Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-18-2015, 10:44 AM   #391
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I can't access the download page.

Can someone please post a copy of the update to Dropbox?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:14 PM   #392
KnuX
KnuX writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KnuX writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KnuX writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KnuX writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KnuX writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KnuX writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KnuX writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KnuX writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KnuX writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KnuX writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KnuX writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Onyx Boox i86
Quote:
Originally Posted by johh View Post
I just received i86 . If someone need root - towelroot v1 is working OK on this device ( tested on v1.7.2 and 1.7.3 ).
Towelroot did not work for me on 1.7.2 (haven't upgraded to 1.7.3 yet). Neither the v3 version on the official site nor the old v1 version (link1 link2 for safekeeping ).

I did, however get it to work with the cydia impactor. It errored out the first time, but I restarted the reader and the second (or was it third?) time it finished ok, and then I just went on play and installed SuperSU.

Glad to finally have root so I can install AdAway and titanium backup.

P.s.: On the topic of titanium backup, it is kind-of hard to use in the i86, as some of the labels are invisible, you will need an android phone as a guide.

Last edited by KnuX; 08-18-2015 at 06:54 PM.
KnuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:54 PM   #393
KnuX
KnuX writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KnuX writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KnuX writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KnuX writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KnuX writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KnuX writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KnuX writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KnuX writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KnuX writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KnuX writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KnuX writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinogodzilla View Post
Great review and some valid points there, thanks. You really looked closely

I added a 'bugtracker' page to the wiki. You can describe your findings there so that they don't get buried amongst thousands of posts on this forum. You could just mention them briefly and backlink to your forum post to avoid duplication of effort.

There is also a wiki page for i86 that some other kind soul added where normally all useful info gets collated for the very same reason (see M96 wiki for some examples).
Sorry for the very late answer. I just installed 1.7.3, will re-test and add any remaining issues to the tracker
Old 08-18-2015, 09:34 PM   #394
DarkCookie
Developer
DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Firmware update from "Settings"->"About"->"System Update" will remove all data and apps? What will remain?
DarkCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:43 AM   #395
kreti
Connoisseur
kreti doesn't litterkreti doesn't litter

Device: energy system 1060 / Avant XL / Onyx Boox M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCookie View Post
Firmware update from "Settings"->"About"->"System Update" will remove all data and apps? What will remain?
Firmware update remove and update the system partition. Your apps and data will remain, although it is possible that you must reinstall some of the apps. The books, or another data you copy in flash drive remain there.
kreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:13 AM   #396
KnuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreti View Post
Firmware update remove and update the system partition. Your apps and data will remain, although it is possible that you must reinstall some of the apps. The books, or another data you copy in flash drive remain there.
I'd recommend a backup, in any way. Going from the original firmware to 1.7.2, after the upgrade google play services kept crashing, making the device unusable until I did a factory reset, and the same thing happened with 1.7.2 to 1.7.3. Luckyly this time I had titanium backup so I could get back up and running fast.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:44 AM   #397
KnuX

I just posted my bug reports to https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Boox_i86_wishlist , where they can have a better home to be ignored by Onyx :|
Old 08-22-2015, 08:32 AM   #398
DarkCookie
Developer
DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can try newer 1.7.3_0949b01 from onyx forum.
On 1.7.3rc1 I don't have "Holding down left button no longer triggers a screen redraw" bug and don't notice about "Screen backlight turns back on after 5-10 minutes whenever device is left on standby with wifi left on".
To resolve skype problem you can try "Mono bluetooth router" from app store.

Last edited by DarkCookie; 08-22-2015 at 08:37 AM.
DarkCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:42 AM   #399
chompop
chompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolate

Device: KK,PWM,PW4,KO2,i86,n96ml,Forma
On 1.7.3 holding down left(back) button bring up menu. holding down right(forward) button refresh the screen. It is not in the change log though. I found that out accidentally.

Battery percentage is also gone from the notification panel.
chompop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 03:51 PM   #400
Rivak
Rivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Onyx i86 HDML Plus
Perhaps I am overlooking something... but is it possible to display a book I was reading with Moonreader in the standard widget on the main page ?

Last edited by Rivak; 08-22-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Rivak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:51 AM   #401
KnuX

Quote:
You can try newer 1.7.3_0949b01 from onyx forum.
On 1.7.3rc1 I [...] don't notice about "Screen backlight turns back on after 5-10 minutes whenever device is left on standby with wifi left on".
It's strange that you don't have the screen backlight problem on 1.7.3rc1, I've had it with 1.7.1, 1.7.2, and now 1.7.3. And I've had to do a reset after every upgrade due to play services blowing up so It's not even a leftover configuration.

That's why I'm not really thrilled about testing random versions from Onyx's forum, a clean wipe every time, even with titanium backup, takes time.

Quote:
Did not know about the app, thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't really solve the skype issue, as I still can't use the microphone from the bluetooth headset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chompop View Post
On 1.7.3 holding down left(back) button bring up menu. holding down right(forward) button refresh the screen. It is not in the change log though. I found that out accidentally.
You are right! Thanks, I'll go update the bug report. But yeah I wish Onyx had a decent changelog for these arbitrary things... Or even have this configurable. If I had a settings panel that previously said "Refresh: left" and now it changed to "Refresh: right" this would be pretty straightforward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivak View Post
Perhaps I am overlooking something... but is it possible to display a book I was reading with Moonreader in the standard widget on the main page ?
The way I workaround this so that I get the books I'm reading in the "now reading" is by opening the book once with onyx's app, but still setting the open with to moon reader. This way you get the books, but obviously the stats will always list you as being on the first page.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:22 AM   #402
Rivak
Rivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Onyx i86 HDML Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnuX View Post
The way I workaround this so that I get the books I'm reading in the "now reading" is by opening the book once with onyx's app, but still setting the open with to moon reader. This way you get the books, but obviously the stats will always list you as being on the first page.
Thanks for the workaround... but it would be nice if Onyx made the "now reading" widget open and full functional for other/external readers.
Rivak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:58 AM   #403
bobodude
Connoisseur
bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BooX M96
Hi does the i86 from e-reader store have a 85 Hz screen ? (like the M96)

And does anyone know if you have to pay the 20% german VAT, if your are shipping outside of europe ?

Last edited by bobodude; 08-23-2015 at 06:07 AM.
bobodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:13 AM   #404
chompop
chompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolate

Device: KK,PWM,PW4,KO2,i86,n96ml,Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobodude View Post
Hi does the i86 from e-reader store have a 85 Hz screen ? (like the M96)

And does anyone know if you have to pay the 20% german VAT, if your are shipping outside of europe ?
Since they do not advertise it as a 85Hz screen so I really doubt it.

I live outside EU and I did not have to pay any VAT.
chompop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:09 AM   #405
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
So, September has finally arrived, it's time to think about that i86. But I also like the M96, because that one has a stylus. But no backlight, which is why I like the i86... And I already have the T68 but the backlight of that one is simply too bright at lowest settings.

So, now I've no idea anymore which one to buy from the bonus I'll get at the end of this month!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote