Notices

Old 01-30-2008, 10:40 PM   #1
Nytngale
Enthusiast
Nytngale began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Treo 700, Verizon Voyager
Stupid charging question

Hi everyone,
Picked my 505 up tonite to read and was unable to turn it on. Had charged the battery a little while last nite via USB. When I detached the reader from the computer the battery bar appeared full. Might have left the screen on last nite when I finished reading. How could I have gone from a full battery bar to totally discharged battery over night. I will say that I have not charged it for over 10 days as the battery bar was okay, but have been reading every nite. Is it possible that the battery indicator isn't all that accurate? I assumed that it was run down based on my lack of charging over a fairly lengthy time - but just don't get the misleading indicator.

sw
Nytngale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:02 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The meters do seem to be a bit inaccurate for the first couple of cycles, but they seem to sort themselves out pretty quickly.

A couple of things to keep in mind, and one to check: the Reader still uses power even when it's "off," unless you use the "full shutdown" option (or something like that, it's in a sub-menu of the the utilities menu -- a good thing to use if you know you won't be using it for a few days); because of that, leaving the display "on" doesn't use any more power than not doing so; and you might make sure you don't have an audio file playing in the background somehow, that'll run the battery down right quick, real fast and in a hurry -- I finally just deleted all audio files off my 500 just to avoid that issue.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2008, 11:08 PM   #3
Nytngale
Enthusiast

Thank you for the pointers. I am going on vacation soon and will be really ticked if my reader runs down as I am heading out to my deck chair!
Old 01-31-2008, 12:26 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
That would, indeed, be nothing short of tragic.

Glad I could help you enjoy your vacation with a light heart and a charged Reader!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:29 AM   #5
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
I'd also recommend picking up a Sony PSP charger. Charges the Reader much faster and more reliably than USB.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2008, 06:29 AM   #6
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Also, don't use external memory cards if you can help it, as they seem to take power even if not being read from.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:50 PM   #7
roofone
Enthusiast
roofone began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, ipod, ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Also, don't use external memory cards if you can help it, as they seem to take power even if not being read from.
A secure digital card in my reader takes a bar a day whether I'm reading or not (in suspend mode, no idea how it's affected fully off).
roofone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:55 PM   #8
mdt1007
mdt1007 began at the beginning.

that's really unfortunate and shouldn't happen. I keep a PQI 60x 2GB card in there and without using the reader at all, I drop a bar per week, which seems to be the general consensus.
mdt1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:05 PM   #9
Nytngale
Enthusiast

Thanks again everyone. I just received my Sony charger tonite (has been on backorder from Abt electronics since early January) - great to know that it will be faste than my computer!
Old 02-01-2008, 10:29 AM   #10
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
You can read on the PRS-505 while its charging from a PSP charger. Therefore, a USB to PSP cable and a USB battery pack can save you.

Andy
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:32 AM   #11
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
I recommend the PSP Y USB cable. This cable has both a USB connect and DC charging cable for the PSP or the 505. The other end simply plugs into your computer or brick charger. This can be found at any BB or Gamestop, etc and usually cost between 6.99 and 9.99.

Works great and is highly recommended.
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote