Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-18-2015, 10:17 AM   #16
damican
damican is a marvel to beholddamican is a marvel to beholddamican is a marvel to beholddamican is a marvel to beholddamican is a marvel to beholddamican is a marvel to beholddamican is a marvel to beholddamican is a marvel to beholddamican is a marvel to beholddamican is a marvel to beholddamican is a marvel to behold

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
"Wheel of Time" series by Robert Jordan, "Sword of Truth series" by Terry Goodkind.
Read em both. As a quick aside Goodkinds works are a lot less good (in my mind) when you know a few personal facts about him.
damican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:54 AM   #17
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series starts with Miles Vorkosigan's parents, but starting with the omnibus Young Miles, the novels take Miles, the crippled son of the regent and cousin of the Emperor from the age of 17 to the mid-40s, as he goes from a crippled military academy washout to accidental mercenary commander, agent provocateur, and finally Imperial Auditor, a sort of an inspector general and crack investigator.

Last edited by bgalbrecht; 02-19-2015 at 01:18 AM. Reason: elaboration
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:57 AM   #18
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Elisabeth Moon "Deeds of Paksenarrion". Sheepfarmer's daughter who enlists as solider, becomes paladin and national hero.

Trudi Canavan "The Black Magician" triology. Slum dweller is found to have magical talent, in a country where only nobles get to learn magic.
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:13 AM   #19
damican
damican is a marvel to beholddamican is a marvel to beholddamican is a marvel to beholddamican is a marvel to beholddamican is a marvel to beholddamican is a marvel to beholddamican is a marvel to beholddamican is a marvel to beholddamican is a marvel to beholddamican is a marvel to beholddamican is a marvel to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
Elisabeth Moon "Deeds of Paksenarrion". Sheepfarmer's daughter who enlists as solider, becomes paladin and national hero.

Trudi Canavan "The Black Magician" triology. Slum dweller is found to have magical talent, in a country where only nobles get to learn magic.
I've read them both. Really enjoyed Paksenarrion.

I've heard of the Vorkosigan but haven't tried it. I will now do so.

Thanks for the replies guys.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:38 AM   #20
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
You may like the Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian. It follows the life of Jack Aubrey and his friend Stephen Maturin during the Napoleonic wars from Jack's beginning as Master and Commander (He's "captain" of a ship but has not achieved the naval rank of Captain) to his career as Admiral.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:40 AM   #21
damican

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
You may like the Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian. It follows the life of Jack Aubrey and his friend Stephen Maturin during the Napoleonic wars from Jack's beginning as Master and Commander (He's "captain" of a ship but has not achieved the naval rank of Captain) to his career as Admiral.
This sounds like something I'd be interested in.

I'm more interested in something more urban like business/political, but this is something I def will check out.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:13 PM   #22
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
In a similar vein - in fact I'd guess many of the Hornblower-inspired serieses would count for this, including Hornblower - there's the Seafort Saga by David Feintuch. It's SF, and I have no idea of its ebook availability, but I think Seafort does end up being rather more powerful than Aubrey or Hornblower or Harrington.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:20 PM   #23
damican

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
In a similar vein - in fact I'd guess many of the Hornblower-inspired serieses would count for this, including Hornblower - there's the Seafort Saga by David Feintuch. It's SF, and I have no idea of its ebook availability, but I think Seafort does end up being rather more powerful than Aubrey or Hornblower or Harrington.
Big fan of harrington, cant wait for a new book in the main story. I'm not sure hornblower is for me though.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:05 PM   #24
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
Vorkosigan is what first popped into my mind but someone beat me to that so...

Jim Butcher's Codex Alera. Ancient Rome meets high magic meets Pokemon where a magical washout turns into the savior of the world from aliens (not evilness) over 6 books.

Last edited by artifact; 02-19-2015 at 07:26 PM.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:17 PM   #25
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
If you're into Lovecraftian bureaucracy spy thriller spoofs which gradually tilt more towards pre-apocalyptic urban dark fantasy trope-exploration, then Charles Stross' The Laundry Files series (Wikipedia, which links to a bunch of free-to-read-online novellas to try) might be the thing for you.

Protagonist Bob Howard starts off as a relatively low-level office IT guy with a few tech-assisted magical skills, who gradually keeps levelling up with knowledge and abilities as he tries to help stave off the effects of The Stars Becoming Right, to the point where the author now considers him unsuitable to be the 1st-person protagonist of the next couple of stories because he's gotten too powerful in relation to his supporting-cast colleagues (who'll be taking over the POV narration duties), at least until all hell finally breaks loose in a few more novels and he'll be up directly against The Things From The Dungeon Dimensions which outclass him again.

This series is one of my personal favourites and IMHO, it's really good, and funny in places (but with a decided tendency to go very dark with the Mood Whiplash, so YMMV), and two of the novellas have been nominated for/won Hugo Awards.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:11 PM   #26
damican

A good parallel to what I'm looking for is the TV series "House of Cards" with Kevin Spacey.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:15 PM   #27
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Well, if you want a strong political component, another good Lois McMaster Bujold to try is her Chalion fantasy series, which is loosely based on the Spanish Reconquista, especially the 1st-in-series The Curse of Chalion which tells a self-contained story that can be read standalone, and was the winner of a Mythopoeic Prize as well.

It has a kind of double-journey from lowly to high for two of its major characters, one of whom starts from being an abandoned war prisoner stripped of all his former property, and the other as a privileged but powerless pawn, and there's a lot of court intrigue and backstabbing and maneuvering to get them into better positions by the end.

The other 2 books in the series also have main characters going from scorned and neglected to superpowered, but they're not as overtly political and more adventure-ish.

Speaking of House of Cards, have you perhaps tried the Michael Dobbs novels the original UK miniseries trilogy was based upon? They're supposed to be quite good (I haven't read them myself, but I do own the Blu-Rays of the mini, though I haven't finished watching them yet), and you haven't mentioned them upthread.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:43 AM   #28
damican

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Well, if you want a strong political component, another good Lois McMaster Bujold to try is her Chalion fantasy series, which is loosely based on the Spanish Reconquista, especially the 1st-in-series The Curse of Chalion which tells a self-contained story that can be read standalone, and was the winner of a Mythopoeic Prize as well.

It has a kind of double-journey from lowly to high for two of its major characters, one of whom starts from being an abandoned war prisoner stripped of all his former property, and the other as a privileged but powerless pawn, and there's a lot of court intrigue and backstabbing and maneuvering to get them into better positions by the end.

The other 2 books in the series also have main characters going from scorned and neglected to superpowered, but they're not as overtly political and more adventure-ish.

Speaking of House of Cards, have you perhaps tried the Michael Dobbs novels the original UK miniseries trilogy was based upon? They're supposed to be quite good (I haven't read them myself, but I do own the Blu-Rays of the mini, though I haven't finished watching them yet), and you haven't mentioned them upthread.
I'll give Chalion a try. I'm hoping for something in the vein of House of Cards, in how the main character has a plan to go from his current spot, to top the world. He follows said plan, and connives and does generally amusing/amazing(albeit evil) things along the way.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:33 PM   #29
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by damican View Post
I'll give Chalion a try. I'm hoping for something in the vein of House of Cards, in how the main character has a plan to go from his current spot, to top the world. He follows said plan, and connives and does generally amusing/amazing(albeit evil) things along the way.
I do not think you are going to find this there, imho the main character is definitely a good guy here. (Still it is a great book.)

Anyway, how about Conn Iggulden Conqueror series? It is lacking in humor, though.

cu Andreas
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:50 PM   #30
damican

Quote:
Originally Posted by ametzler View Post
I do not think you are going to find this there, imho the main character is definitely a good guy here. (Still it is a great book.)

Anyway, how about Conn Iggulden Conqueror series? It is lacking in humor, though.

cu Andreas
I dont mind if the character is good. I was more referring to the scheming, planning, cerebral nature of it.

I'll check out Conn