Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-16-2011, 11:32 PM   #16
sammsmom
Enthusiast
sammsmom doesn't littersammsmom doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
If it ain't broke don't fix it. Right now I feel that the Kindle is great just the way it is.
sammsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:43 AM   #17
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
The touchscreen on the iPod touch or iPad is great for games though it certainly does have the problem of leaving fingerprints. On the other hand, the Kindle is primarily a reading device and I'm not convinced that the touchscreen would add anything to the ease of operation. The five way cursor works fine and I find the reading experience on the Kindle to be superior. I do use the iPad as a supplementary e-reader, and for that it is fine.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2011, 04:30 AM   #18
brasselv
brasselv began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
The touchscreen on the iPod touch or iPad is great for games though it certainly does have the problem of leaving fingerprints. On the other hand, the Kindle is primarily a reading device and I'm not convinced that the touchscreen would add anything to the ease of operation. The five way cursor works fine and I find the reading experience on the Kindle to be superior. I do use the iPad as a supplementary e-reader, and for that it is fine.
There's at least one advantage with a touchscreen: you save space. i.e. you can have a screen with the same real estate in a smaller kindle.

I would like to have a kindle the size (and weight) of the Sony PRS350 (but with WiFi, and of course with the Amazon book shopping experience
brasselv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:09 AM   #19
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
Since we're on a troll-feeding frenzy I should reveal what I've been keeping to myself for months...

I have retrofitted an iPad touch screen sensor to my DXG and managed to fit it into the DXG case with no increase in size. The display contrast is actually improved owing to the special optical properties of the iPad touch screen. What do I do with a touch screen on my DXG? I'm glad you asked...

I have set the device up to dual boot a modified Kindle firmware and Ubuntu 11.04 linux. When I switch between OS's linux boots in about 6 seconds. The Kindle firmware takes a little longer. The touch interface works remarkably well when web browsing and for controls when playing youtube and netflix videos in Ubuntu, and certain modifications to the Kindle firmware have allowed me to play Doom 2 under the Kindle OS almost as well as under Ubuntu. I can pinch and zoom on pdfs and of course, the orientation sensor is great for racing games where it handles steering my car.

You might think all this performance would decrease battery charge life but in reality, I have extended it by 60 operating hours by eliminating certain inefficiencies in the Kindle OS and by using Powertop in linux to pare the running processes down to bare minimum.

Oh yeah, while I was in there I bumped internal storage up to 128GB using a couple 64 GB micro SDHC cards. I can now carry the equivalent of the library of congress with me everywhere or at least a dozen movies in 720p HD.

Regarding movies- I tried setting up for 3D but alas, even with my improvements in the firmware, the thing is just too slow to deliver flicker free 3D. Oh well, maybe in the next DX...

I'll be posting the how-tos on all this stuff on my web page as soon as I have time to sit down and write the pages up.

Last edited by Mark Rehorst; 04-23-2011 at 02:45 AM.
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:20 AM   #20
hellraiser06
Yaabbaa dabba doo
hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Touch wifi, Kindle 3 Wifi, Asus Transformer TF101
LOL, you made my day Mark...... ROFLMAO
hellraiser06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #21
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
:awesomeface:
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #22
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Well I don't know about anyone else, but I'm really annoyed that my Kindle is not earning money for me while I sleep! Amazon has this Mechanical Turk thing already incorporated so I don't see why they can't pre-train the Kindles before sending them out. Geez, how lame! This BETTER be featured in K4 or I am so outta here...
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:07 AM   #23
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Another reason (besides fingerprints) to not have a touch screen is that it adds another layer of plastic onto the screen which can increase glare. I like being able to read on my Kindle3 out of doors or in direct light without a glare on the screen making it harder to actually read something.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:21 AM   #24
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia
Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rehorst View Post
Since we're on a troll-feeding frenzy I should reveal what I've been keeping to myself for months...

I have retrofit an iPad touch screen sensor to my DXG and managed to fit it into the DXG case with no increase in size. The display contrast is actually improved owing to the special optical properties of the iPad touch screen. What do I do with a touch screen on my DXG? I'm glad you asked...

I have set the device up to dual boot a modified Kindle firmware and Ubuntu 11.04 linux. When I switch between OS's linux boots in about 6 seconds. The Kindle firmware takes a little longer. The touch interface works remarkably well when web browsing and for controls when playing youtube and netflix videos in Ubuntu, and certain modifications to the Kindle firmware have allowed me to play Doom 2 under the Kindle OS almost as well as under Ubuntu. I can pinch and zoom on pdfs and of course, the orientation sensor is great for racing games where it handles steering my car.

You might think all this performance would decrease battery charge life but in reality, I have extended it by 60 operating hours by eliminating certain inefficiencies in the Kindle OS and by using Powertop in linux to pare the running processes down to bare minimum.

Oh yeah, while I was in there I bumped internal storage up to 128GB using a couple 64 GB micro SDHC cards. I can now carry the equivalent of the library of congress with me everywhere or at least a dozen movies in 720p HD.

Regarding movies- I tried setting up for 3D but alas, even with my improvements in the firmware, the thing is just too slow to deliver flicker free 3D. Oh well, maybe in the next DX...

I'll be posting the how-tos on all this stuff on my web page as soon as I have time to sit down and write the pages up.
Finally a post in this thread worth Karma!
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #25
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I was at Sam's Club yesterday and saw the new IPad2. Although I would not buy one, I thought it might be interesting to play with it a bit. As I headed over I saw a screen reflecting the light and the layers of fingerprints were impressive. My first thought was that I'd need rubber gloves to try it out and my second was to wonder if it would work with rubber gloves. Since I had no rubber gloves, I just moved on.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:30 PM   #26
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
Screen shots

Here's a shot from a custom wad I made for Doom 2 on my KDX, and a screen cap from a video streaming on Netflix...

Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:49 AM   #27
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Finally! Naked Lunch on my kindle!! :0
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #28
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
Fingerprints? i'm not sure about earlier models but there's no fingerprints on my sony 350. the screen is matte

Last edited by eSheri; 04-20-2011 at 08:46 AM.
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:01 AM   #29
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
The current generation touch screens on the Sonys does not have that extra layer adding glare. To quote from another "popular" have/have not-topic here at MR

Quote:
And my point is also that you actually do not know what you want unless you test things. People have a natural tendency to be conservative and stay with what they know.
Whaddayaknow, we actually found something to agree on!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:04 AM   #30
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Fingerprints? i'm not sure about earlier models but there's no fingerprints on my sony 350. the screen is matte
Oh, the fingerprints are there, alright.
Hiding.
Lurking.
Plotting.
Waiting for that random ray of perfectly angled light to illuminate them in all their hideous glory.

I can hear them taunting me.
*shudders*
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote