Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
Okay, now I'm irked!!!

*grumble grumble grumble* Aggghh!!

I am no longer sure what is MY issue or firmware bugs or just new "features" with 2.1.5!

I sideload my books into the KT with a micro sd card - all my non kpub books are on that sd card. Tonight I finished reading The Moving Finger, but accidentally hit "Delete" instead of "Add To Shelf" to remove it from my "Currently Reading" shelf. It disappeared from the interface, as has happened with previous firmware, but after checking the card, it deleted it from the sd card!! That has NEVER happened before, and I do NOT like that it did that now! Luckily I was next to my computer that had the book, but this is not a good feature - if it is one and not just an issue I'm having!

*grumble grumble grumble*
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #2
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I don't know about "feature"... but I'd expect any book I hit "Delete" on to be removed from the device. You mean to say that if you hit Delete before the book stayed on the SD card? I'd find that really annoying.

Now, a case can definitely be made for a nice, "Are you sure you want to delete this book?" warning message...
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Now, a case can definitely be made for a nice, "Are you sure you want to delete this book?" warning message...
There used to be one...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I didn;t think it ever removed material from an SD card.....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:28 PM   #5
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
It deletes books from the microSD card now? Awesome. Been wanting that for ages. Though I can understand being P.O.'d at finding that out by accidental experience, of course.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2012, 11:57 PM   #6
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Tried this with 1.9.17 as I needed to remove a book anyway and yes if you delete a sideloaded epub that is on the SD card it does indeed delete it from the SD card.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:45 AM   #7
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Tried this with 1.9.17 as I needed to remove a book anyway and yes if you delete a sideloaded epub that is on the SD card it does indeed delete it from the SD card.
Did it ask for confirmation?
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:32 AM   #8
VirgoGirl
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't know about "feature"... but I'd expect any book I hit "Delete" on to be removed from the device. You mean to say that if you hit Delete before the book stayed on the SD card? I'd find that really annoying.
On previous versions, at least below .17, if you hit delete it stayed on the card and when you powered it on from "Powered Off", the book would be re added to your library. I preferred it as I occasionally made the mistake as I did last night.

Quote:
Yeah, it has one. I had a "senior moment" last night, wasn't paying attention to what it said and hit "Confirm". COMPLETELY my fault, I wasn't paying attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger
I must never have been this stupid with .17 as to hit the "delete" button because I didn't have this problem. I DO remember previously having the book reappear in the library after powering the KT back on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT
I didn;t think it ever removed material from an SD card.....
Neither did I, I thought the sd cards were "locked", which gave me piece of mind when it came to the "security" of my elibrary. Now I'm wondering if it will wipe the sd card if you reformat the KT with the card inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg
Quote:
There used to be one...
No, there still is, I am an idiot.

The preloaded firmware on my KT is 1.9.6, so I guess I'm used to the time when the sd card was uneditable by the KT. As I will *cough* occasionally make this mistake, I'M not thrilled with the Touch being able to delete things off the card. I checked the card, there is no "lock" switch. Do you think it would still work if I marked each book "Read Only"?

Thanks for the replies, you make having my KT bearable.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:00 AM   #9
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I always keep my books backed up on my hard drive so if I accidentally deleted something on my reader which I did not intend to, I would be able to get it back.
Nonetheless a warning before deletion should be implemented.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:05 AM   #10
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Did it ask for confirmation?
Yes it did, sorry forgot to mention that part as well. Just double checked to make sure.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:11 AM   #11
Danger
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgoGirl View Post
Neither did I, I thought the sd cards were "locked", which gave me piece of mind when it came to the "security" of my elibrary. Now I'm wondering if it will wipe the sd card if you reformat the KT with the card inside.
Well I have done 3 full resets back to my Kobo's original firmware with the SD card still inside it and never lost a book from the card... so far
Old 11-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #12
VirgoGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Well I have done 3 full resets back to my Kobo's original firmware with the SD card still inside it and never lost a book from the card... so far
Oh good! But, I'm not sure I can trust my KT not to decide to do wipe the card on a restore, the evil little machine that it is.