Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-20-2009, 05:16 PM   #1
Amanada
Amanada began at the beginning.

Device: none
Aaxatech P2 projector reader

Hi everybody,

I've been lurking for a while since I've been pondering about getting one of these readers but in my searches I came across this. http://www.aaxatech.com/products/p2_pico_projector.htm . I found a few pictures demoing the performance of this projector but would like to ask if anyone here has any experience with these. It'd be nice if I could end up with a reader that does more than just allow me to read, esp a nice big screen too.

I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking something before getting one, thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Excel_dark.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	37747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Excel_light.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	37748  
Amanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:04 PM   #2
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
This would be quite terrible for ebook reading.
- Pico projectors need very dim light to get a good picture.
- You'd be in a dim room staring into a bright-ish light. I'd think this would be eye strain.
- It would require quite a complex setup. You also need a video source and a screen. Let's say you mary a smartphone to a pico projector, then you will need to sit near a wall or have some type of portable screen/backdrop.
- The resolution on this is the same as the resolution on a 6" or 5" eink device. Even if it is projected to 30 or 40 inches diagonal, there isn't just that much information in the picture. PDF's still would 'fit' as if they are on a tiny screen -- that is, they wouldn't work to well. Other books would be wierd based on whether you choose a normal font (would look huge on the screen) or a tiny font (still wouldn't have resolution and the characters would be quite blurry).
- Not very portable as a book. Think about juggling the projector, the source, and the screen. Sure its portable as a presentation device, but not as a book.

I could probably go on for a while, but I the bottom line is that I think it would make a pretty poor book.

If you want one of these for a presentation device, you should be aware that there are quite a few of these out there. They run from a suggested retail of $199 up to around five hundred dollars. The winner in terms of quality these days seems to be a laser device. Most of the cheaper ones use a dlp approach.

The biggest issues are: 1) Dim lighting only; and 2) Small screen resolution -- for example, it won't do HD.

MLH
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert