Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-28-2011, 04:31 PM   #121
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I think it is a problem, and I sure wish I knew what was different about the devices like mine, that do not have an issue with page turns, and the ones that do. It should be consistent across devices.
I wonder... There is one thing consistent; the user.

It would be interesting if we could have someone who has frequent page turn issues use a Touch that belongs to a non page turn issue, and vice-versa.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:46 PM   #122
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I have a very small dead zone in the lower right hand corner of my screen. If I tap there, I get no page turn. I don't though then get a double turn. I have no doubt that some hardware/software issues can be traced to user behaviour--perhaps to what the user does during the install process, itself. I am pretty patient, if a process needs to be followed, I don't take short cuts, If it is going to take awhile, I go away for a bit and let it do its thing.

I am not saying the double tap issues are in any way related to this, but I do know that my devices tend to work better than my husband's toys and he is a very impatient person who very seldom reads directions and tries to hurry things along.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 04:48 PM   #123
mconh
Connoisseur
mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, AuraHD, AuraH20
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I wonder... There is one thing consistent; the user.

It would be interesting if we could have someone who has frequent page turn issues use a Touch that belongs to a non page turn issue, and vice-versa.
No. It is not the user. I gave mine to my Sister to try and she had the double page turns not long after going through a few pages. She said "what happened there?".

My tendency was to blame it on her long fingernails!
mconh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:48 PM   #124
yhamm
Zealot
yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h20
I wonder if the size of the file has anything to do with the double page turn issue. I was reading The Dresden Files Collections (Books 1 to 6 then Books 7 to 12) and it took a long time to load the books (from internal memory not mSD) and sometimes took a few seconds for a page turn to register. If I got impatient and tapped again, it would result in a double page turn; if I waited, the page turns were fine. Otherwise, "normal" length books work fine on my Touch.
yhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:55 PM   #125
dafrizz
Ultimate Player
dafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo 1, Kobo Touch
I'm in the same boat as Geeky: does anyone have the direct download link for the new firmware ? The old link doesn't seem to work anymore.

Thanks.
dafrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 06:25 PM   #126
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconh View Post
No. It is not the user. I gave mine to my Sister to try and she had the double page turns not long after going through a few pages. She said "what happened there?".

My tendency was to blame it on her long fingernails!
I agree I have also noticed the double page turn still in this firmware was well. It just occured to me, I was wondeing if the double turn was caused by an accidental touch

Last edited by jackastor; 11-28-2011 at 06:27 PM.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:10 PM   #127
ndr76
ndr76 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafrizz View Post
I'm in the same boat as Geeky: does anyone have the direct download link for the new firmware ? The old link doesn't seem to work anymore.

Thanks.
http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...ate-1.9.14.zip
ndr76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:16 PM   #128
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Ugh.. I think my stress testing is going to make me late to update my firmware.. :P It told me I didn't have enough free memory so I should delete some books. LOL I guess I have a bit of reading to do...

At least we know now that it is checking properly for space before downloading something too large.. :P
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:02 PM   #129
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xennex1170 View Post
Ugh.. I think my stress testing is going to make me late to update my firmware.. :P It told me I didn't have enough free memory so I should delete some books. LOL I guess I have a bit of reading to do...

At least we know now that it is checking properly for space before downloading something too large.. :P
A siren goes off at the Kobo office every time someone hits that message

Congrats!
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:30 PM   #130
moorejl57
moorejl57 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
I too have the missed page turn with a ~5 sec dead period (taps ignored) and then two page turns on a future tap. This has been consistant through all firmware revisions.

I had assummed that it was bad filtering of the infrared input, but maybe it is a queueing of inputs or missed/overlapped interrupts?

I write code for small embedded systems and I never use an operating system (RTOS) as a base since I need my code to work 100% of the time, so everything runs as state machines in a single application. I get very consistant behavior this way and save memory space as well.

The issues I see on my touch seem like operating system hangups which appear to the user as application issues since we just run the one app.
moorejl57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:38 PM   #131
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Look, this double page turn issue is dead easy for the Kobo team to solve. Just clear the freakin' queue after processing a page turn. A device like this with slow screen response has no business queuing up touches except on the keyboard.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:56 PM   #132
mconh
Connoisseur
mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, AuraHD, AuraH20
This is another example of double page turn.

On the home page, I select Library.
Next I select Books.
Books selection button goes black.
Nothing happens. Wait ten minutes.
Still nothing.

Tap Books again and bang it opens up the first Book in the library. It seems like on the second tap it page turns like greased lightening and opens the book underneath before you can raise your finger.

I think the same process happens on the double page turns when reading.

This does not happen all the time, just often enough to drive you nuts. It's the inconsistency that is frustrating.
mconh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:12 AM   #133
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
I definitely have the double page turn issue, and I still get it with the 1.9.14. I know it isn't the way I touch, because I tried an experiment - tapped once, no response so left the reader for 30 secs or so, then tapped again - double page turn. It doesn't happen often, but is just annoying.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:27 AM   #134
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
I definitely have the double page turn issue, and I still get it with the 1.9.14. .... It doesn't happen often, but is just annoying.
Me too. Been there since the first day I purchased the Touch.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:52 AM   #135
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Now that you mention it, since the 1.9.14 update, I've had no double page turns at all.
But then even on the previous update I very rarely had that.

I think a lot of the problems are to do with using both the Kobo desktop software and Calibre (not at the same time tho, that would be VERY bad). I mean switching between the 2 programs.
When I did that, I had all sorts of problems and frequent resets etc.. I haven't used the Kobo desktop for several updates now and have virtually had 100% error free times.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote