Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-23-2009, 09:07 PM   #1
Stinkfist
Stinkfist began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600b
windows 7 does not recognize prs 600

the title pretty much says it all.

No matter what I do I cannot get win 7 64 bit to recognize my 600.
I cant update, cant access it, nada. It is an unrecognizable usb device.
I made sure I have the correct cable, have latest firmware update, tried to reset the device, reformatted. nothing will get it to recognize.
Any suggestions?
Stinkfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:55 PM   #2
Bitgod
Enthusiast
Bitgod began at the beginning.

Device: iPad / PRS-600 / iPhone 3G
Do you know if it works with another system? You didn't mention, did you try uninstalling and then reinstalling the latest version of the eBook Library, could be a driver issue.
Bitgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2009, 11:39 PM   #3
Stinkfist

it works on my old system which is running 64 bit vista. I can still plug it in there and it works fine.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled the the ebook reader software. I am assuming that the drivers come along with that. At sony's site there is only an option to download that or the firmware update for the reader.
I have updated it on the old comp and still no go here.

When I plug it in I get an "unrecognized usb device" message.
I cant browse to the device, nothing. Of course Sony's site is woefully lacking in support.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:37 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do you have a different mini USB cable that you could try? It may well be that the cable isn't seating itself fully in the socket.

There's certainly no inherent issue with Windows 7 - it's working fine on my 64-bit Windows 7 Dell laptop.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:51 AM   #5
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
I have read a few other complaints on the internet about sony ereaders not working with windows 7 which is putting me off installing windows 7 as yet on my laptop BUT I've also read reports where it has worked?!?

Perhaps you might find some answers at http://windows7forums.com or by calling sony support.

Hope you get it sorted
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2009, 04:18 AM   #6
83plus
83plus began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
hi buddy,
it works well on my 32bit windows 7,
83plus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:48 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Then I repeat my suggestion to try a different cable. You have, presumably, tried other USB ports on the machine? Not all ports are connected up the same way, and it's common for one port to fail, but another to work.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:11 AM   #8
jlbfoot
idiot
jlbfoot began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, 300, and 650
Try running the Sony ebook reader software in XP or Vista compatible mode. Just right click the shortcut, choose the properties tab, then the compatibility tab and the drop down menu. I didn't need to do that with Windows 7 64 bit, but it's worth a shot.
jlbfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:33 AM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
What computer do you have? What speed USB? There have been issues with the Astak PP where the USB port had to be set back to 1.0 compatibility...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:40 AM   #10
FragFrog
Connoisseur
FragFrog began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Try to download the library software directly from the Sony site: they released a new version not too long ago that fixed problems with Windows 7, it might just be your reader still has the installer for the old software on it, hence it not working.
FragFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:46 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
Try to download the library software directly from the Sony site: they released a new version not too long ago that fixed problems with Windows 7, it might just be your reader still has the installer for the old software on it, hence it not working.
But that won't have any impact upon Windows reporting it as an "unknown device". It should be recognised as a USB mass storage device regardless of whether or not the Sony eBook Library software is installed.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:57 AM   #12
Stinkfist

I have tried different cables, but from everything I've read you need to use the cable provided as it has a slightly different pin setup or some such thing. Either way I have ruled that out.
Ive tried different usb ports. although only the 2 front ones, I will try a back one when I get home. I do know the 2 front usb ports work as I have tried a variety of different devices on them.

I am going to try to use xp/vista compatibility mode, Although I have 64 bit premium. I am not sure if that has compatibility mode. I thought that was only on win 7 pro version.
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the ebook reader software. It made no change but that somewhat expected as my comp is not recognizing it at all.

As for what kind of comp: i5 quad core 2.66ghz, 4 gb mem, MSI p55 GD-65 Motherboard and a Antec p183 case. (pretty sure that all the hardware that would have any effect)
If I can't get compatibility mode to work I may end up going to a sony store and see what they have to say.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:03 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkfist View Post
Ive tried different usb ports. although only the 2 front ones, I will try a back one when I get home. I do know the 2 front usb ports work as I have tried a variety of different devices on them.
That could very well be the problem. Sometimes the front ports go through an internal USB hub, whereas the rear ports are directly wired to the USB controller. Definitely worth a try.

Quote:
I am going to try to use xp/vista compatibility mode, Although I have 64 bit premium. I am not sure if that has compatibility mode. I thought that was only on win 7 pro version.
I don't think that'll make any difference - it mounts as a mass storage device, using exactly the same driver as, say, a USB memory stick does.

Quote:
If I can't get compatibility mode to work I may end up going to a sony store and see what they have to say.
Given that it works on a different computer, I imagine they'll simply say that it's an issue with your PC which, unfortunately, it does appear to be. The PRS-600 certainly works on 64-bit Windows 7; I'm using it on such a system myself.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:20 PM   #14
darylbrayman
Connoisseur
darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Mini, Glo, Aura and Aura H20
I've had issues with Vista, ELB works on one machine and not on another. The best and easiest solution I've found so far is to down grade the Sony ELB software to Ver 2.5. I don't seem to have lost any features (i"m still using ver 3 on my XP machines), the only pain is the "there is a newer version library blah blah blah" message that keeps coming up, I just ignore it. Until Sony fixes the software once and for all I'll just used the dummied down ELB software. I plan on upgrading to windows 7 this week.

Regards, Daryl
darylbrayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:39 PM   #15
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Call Sony Support, I had issues initially after doing the upgrade, they walked me through the whole way and didn't get off the phone until everything worked as it should. Windows 7 64 Bit here....

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61990

Main thing to know which was VERY important was to delete the Kinoma files that were in 2 locations.

Last edited by DougFNJ; 11-24-2009 at 04:42 PM.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote