Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 03-23-2006, 04:26 PM   #61
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

oops!

Yea, I've been working on my .mac account, but some work issues have delayed me getting that back up. I do actually have the original pages and will re-post them sometime in the next couple of days.

Sorry about that!
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 10:46 PM   #62
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Okay, I have the review re-posted. The link is now www.webstead.org/eb1150/index.html . I have also updated the link at the beginning of this topic.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:22 AM   #63
cam
cam began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostGrant
I have an eBookWise too.

Here's the skinny for folks on the line:

Personal content - yeah, it's possible. Gutenberg is possible, RB is possible, etc, etc, and if you are enterprising enough, even .LIT files can be converted.

Complex HTML, offline reading - it's possible if you spend an hour or two getting familiar with sitescooper. Sitescooper, I'm finding, is the eBookWise user's best friend. I now, daily, read the Times, BBC News, the Guardian, and a handful of my favorite blogs on my EBW (yes, with hyperlinks).

Weight, readability - the screen isn't as green as it looks in the pics, unless you're reading it under direct sunlight. It *is* a green screen, but the backlight makes it appear black/white. It's not that heavy, either - if you figure out the correct way to hold it, it's nearly weightless.

My opinion: I love this thing. I wouldn't trade it for any Palm/PocketPC - I wouldn't even trade it for a lifetime of free martinis. The size of the screen is wonderful, and the price is right.

I demand alot of this machine and have used alot of the document converters. I'd be willing to answer any questions and help people out making this thing even more usable.

I love this unit also. I have to use litcovertor convert all my .lit files to HTML and then I use the ebookwise librarian to convert them to .imp. unfortumately I also have a ton of mobipocket files which I can't read. Do you know of any way to help me convert them?
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 12:50 PM   #64
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Bookdesigner 4.0 (http://www.freesoft.ru/?id=6957). Quirky but it does the job for me with public domain prc's.

Liviu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam
I love this unit also. I have to use litcovertor convert all my .lit files to HTML and then I use the ebookwise librarian to convert them to .imp. unfortumately I also have a ton of mobipocket files which I can't read. Do you know of any way to help me convert them?
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:31 AM   #65
WarStrider
WarStrider began at the beginning.

Device: Rocket Reader Pro
I get an alert when going to that page. It tries to run an exploit on IE. Could an admin please remove that link.

Thanks
WarStrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:28 AM   #66
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Hi,

Sorry to hear that and feel free to delete the link and google for BookDesigner by yourself. I have been using that software downloaded from there for many months on and off and I find it quirky but useful (true I use Mozilla not IE but I tried with my IE and I saw nothing strange and I run firewall, antivirus, antispy...but always you can miss something...)
For me BookDesigner has 3 features that are useful: it opens prc's for conversion (I do not buy drm so I have only public domain prc's from www.ebooksgratuits.com/ebooks.php), it makes fb2 books, and it opens kml books which are very useful when building a book from many files with the free kml builder.

Liviu

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarStrider
I get an alert when going to that page. It tries to run an exploit on IE. Could an admin please remove that link.

Thanks
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:15 PM   #67
cam
cam began at the beginning.

Thank you for your info I really appreciate it. You have been the only one who's given me any kind help and trust me I been looking. The russian thing is kind of intimidating thoughI don't download from sites I can't understand.
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 09:00 AM   #68
Beholder
Beholder began at the beginning.

Device: IPAQ hx4705
Graphics support

Hi there!
I would like to buy Graphics supporteb-1150 but I would like to clarify some details before I do it.
I will mainly use the pdf datasheets on this device.
These files contain not only text but also graphics(charts, tables and mechanical drawings.
Adobe PDF can be translated to html format with graphics, but it's unclear for me whether this device is capable of displaying graphical objects. If positive than the next question is whether it's possible to use zoom function?
Did anyone tried to read a file with graphics on eb-1150.
Beholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 03:09 AM   #69
PostGrant
Enthusiast
PostGrant began at the beginning.

Device: eBookWise, Dell Axim X5
It can display images. If you're not sure about getting it, here's a good test - go download the eBookwise Librarian software (Google it) and try importing an HTML file. There is an option to view the book (just double click on it) after its converted. It shows you what teh ebook would show you - if it shows you the images, you're good to go.
PostGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 03:24 AM   #70
vikingblade
vikingblade began at the beginning.

hey guys... ive found this forum in my search for a good ebook reader device. the ebookwise does look good. however... im interested in reading new books. not classics. these often only seem available in pdf or ms reader. plus, ive got many books already on my pc in these formats and wanted to read them on a portable unit. so... guess im out of luck unless i go with a pda or pocket pc huh.. seems kinda foolish that a dedicated ebook reader doesnt support the main ebook formats.

how supported will the ebookwise format be... will almost all new novels be available or only best sellers...
vikingblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:53 AM   #71
PostGrant
Enthusiast
PostGrant began at the beginning.

Device: eBookWise, Dell Axim X5
Tough call. I'm pretty dissapointed with industry support of ebooks in general - not every book is available in lit/pdf, and those that are have prices similar to their print forms.

The 1150 shines with personal content, but does lack w/ commercial titles. I find myself still buying print books because many aren't released as ebooks at all.

I mostly bought mine for personal content.
PostGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:05 AM   #72
rmeister0
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beholder
Hi there!
I would like to buy Graphics supporteb-1150 but I would like to clarify some details before I do it.
I will mainly use the pdf datasheets on this device.
These files contain not only text but also graphics(charts, tables and mechanical drawings.
Adobe PDF can be translated to html format with graphics, but it's unclear for me whether this device is capable of displaying graphical objects. If positive than the next question is whether it's possible to use zoom function?
Did anyone tried to read a file with graphics on eb-1150.
The eb-1150 will not be a good solution for you. It is capable of doing modest grey-scale, but it has no zoom ability. The resolution of the screen is pretty low, and while the display quality is sufficient for text, is pretty bad for graphics.

For image-intensive PDFs I use a tablet; some early Acer and NEC LitePad models can be had on eBay for less than $1,000.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:30 PM   #73
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINCNORAD
I purchased a few books off of www.ebookwise.com and noticed that it auto-sorts them into odd categories on the unit itself. It placed a science book into "Fiction" ("A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson) and placed a physics book into "General Interest" ("Parallel Worlds: A Journey Through Creation, Higher Dimensions, and the Future of the Cosmos" by Michio Kaku.)

Anyone know how to edit these? Doesn't seem like the unit allows it, and they don't show up in Ebookwise Librarian software in order for me to edit them in there.
This is one of my main peeves with this device as well. I have contacted the company a few times about this issue and they tell me that it is currently impossible to change the catagories on purchased books but they will pass my concerns on to their developers.
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:24 PM   #74
sierra95758
sierra95758 began at the beginning.

Device: 1150
Changing bookshelf settings

I thought this was extremely limiting, too.

Then I took a shot, and simply tried typing in my own bookshelf/category headings -- and it worked just fine.

In addition, the new headings become available as choices for subsequent titles.

Hope this helps.
sierra95758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 01:41 AM   #75
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
Could you actually change catagories for books you purchased from them? That's my problem. It is easy to change your own books but purchased books seems impossible.
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote