Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What freedoms are very important to you in relation to your ebooks?
To be able to backup my ebooks in a format readable even if the Vendor is no longer around. 102 94.44%
To be able to read my ebooks on any device I choose. 97 89.81%
To be able to read my ebooks in any application I choose. 73 67.59%
To be able to easily convert my ebooks between formats. 83 76.85%
To be able to purchase ebooks at prices significantly lower than the same paper title. 54 50.00%
To be able to opt-out of monitoring of your reading habits and collecting of data about your reading. 65 60.19%
To be able to purchase ebooks without geographical restrictions. 60 55.56%
To be able to borrow ebooks from libraries. 63 58.33%
To be able to purchase ebooks free of DRM. 71 65.74%
To be able to lend ebooks to family and/or friends. 44 40.74%
To be able to re-sell your ebooks. 19 17.59%
Other. (Please post details). 5 4.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-20-2014, 12:48 PM   #16
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Interesting list. I'm not sure they all count as freedoms though. And some of them depend on multiple factors. So lack of DRM would ease conversion but easy conversion depends on the availability of conversion tools. If you don't find Calibre easy to use has that impinged on your freedom?

I also don't think you have a "freedom" to demand a certain price, even a price relative to something else. You do have the freedom not to buy at a price you don't like.

If you're modeling this after Stallman's four software freedoms then I think you should boil it down to fewer more generic items and have your existing list as illustrations of the utility those freedoms provide.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:00 PM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I value the freedom to read my ebooks in relative peace and quiet.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2014, 02:47 PM   #18
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I value the freedom to read my ebooks in relative peace and quiet.
People are still trying to gain that right for pbooks so I'm afraid you might have a bit of a wait.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:54 PM   #19
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
I do agree that some rights are far more important than others, and that people have different priorities. I agree with you that access and affordability are of primary importance. I am not surprised that at the time of posting every single respondent has regarded backups in accessible format as important. On the other hand, it is not surprising to me in these days of social media that privacy does not seem to be a major concern, at least on current results.
I'm not surprised either. If I buy something I want to know that I will be able to continue to use it til either it wears out or I do. And really what privacy does the average person have in this digital age? With the right basic info about you I could find out everything from where you went to pre-school to what you like to have for breakfast. All that information is likely to be in a database or perhaps several databases somewhere in this world. We have an appearance of privacy but true privacy (where no one knows anything about the person next door) is an illusion I think. I understand hackers (traditionally) would dumpster dive for some of their information. So even your trash can tell others something about you in a general sense. And if I walk by your house and see a baseball, a tricycle and other toys in the yard I can pretty much tell that it's a family home with kids.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:00 PM   #20
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I checked everythong, except borrowing, lending and reselling.

I never borrow and will never lend or sell books, paper or digital.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2014, 09:39 PM   #21
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
I tried to include the major rights I could think of plus a facility to at least mention those I missed. GeoffR already pointed out two other "rights" that could have been included.

I do agree that some rights are far more important than others, and that people have different priorities. I agree with you that access and affordability are of primary importance. I am not surprised that at the time of posting every single respondent has regarded backups in accessible format as important. On the other hand, it is not surprising to me in these days of social media that privacy does not seem to be a major concern, at least on current results.
I did not consider the privacy angle, simply because I think, what with social media and everything, it is the kind of thing that pervades everything, why should my ebooks be any different?

This is what the Kindle jailbreak+KUAL+BBB Firewall is for, and AdblockPlus+Ghostery+Co. in the browser, and and using exorcism-class avoidance techniques for Facebook and the like.
The responsibility for protecting your privacy is on the user. It's just plain old reality.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:46 PM   #22
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
Interesting list. I'm not sure they all count as freedoms though. And some of them depend on multiple factors. So lack of DRM would ease conversion but easy conversion depends on the availability of conversion tools. If you don't find Calibre easy to use has that impinged on your freedom?

I also don't think you have a "freedom" to demand a certain price, even a price relative to something else. You do have the freedom not to buy at a price you don't like.

If you're modeling this after Stallman's four software freedoms then I think you should boil it down to fewer more generic items and have your existing list as illustrations of the utility those freedoms provide.
Your criticisms are largely accurate. In my defence, I will say that this was not a professional exercise on my part, just a throwaway attempt in a short time to put something together to get an idea what people value being able to do with their ebooks. Some of the items on the list don't sit very easily with the concept of either freedom or rights. A good example is price. A better question would not have framed this in terms of freedom, but of how important price actually was, or better yet, address affordability directly.

Stallman's freedoms, believe it or not, did not enter into my head. This is just a quick throwaway exercise to get people's opinions and encourage a discussion.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:51 AM   #23
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Most of my answers stem from the same problem: DRM

I want to be able to read on any device of my choosing, on any app of my choosing, in any format of my choosing.

Beside that, I don't want anybody to look over my shoulder while reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I did also because, really, if the author chooses to sell books through one publisher in the U.S. (for example) and another publisher in England (for example) there's not really much the eBook vendor can do about that.
Why should I be stopped from reading a book if there is nobody who wants to sell it in my region? I don't mind that there are different prices for the same book, due to the circumstances you describe. But I do mind that I cannot buy a book on Amazon.com, because there's a European publisher, who sells that same book on Amazon.co.uk, where I cannot buy the book because I, being Dutch, am only allowed to buy books at Amazon.com (and I do mention Amazon because if I want to buy English books, it's about the only choice I have, as I cannot buy at English ebookstores at all and the Dutch ones don't offer a lot of English...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:32 AM   #24
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
DRM free, be able to backup.

As far as format goes, we need a common format. Enough with having to mess up with conversions.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:08 PM   #25
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Due to restrictive DRM being on most ebooks on the market, I have bought very few ebooks.
I DO however download books from the free repositories such as Gutenberg project and from here.

It's a shame though, as my book spending has dropped dramatically as well since I adopted ereaders years ago.
I would have spent probably $20 a month minimum with spending spikes when certain books I wanted were released in pbook format.

But I don't tend to buy physical books anymore, as I prefer the convenience of ebooks.

So a lot of re-reading, legally free books and one other thing I do is read a lot of new authors books where the first book is free, which can be interesting.

One day, when I can reliably and regularly buy ebooks in general without DRM, I'll probably get back into my old spending habits. Until then, I guess I'm a lost customer.

removal of DRM happened with music, so I expect one day it'll happen with ebooks.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:06 PM   #26
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I love the freedom of cloud/vendor storage. If my device (Kindle) breaks or gets lost, the replacement simply accesses my content and re-downloads in a few minutes. I am no longer responsible for backing up the content.

I love the freedom that it's electronic and not in a box in the storage area, garage, upstairs or downstairs shelves. I have literally bought a second copy of a book because it was easier than trying to find my old copy somewhere.

(While we are sharing... )

I miss the B&M experience of discovering a new (or old) book by a favorite author.

I miss seeing the cover art every time I pick up my book. I don't recognize the books I have purchased visually any more and I have tried to re-purchase a few books. But Amazon catches this.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:44 AM   #27
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
OK, I just came up with one "Real" freedom I want/value with regard to ebooks.

...to be able to once and for all tell ebook producers to shove the Charis-SIL font where the sun doesn't shine. I am soooooo tired of having that font shoved down my throat. It's like the door-to-door vacuum-cleaner salesman of fonts. GO AWAY!!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:11 AM   #28
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:

...to be able to once and for all tell ebook producers to shove the Charis-SIL font where the sun doesn't shine. I am soooooo tired of having that font shoved down my throat. It's like the door-to-door vacuum-cleaner salesman of fonts. GO AWAY!!
OMG! How could I have overlooked including that in the poll?
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:24 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I want to be able to give my eBooks that I'll never read again to someone else. That means having the downloadable file at the shop it was purchased move to the account of the person receiving this eBook.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:14 AM   #30
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:

LOL

It's not even an ereader optimized font. I wonder why so many publishers insist on including it. Just don't set a font, and use small images for special headers.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote