Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-27-2014, 02:08 PM   #31
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I don't know what is up as far as compatibility. I looked over at Amazon and they do in fact have the same book for the same price there. So there must be some sort of compatible file for Amazon to be able to have it in Kindle format just as Kobo has it in their epub file.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:26 PM   #32
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
It's a bit of a PITA, but once I got in the habit of adding the preview of books I'm thinking about buying to my Kobo library -- and making sure it says "Download options: Adobe DRM EPUB" beside that book in my library, I've never bought a surprise kepub-only book since.

I went to buy Jasper Fforde's Eye of Zoltar this morning, and the missing "Download options: Adobe DRM EPUB" sent me straight to Google books to get a proper epub. Crisis averted. I'm not going to flip over a couple of extra mouse-clicks (even though I agree these kepub-only books should be clearly identified in the product description). With B&N starting to shut the door on downloading/sideloading, I'm not willing to dump another epub retailer over a situation that I can easily avoid.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-27-2014 at 02:30 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2014, 03:48 PM   #33
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Since Kobo took on Sony's customer base a while back, I'm not so sure that that's true.
Yep, that's what I was going to mention. Now that Sony readers have direct access to the Kobo bookstore, they need to find a system to flag those books that won't work on straight ePub devices.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:49 PM   #34
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They are able to be viewed in ereaders: Kobo ereaders. You wouldn't expect to be able to view them on a Kindle, for example, would you?
But I would expect to be able to view them in a Sony Reader, since Sony Readers now have direct access to the Kobo Market.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:54 PM   #35
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
Kobo ereaders use different engines to render epubs and kepubs. The epub engine is based on Digital Editions and probably doesn't handle epub3 correctly. My guess is that Kobo decided from a customer service perspective to simply not allow downloads of books that aren't supported by their reader software.
If they want to do that, that's fine. But they have to flag the books as "KePub" or "ePub." That's the problem. Otherwise they have to make it clear the Kobo Bookstore is designed only for Kobo Readers -- and tell Sony Reader users to ignore their Kobo Bookstore app.
Advert
Old 10-27-2014, 03:56 PM   #36
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Their reader software now includes Sony readers that were upgraded to use Kobo's store. I wonder if kepub only books are shown to Sony ereaders when shopping from the device.
They were in the past and I haven't seen any firmware upgrade to address the issue. Sony Reader users have already had issues with this.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:00 PM   #37
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Kobo really should bring back the file type info.
That's the biggest issue right there. You're blind to what you're getting.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:02 PM   #38
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I haven't been able to find the folder for some reason. I've looked in 'my documents' and in 'my programs' and so far I've found no sign of the book. I even looked round my desktop. So far nothing.
Kobo books are stored in Appdata/Local/Kobo/KDE/kepub folder. But they are in a Sqlite database file and cannot be loaded into Calibre without a certain tool.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:16 PM   #39
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
It kind of is Kobo's responsibility to tell us what it is we're buying, rather than leaving us to come up with some vague heuristic to guess it ourselves. They have definitely lost one sale from me, and if I ever get sold something I can't use, or can only use in some ugly compromised way (Mr PDF), they will lose a customer.
I've one Kobo purchase that won't even download to Kobo desktop. After the fact, I've noted that, indeed, "computer" is not included among the devices on the product page. Despite being an ordinary history book with text, not graphics, it can only be read on tablets, where it downloads as an entire chapter per "page." I've decided not to obsess about it and be more careful in the future.

Quote:
Still frustrating for those folks that sideload everything. Kobo really should bring back the file type info.
You've got to sideload everything even to Kobo readers, AFAIC, given how bloated kepubs are. My Glo maxed out at fewer than 200 books when I attempted to download my Kobo library.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:57 PM   #40
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Kobo books are stored in Appdata/Local/Kobo/KDE/kepub folder. But they are in a Sqlite database file and cannot be loaded into Calibre without a certain tool.
Still not much help as I can't even find the Appdata folder.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:15 PM   #41
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Open Explorer and type %appdata%
aPACHE
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:15 PM   #42
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Doesn't matter. You can't attack it that way, anyway. The file by itself wouldn't do you any good. The Sqlite database needs to be queried to get everything necessary (including the filename) for liberation to proceed.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:16 PM   #43
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
I'm about to start organising my thoughts to explain where the App Data folder is ..... but in the meantime, is the book sitting in Kobo Desktop? (I'm presuming that you've got Kobo Desktop installed?)
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:34 PM   #44
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
I'm about to start organising my thoughts to explain where the App Data folder is ..... but in the meantime, is the book sitting in Kobo Desktop? (I'm presuming that you've got Kobo Desktop installed?)
Yep. I have it in the desktop app. Can't find it elsewhere though. Why must they make things so complicated?
Old 10-27-2014, 05:38 PM   #45
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Yep. I have it in the desktop app. Can't find it elsewhere though. Why must they make things so complicated?
Then things are looking up for you

Open Calibre, open the [deleted] plugin, look for the book in the listing and click. Voila

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-28-2014 at 04:53 AM.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote