Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-21-2009, 09:36 PM   #1
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I hate Amazon.

They make it too easy.

So, I think I've had my kindle all of 3 hours and I just spent like 100 bucks.

The real kick in the pants is that the majority of the purchases are books I already own.

I now have Kindle versions of my dead tree books that I just never got around to lugging everywhere enough to finish.

Off to read. =)

Now to figure out the screensaver hack to put the real[ book covers of my books on there.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Evil, isn't it?

Amazon has one primary sales strategy - make it easy. And everything they do is to that end... cheap shipping, free shipping, one click checkout, the Kindle, even the selection is more about you being on their website to order other things!

Brilliant though.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2009, 09:39 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
We've all been there. Enjoy!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:41 PM   #4
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
It's diabolical, really. Bezos is an evil, evil genius.

Off to read. =)
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:24 PM   #5
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I spent at least $100 in the first week, they make it far too easy to buy more books and the evil buggers have far too many books in their shop

I tried to avoid getting ebooks when I had the paper alternative, but even just buying new books quickly became expensive. Evil!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2009, 01:42 AM   #6
Novelwriter
Big Dog
Novelwriter began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
They make it too easy.

So, I think I've had my kindle all of 3 hours and I just spent like 100 bucks.

The real kick in the pants is that the majority of the purchases are books I already own.

I now have Kindle versions of my dead tree books that I just never got around to lugging everywhere enough to finish.

Off to read. =)

Now to figure out the screensaver hack to put the real[ book covers of my books on there.
How about making it $100.99 !!!!!

Novelwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:50 AM   #7
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
and the books are free at the local library
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:04 AM   #8
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Maybe for you. My library has about 1/15th of the books I buy/read. Even in their extended network.

When I move I can do interlibrary loans but it's a few bucks and takes 6 weeks so....
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:15 AM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
and the books are free at the local library
I hate having to read a book within a certain amount of time or having to wait until it becomes available. I think Libraries are great but they aren't for everyone... free or not.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:15 PM   #10
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I hate having to read a book within a certain amount of time or having to wait until it becomes available. I think Libraries are great but they aren't for everyone... free or not.
Me too. From the time I was ten years old, and for the next 70 years or so, I was a library freak, reading all I could find, as well as buying pBooks. However, since getting the Kindle1 more than a year and a half ago, have not set foot in a library. For the reasons you list here and also because it takes so much time browsing through the stacks, reading the blurbs, and trying to find what I want to read. Really tiresome. Same reason I gave up on Blockbuster and use Netflix.

Yeah, Jaxx, you have to get a grip, once the initial euphoria wears off and try not to buy the full 1500 books the K2 supposedly holds. You can load up hundreds of free public domain classics, however, and save some $$ that-a-way. Have fun!
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:28 PM   #11
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
welcome to the club! after you get over that initial shock, elation an so on (and your wallet is REALLY doing the ) check out the freebies (and cheapies). they have seriously been keeping me very busy! a few have been good enough to encourage me to get "the next in a series" or something else full price by the same author. doing it that way has certainly kept the bank account sane!
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:58 PM   #12
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
The ebooks at the library can help suppliment your book budget. Some of the bigger ones are adding new ebooks weekly. "Free" is a good price, plus you can do it from the comfort of your arm chair.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:52 PM   #13
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I feel your pain but then again there are plenty of free books to keep you busy for quite a while... though what happens to me is that I get a free book, I read it, and I then end up buying the other books by the same author... a damn effective tactic if you ask me lol
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:01 PM   #14
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
Now I feel like such a piker. In the three days I've had my Kindle I've only purchased the three books I plan to be reading for the next couple weeks. I did put a bunch of stuff on my save for later list though. Downloaded a bunch of samples two of which actually dissuaded me from wanting to buy the corresponding books the rest I'll probably buy the books when I finish the three I've got currently lined up on it.
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:29 PM   #15
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teyrnon View Post
Now I feel like such a piker. In the three days I've had my Kindle I've only purchased the three books I plan to be reading for the next couple weeks. I did put a bunch of stuff on my save for later list though. Downloaded a bunch of samples two of which actually dissuaded me from wanting to buy the corresponding books the rest I'll probably buy the books when I finish the three I've got currently lined up on it.
Each of us approaches this differently. The first book I read on the Kindle was one of David Baldacci's mysteries and then it was 12 days later before I bought another book from Amazon. I've tried to be a bit conservative about buying current-release books from Amazon, though I'll snap up all the freebies I can find. Not only from Amazon, but from MobileRead, Feedbooks, Baen, and author websites. I'm also a real sucker for the $1-and-under specials that come up from time to time at Amazon. I'm anxiously awaiting the August freebies from Random House's Suduvu site. They say 3 books will be listed tomorrow!

So far (17 Feb 2008 - 1 Aug 2009) I have "bought" 197 books from Amazon.com. Of these, 100 were free and 38 more were under $2.00. I've read 64 of the books I purchased from Amazon. I do feel obliged to read the one that I actually paid for before the freebies. So, there are 48 books with prices ranging from $0.10 to 12.86 which I have not yet read.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote