Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 02-05-2008, 12:51 AM   #1
toria
toria began at the beginning.

Device: HP jonada
Hello

Hi everyone,
I am using an old Palm for ebook reading, Its ok for now.
I'm intresting in seeing what developments will be rolled out this year for readers.
I'm intrested to see what Ink does with its screens and how their delays affect the new Kindle. Is anyone else concerned that Amazon (love there site and shipping) isn't saying how many have actualy been sold? Does Ink's delays have anything to do with Amazons unmentionalbes?
The Sony is ok, but the features on the Kindle make it seem more inviting. I just wonder how many are actualy make it into the publics hands all things considered.
toria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:28 AM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, toria!

I wouldn't read too much into Amazon's not saying how many they've sold -- nobody really talks numbers on these devices.

In fact, you've got me wondering if PVI (the folks who manufacture the e-ink displays) might not have their customers under some sort of non-disclosure clause that prohibits them from talking specific numbers. PVI has been so hush-hush on details, they may just not want the actual capacity of their factory to be common knowledge.

Just an idle wondering, that. Don't take it for more than it is.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Welcome to the Forum
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
toria
toria began at the beginning.

Device: HP jonada
kicking the tires, Sales #s at Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Welcome to MobileRead, toria!

I wouldn't read too much into Amazon's not saying how many they've sold -- nobody really talks numbers on these devices.

In fact, you've got me wondering if PVI (the folks who manufacture the e-ink displays) might not have their customers under some sort of non-disclosure clause that prohibits them from talking specific numbers. PVI has been so hush-hush on details, they may just not want the actual capacity of their factory to be common knowledge.

Just an idle wondering, that. Don't take it for more than it is.
I should have mentioned where I had read the artical its in Publishers Weekly.
the artical was wondering about Amazons Kindle Sales numbers. It got me wondering as well. P.W. took the position that Amazon should be shouting their numbers from the roof-top since that is more typical. (according to Pub.weekly)
It was the artical's position that perhaps Amazon was having diffuculty with the kinlde since the Ink Screens might be diffucult to get from France.
Personly, I am just trying to decide if its the Kindle I should buy or if I should wait till later in the year when demand slows since it seems there will be new generations of readers on the market. Of corse that might re-raise the intrest in readers again!

Toria

Last edited by toria; 02-13-2008 at 12:32 PM. Reason: missing words
toria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:04 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by toria View Post
P.W. took the position that Amazon should be shouting their numbers from the roof-top since that is more typical. (according to Pub.weekly)
Meaning no disrespect to the deep thinkers over at Publisher's Weekly: typical of what, exactly?

Sure, it's typical of book sales, but the Kindle isn't a book. It's an electronic device, and a pretty new class of one at that.

Setting aside the Kindle, if you consider the the iLiad, the Sony Reader, the Cybook, and the other smaller players -- in other words, everyone else who has made an e-ink reading device -- exactly none of them (so far as I know) have commented on specific sales numbers of those devices.

I'd call Amazon's silence on the matter typical of those who are actually a valid comparison.

Quote:
It was the artical's position that perhaps Amazon was having diffuculty with the kinlde since the Ink Screens might be diffucult to get from France.
If they actually think that the displays come from France, then they're definitely not paying attention: PVI, the only company licensed to manufacture the things is located in Taiwan, and has no ties to France.

Quote:
Personly, I am just trying to decide if its the Kindle I should buy or if I should wait till later in the year when demand slows since it seems there will be new generations of readers on the market.
That is the classic electronics/computer dilemma. When do you buy, considering that you know a better/smaller/cheaper/whatever one will be out within a few months at the latest?

All I can offer on it is to point out that this will always be the case, so you can end up waiting forever if you're not careful.

In the case of e-ink, they just brought out Vizplex, and there were a couple of years between it and previous version of e-ink, so the quality of the displays aren't likely to improve for another couple of years (by my guess, salt to taste). The available sizes probably will, however.

I'd suggest that you look at the devices that are available (as you are already doing) and if you find one that you think fills your needs/wants, and the price works for you, then decide if you want to have the use of that device until you replace it, or just wait to get one at all until you would replace the one you're considering.

I'd think that if you don't think that the use of an e-ink reading device is worth having in the meantime, then you probably ought to wait. If you want to be able to use one now, enough that you're willing to replace it in a few years, go for it.

I have the PRS500. It's the older model, but it didn't stop functioning when the 505 came out. You can certainly keep using a device after a newer model comes out -- if there's no compelling reason to upgrade, then I usually just wait until such a reason comes along.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2009, 09:47 PM   #6
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
Hi - new member

Hello everyone,

I just joined so I thought I would introduce myself. I also post on the Amazon Kindle Boards and on LibraryThing.com. I have been a Kindle owner since January, 2008! I am always looking for new and interesting books to read. k4k
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:51 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Welcome to the forum! What do you like to read?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy4katz View Post
Hello everyone,

I just joined so I thought I would introduce myself. I also post on the Amazon Kindle Boards and on LibraryThing.com. I have been a Kindle owner since January, 2008! I am always looking for new and interesting books to read. k4k
Hello Krazy4katz and toria, andwelcome to MobileRead.

Hopefully you'll find some new friends here, and I know you'll find lots of info for your Kindle and other interesting forums.

Be sure and check out the free books available here for downloads, haunt the forums, and feel free to jump in any time the mood suits you.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote