Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-19-2014, 09:53 AM   #61
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Is the subscription service even worth it if you're only getting one book a month?
Actually, it may be for the market that they are addressing. Knowing several women who are members of their target focus groups, women in book clubs either get their books from the library or think nothing of buying a hard cover at $12-18 at Target per month. At $8.99/month plus discount on other books, they will be likely using their phones or tablets or devices they already have to read these books. On the other hand, these are also the person who haven't YET adapted to ereading. They may stick with deadtree books. I can't see Target making a success of this without having an app though.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:13 PM   #62
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
Another, important, distinction - amongst those hacked - is how they proceed from there to inform and help protect the public.
Other than PR-wise, I don't think that's really an issue. Your credit card already IS fraud protected through the issuing bank. You're only legally responsible for the first $50 of fraudulent charges, and nearly every bank will waive that.

It's inconvenient to get your credit cards all replaced, but it's still safer to use CCs than cash, because if your cash is stolen, there's no recourse at all.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:43 PM   #63
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Other than PR-wise, I don't think that's really an issue. Your credit card already IS fraud protected through the issuing bank. You're only legally responsible for the first $50 of fraudulent charges, and nearly every bank will waive that.

It's inconvenient to get your credit cards all replaced, but it's still safer to use CCs than cash, because if your cash is stolen, there's no recourse at all.
True think of Home Depot. Ladies and Gents get ready to have your cards replaced again. *groans* but I learned alot about Target during that period and they lost me as a customer. If you can't trust a CEO to be truthful about things why would you trust them with your money?
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:44 AM   #64
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Other than PR-wise, I don't think that's really an issue.
I beg to differ, and so do others.

For example, the following article addresses what companies should NOT do before, during, and after a breach: JULIE CRESWELL and NICOLE PERLROTH. (SEPT. 19, 2014). "Technology: Ex-Employees Say Home Depot Left Data Vulnerable." The New York Times.

And this post documents some consequences suffered by a number of companies (and multiple stakeholder groups) after said companies did not respond appropriately after their data was hacked: Karen Chu. (August 24, 2014). "Security: The Right (And Wrong) Way to Respond to a Data Breach." Bitium.

The implications - tangible and intangible - are greater than those you noted.

Last edited by Froide; 09-23-2014 at 04:23 AM.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:23 PM   #65
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Actually, it may be for the market that they are addressing. Knowing several women who are members of their target focus groups, women in book clubs either get their books from the library or think nothing of buying a hard cover at $12-18 at Target per month. At $8.99/month plus discount on other books, they will be likely using their phones or tablets or devices they already have to read these books. On the other hand, these are also the person who haven't YET adapted to ereading. They may stick with deadtree books. I can't see Target making a success of this without having an app though.
I'm told Target is promoting Librify in stores:
https://twitter.com/AbbieStrader/sta...24161151418370

That's their app.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:05 AM   #66
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
I wonder what can Target offer that Amazon does not offer?
For some what Target is adding is the ability to get the ebooks from a store that they know. With the multitude of computer security concerns a lot of people are warry of surfing to large e-stores such as amazon. Target offers a web site that they can be more sure that it does not have virus and other hacking schemes. Although there is some foundation for these sort of issues, computer security eperts that I work with every day say that Amazon is a "safe" site.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:28 PM   #67
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
For some what Target is adding is the ability to get the ebooks from a store that they know. With the multitude of computer security concerns a lot of people are warry of surfing to large e-stores such as amazon. Target offers a web site that they can be more sure that it does not have virus and other hacking schemes. Although there is some foundation for these sort of issues, computer security eperts that I work with every day say that Amazon is a "safe" site.
Target recently had a HUGE data breach, so no, that's not it.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:25 AM   #68
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Amazon is pretty well trusted by everyone, I'd think.

Target, on the other hand:
Quote:
Target recently had a HUGE data breach, so no, that's not it.
If anything, that is an excellent example of everything Target cannot offer.

I suspect the real answer to "what can Target offer" is nothing, except the faint hope that they will remain relevant.
That is not an offer to customers, it is an offer to shareholders.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:41 AM   #69
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post

I suspect the real answer to "what can Target offer" is nothing, except the faint hope that they will remain relevant.
I know what you are saying however a lot of my friends are telling me, rightly or wrongly they trust target and not amazon.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:30 PM   #70
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
I know what you are saying however a lot of my friends are telling me, rightly or wrongly they trust target and not amazon.
I always feel cold and empty inside when I visit a Target...
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:13 PM   #71
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Well, OK then.

I was simply unaware there was anyone like that.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:52 PM   #72
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
I always feel cold and empty inside when I visit a Target...
..LOL! (And Target's décor is a hot red. How do you feel when visiting Walmart, whose décor is a cold blue?)

Last edited by Froide; 12-08-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:38 PM   #73
rollei
Addict
rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post

Let's hope Target learn from the security breach and improve their security.

They have good sales now and then, I buy anything from groceries to home fixtures and electronics from them.
rollei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:24 PM   #74
dkperez
Groupie
dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nine
Well, at the moment I've got about 100 titles I can't find in any of the library systems I'm hooked into. Or the 3M cloud from 3 libraries. So, I'll do a quick search and see how many are in librify...

'Cause if they aren't cheaper there than Amazon, I'm sure not gonna pay to join....... Back in a bit...
dkperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:41 PM   #75
dkperez
Groupie
dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nine
Found a GRAND total of OND BOOK from my to-be-found list...

Only One I'm actually after is Patterson's NYPD RED 3. And they want TWELVE DOLLARS for the thing as a MEMBER...

I must not be the demographic they're after... LOTTA chick lit, though. And a LOT of really old stuff from several years and a half dozen newer books ago.
dkperez is offline   Reply With Quote