Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
macman134
macman134 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
is there any way to get kindle 3 hacks/mods on a kindle touch?

ive been looking at the long list of kindle 3/keyboard hacks while looking for hacks for my kindle touch, and there are a lot of nice features that i would love to have but arent supported. ive seen the kindle touch hacks wiki but nearly all of them are low level stuff (usbnet, wpa support, extend) and arent much use to a semi smart nerd who just wants to be able to have less tethering to his pc. in short i want to know if someone could port over a few mods (ill try and exclude ones already ported.)
(im typing this on my kindle so im not doing any hyperlinking these mods should be well known)

1: freedownloader, it would be great to download pdfs and mp3s and store them in the correct directory without having to teather to a computer to do so.
2: epub support, reading books without having to convert them in clibre would be aweome.
3: a way to free unsed memory, when reading pdfs and then doing something else like browsing the web or listening to mp3s i notice lag/crashes/freezes but when i restart, it runs much better.
4: a way to stream mp3s: theres another thread on mplayer on KT but aparently it lacks streaming support.

im unsure how hard it would be to do the ports as the archetecture is part java part html, but any help or directions to a thread where the ports are would be greatly apreciated.
macman134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by macman134 View Post
4: a way to stream mp3s: theres another thread on mplayer on KT but aparently it lacks streaming support.
The k4 and touch have a built-in audio player that you can call from a script or SSH command line. It does not have built-in streaming support, but it can read STDIN so you just need to pipe wget into it to play HTTP audio streams.

The audio continues to play over wifi even when the kindle is in screensaver mode, if the USB cable is plugged in to supply power (and the kindle is configured to keep wifi up like it does on the k3).
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Since when K4 has a audio player pls? No speakers, no headphones, will it display on the screen?
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
Since when K4 has a audio player pls? No speakers, no headphones, will it display on the screen?
Oops.. this thread was about the touch, and I was addressing the touch, but my fingers were accustomed to typing K4 along with Touch (from all the debricking posts). But now that you opted to focus our discussion on the side-subject of "no sound on the K4", let's discuss just that for a moment:

The K4 needs a PWM driver to optically-couple audio out the power LEDs, and color-filtered photodiodes to feed stereo audio into an audio amplifer. And software, of course.

P.S. Don't ask me "when" -- that project is WAY down on my "To Do" list. You can probably PWM the accessory power port (square metal pads on the bottom) to drive a speaker directly (with a current-limit resistor), if mono sound is okay. The pad just below the USB port is GND, and the other pad is +4V when enabled.

Or you *could* go "old-school" and put it next to an AM radio and use controlled RFI to "transmit" audio to the radio.

And now that we know these things have external OTG USB ports, you can plug in a USB "sound card", but you may need to power it from the accessory port pads. Check this out for your K4 headphone jack: http://mightyohm.com/blog/2008/10/in...audio-adapter/

It looks small enough to fit INSIDE the K4, if you remove its plastic case and USB jack and solder it inside the K4. Perhaps the K4 has an unused "host-only" USB port for a future 3G modem?

We are usually limited only by our imagination.

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-09-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
macman134
macman134 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
The k4 and touch have a built-in audio player that you can call from a script or SSH command line. It does not have built-in streaming support, but it can read STDIN so you just need to pipe wget into it to play HTTP audio streams.

The audio continues to play over wifi even when the kindle is in screensaver mode, if the USB cable is plugged in to supply power (and the kindle is configured to keep wifi up like it does on the k3).
i was looking for something less along the lines of commands and more like a menu extension. also, what do you call for the player (what command)? is this like piping an audio stream straight to the experimental player?
also, i have an idea that i havent seen in the forum: adding google to the main menu search possibilities. its already in the web search but not in the home search.
also also, was there a terminal emulator i missed?
macman134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:06 AM   #6
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Oops.. this thread was about the touch, and I was addressing the touch, but my fingers were accustomed to typing K4 along with Touch (from all the debricking posts). But now that you opted to focus our discussion on the side-subject of "no sound on the K4", let's discuss just that for a moment:

The K4 needs a PWM driver to optically-couple audio out the power LEDs, and color-filtered photodiodes to feed stereo audio into an audio amplifer. And software, of course.

P.S. Don't ask me "when" -- that project is WAY down on my "To Do" list. You can probably PWM the accessory power port (square metal pads on the bottom) to drive a speaker directly (with a current-limit resistor), if mono sound is okay. The pad just below the USB port is GND, and the other pad is +4V when enabled.

Or you *could* go "old-school" and put it next to an AM radio and use controlled RFI to "transmit" audio to the radio.

And now that we know these things have external OTG USB ports, you can plug in a USB "sound card", but you may need to power it from the accessory port pads. Check this out for your K4 headphone jack: http://mightyohm.com/blog/2008/10/in...audio-adapter/

It looks small enough to fit INSIDE the K4, if you remove its plastic case and USB jack and solder it inside the K4. Perhaps the K4 has an unused "host-only" USB port for a future 3G modem?

We are usually limited only by our imagination.
Great ideas! We should go for a start-up with this sqeezing out some money from a hedgefond. At least as safe as throwing it to Greece.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #7
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by macman134 View Post
ive been looking at the long list of kindle 3/keyboard hacks while looking for hacks for my kindle touch, and there are a lot of nice features that i would love to have but arent supported. ive seen the kindle touch hacks wiki but nearly all of them are low level stuff (usbnet, wpa support, extend) and arent much use to a semi smart nerd who just wants to be able to have less tethering to his pc. in short i want to know if someone could port over a few mods (ill try and exclude ones already ported.)
im unsure how hard it would be to do the ports as the archetecture is part java part html, but any help or directions to a thread where the ports are would be greatly apreciated.
I'm afraid you'll have to try it out for yourself. I'm pretty confident that many, if not all, plain "applications" (Kindlets!) will work without problems.

Everything else is a question of trial and error. In principle, the binaries are compatible (i.e., the same "strace" binary can run on the K3, K4, KT, and even on my wireless router and mobile phone). But as soon as it becomes "Kindle-specific", the systems vastly differ internally. Some things may work, others won't because the KT is organized differently than the other models.

As said, get your hands dirty and try it. There is a reason why there are comparatively few hacks for the KT at the moment, and why many are low-level: the device is still new, and devs obviously focus on the most important aspects first. "Important" is highly subjective of course. Remember that this is all spare-time fun hacking, so everyone is tackling what they find most interesting or useful. (for instance, I for myself have no interest in epub support because I'm perfectly fine with calibre conversion, or for screen rotation because I don't use it -- so I'm rarely chiming in on these topics).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
There is a reason why there are comparatively few hacks for the KT at the moment, and why many are low-level: the device is still new, and devs obviously focus on the most important aspects first. "Important" is highly subjective of course. Remember that this is all spare-time fun hacking, so everyone is tackling what they find most interesting or useful. ....
In the case of "native mode" (arm machine code) programs that output to the eInk display (like the onscreen terminal), the programs designed for the K3 and earlier generally seem to assume that the display framebuffer uses 4 bits-per-pixel. The K4 and newer use 8 bits-per-pixel, and the touch usually has an extra 8 bytes of unused memory at the end of each row of pixels (but not always). The eInk drivers support multiple modes, and it is not always safe to assume anything about the layout. You can do "eips -i" to get information about the current display mode.

For very simple script-level (/bin/sh) eInk support, I have been using the "eips" command (for a lot more than its "eips -i" features). And eips works on the older kindles too.

For a couple of examples of using eips (along with hexdump and dd) for direct control of the eink framebuffer (and reading device input events like touchscreen), look at these very simple scripts:

K4 and Touch (ddplot): https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1997659

Touch (touchpaint): https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1989102

As ixtab said, this is a hobby, so ENJOY the time you spend doing this stuff!

I learned a lot while developing the techniques used in the scripts at the above links (especially how to simplify and speed up the code, while using only the latest script features that work in the busybox shell supplied in the kindles, while reducing calls to external processes like "sed" and "cut"). I hope you find some of the techniques I discovered to be valuable in your future "script kiddie" kindle exploits.

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-10-2012 at 11:09 AM.