Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-15-2014, 04:32 AM   #271
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManDay View Post
The only people not seeing the interest in large e-readers are the companies capable of manufacturing them, it appears. Take practically everyone who has to deal with a lot of documents (traditionally paper) which has sensibly to be read at full scale.

Contrary to ridiculously equipped smart-phones which, apparently every 10 year-old today must have, large e-readers are actually 100% purposeful and will, once word gets around, with even greater certainty be purchased by all those people having just the slightest need for it.

I frankly don't understand how there are a dozen established e-reader companies all of which are obsessed with 6" devices. Bluntly speaking, it strikes me as utterly ignorant.
It's about the money. The big companies are taking a loss, or making very little on the devices and make money on selling ebooks instead. People interested in big devices are not interested in reading ebooks on them, so the manufacturers can't take a loss on them.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:11 PM   #272
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
It's about the money. The big companies are taking a loss, or making very little on the devices and make money on selling ebooks instead. People interested in big devices are not interested in reading ebooks on them, so the manufacturers can't take a loss on them.
Right.

I wonder if an education market tie-in could be tapped. If these could really replace paper textbooks, then that would be a masive market. But I'm sure there is some resistance to that from publishers because paper textbooks are probably very profitable.
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2014, 07:19 PM   #273
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by toronado View Post
Right.

I wonder if an education market tie-in could be tapped. If these could really replace paper textbooks, then that would be a masive market. But I'm sure there is some resistance to that from publishers because paper textbooks are probably very profitable.
For education it would make more sense to go the tablet route rather than eink. At least everything pre college. The current young generation that is in school right now is glued to their smart phones - so apperently there is nothing wrong with reading on those for hours straight. With addition of color and video traditional textbooks can be enhanced quite nicely - neither of which is available in eink very well.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #274
mSSM
Connoisseur? Addict!
mSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with others

Device: Onyx M92
At the moment, ereaders are useless for higher education. Since 2011, I own an Onyx M92.Originally, I bought it to read textbooks and scientific articles. While I do have several 100 MB of both loaded onto the device, I mainly use it for pleasure reading or, at best, looking up a paper while on the road. Nothing beats the simplicity and spead of going back and forth between actual physical pages. An actual computer is able to simulate that, but even that is inconvient. An ebook reader is simply too painfully slow.

Any suggestion to the contrary makes me doubt if the person suggesting to use an ereader for serious studying has, in fact, used an ereader for said purpose.
mSSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:12 AM   #275
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSSM View Post
At the moment, ereaders are useless for higher education. Since 2011, I own an Onyx M92.Originally, I bought it to read textbooks and scientific articles. While I do have several 100 MB of both loaded onto the device, I mainly use it for pleasure reading or, at best, looking up a paper while on the road. Nothing beats the simplicity and spead of going back and forth between actual physical pages. An actual computer is able to simulate that, but even that is inconvient. An ebook reader is simply too painfully slow.
Generally, I disagree. While to a certain degree it surely depends on one's personal preference and in particular style of reading, I find my M92 well suited for scientific reading as far as hardware is concerned.

I agree that in practice, the speed makes it, say, uintuitively slow to flip between pages in two regards: Flipping pages is rather slow and navigating in general is a pain in the back. However, I attribute that solely to poor software design.

As far as hardware is concerned, the limiting factor is the response time of the screen and the bandwidth between memory and screen. Former is - as I think we can conclude from the video posted here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=757 - sufficiently fast to allow for an intuitive speed. Latter is simply a design choice.

The problem lies with software and hardware producers generally relying on in-house, inept software developers (or give possibly skilled developers too little time to produce adequate software).
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2014, 06:53 PM   #276
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Right.

I'm not sure about this. Kno tried dedicated devices and failed. They offer multi-platform software now.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:06 PM   #277
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm not sure about this. Kno tried dedicated devices and failed. They offer multi-platform software now.
That's cause nobody knows Kno.

My point is this can be done, but you need a big company like Apple to do it.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:16 PM   #278
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I'm not sure that most people want a device that is only for one thing, and that one thing being for classwork. I would count teachers in that group, too. Once they find out they can't use it as a tablet, they're going to lose all enthusiasm for it.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:18 AM   #279
toronado
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I'm not sure that most people want a device that is only for one thing, and that one thing being for classwork. I would count teachers in that group, too. Once they find out they can't use it as a tablet, they're going to lose all enthusiasm for it.
Well, maybe when the 12.9" iPad comes out it will be what ends up in the classrooms.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/10...n-the-fall.htm
Quote:
Apple will reportedly market the larger iPad to the enterprise and education market...

Last edited by toronado; 08-19-2014 at 04:20 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:45 PM   #280
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
That's cause nobody knows Kno.

My point is this can be done, but you need a big company like Apple to do it.
Or it is because the students have at least a laptop and/or tablet anyway.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:59 PM   #281
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
i got via email a note from pocketbook on their planned release of the Pocketbook CAD Reader:
Thank you for your interest in Pocketbook products.
Pocketbook CAD Reader is under development; this model will come into the market in the second half of the 2014 (approximately in November-December), and the device will become available for order online on our official webpage. The price will be announced later. More information on this model can be found in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5yE...M3pyfB3CNNSM1g
Pocketbook Cad Reader will support the following formats: PDF, PDF (DRM), EPUB, EPUB(DRM), DJVU, FB2, FB2.ZIP, DOC, DOCX, RTF, PRC, TCR, TXT, CHM, HTM, HTML, DWG

this will certainly be the one most people will flock to compared to the sony 13.3" given that it is priced almost 50% cheaper. with the change to the new screen, the price may increase. but i think it will still be much cheaper than the sony. that, and the fact that it will support a lot more file formats.
the sony 13.3" pdf reader is now available for all in the u.s. but at $1100, get it now or wait for the pocketbook cad reader later?
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:24 PM   #282
toronado
Addict

Quote:
Or it is because the students have at least a laptop and/or tablet anyway.
I think not. Innovative companies will always find a way to make some previously unneeded and unimagined product seem absolutely essential.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:37 AM   #283
Huyggy
Zealot
Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Onyx Max 3 & Onyx Lumi 2
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huyggy View Post
no, the stand is included. Nothing fancy here, it's only a plastic foldable stand but it's okay.
Hey, little update here.
I've still got my FamilyPad 2 bought more than 2 years ago!
And guess what? At 13.3", this is the only affordable largest display reader (I prefer not to think about the "alternative" reader like the $1k sony reader Digital Paper DPTS1... ).
Unfortunately, the FamilyPad 2 is now discontinued, so I may have a very rare product here (search into Ebay if you can...)

Thanks a lot. 2 years, and absolutely no evolution in this field...

I've got the impression that the manufacturers want more and more to follow the masses (IPad mini 3 : what innovation ). A sign of the economic crisis?
Huyggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 03:41 AM   #284
toronado
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huyggy View Post
$1k sony reader Digital Paper DPTS1
Price has dropped to $799.

No competition (from Amazon), so no downward price pressure.

Last edited by toronado; 07-05-2015 at 03:43 AM.