, now that is something I can chew on
Old 02-08-2010, 04:38 AM   #14
ondabeach
Groupie

Yes Harry that's right, only DRM-free ePUBs with no geographic restrictions. That may not help us get rich but we built the site as a place for authors to self publish and sell direct to the public. We don't accept copyrighted work from anyone but the author.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:43 AM   #15
AFK_Matrix
Sci Fi Addict :)
AFK_Matrix doesn't litterAFK_Matrix doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Hi Ondabeach,

I hopefully sent a nice long pm to you about your site. Hope it helps mate, I too would say the site needs a graphical update. I have used templates for a web making tool called Joomla. Nice tool as it has a behind the scenes GUI that makes it easy to change things, I used it as I am a noob when it comes to site design. I came up with a great looking webpage with it.
AFK_Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote