Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
yehudin
yehudin began at the beginning.

Device: None
Best device for note-taking

Dear users

I am looking for an appropriate note-taking device which could allow me to take handwritten notes in lectures, seminars, meetings and while reading books and articles in libraries.

It is imperative that the notes may be organized in folders and then transferred to my Mac.

It would also be very important for me that the device would allow me to read PDF and Word files.

Currently, the most appropriate device is the Asus EEE note but it doesn't sell in my country (Portugal) (http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Note/Eee_Note_EA800/). Can anyone recommend me a satisfactory device?

Thank you.
yehudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
An iPad? I believe that there are apps that let you do handwriting. I'm not sure how the data is stored, however. If it is important to you that the data be converted to text, make sure that any apps support that before buying them.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Actually, for this I'd suggest a Windows Tablet. The handwriting recognition is built in, and they work extremely well for this. You'll likely want one with a 10" or larger screen for those PDFs.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
yehudin

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
An iPad? I believe that there are apps that let you do handwriting. I'm not sure how the data is stored, however. If it is important to you that the data be converted to text, make sure that any apps support that before buying them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Actually, for this I'd suggest a Windows Tablet. The handwriting recognition is built in, and they work extremely well for this. You'll likely want one with a 10" or larger screen for those PDFs.
Tablets are a bit out of my budget; this is why I'd like an ereader.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Any 6" reader is going to be poor for PDF. A reader that's a large enough size for PDF viewing is going to be as expensive as a tablet.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
Shirohane
Enthusiast
Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by yehudin View Post
Tablets are a bit out of my budget; this is why I'd like an ereader.
Not necessarily. If you have a bit of technical know-how you can get away with buying an older tablet PC second-hand for around 200$.

I recently did that and I would recommend Windows 7 on it, runs faster and the handwriting recognition is much better than Windows XP Tablet PC. Battery life on my PC has also improved. But then again, my license for Win 7 was free since I'm student subscribed to the MSDNAA programme. Otherwise, I would suggest you try to find a tablet that ships with Windows Vista or Windows 7. (The handwriting recognition is a lot better in those two versions.)
Shirohane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:57 AM   #7
tablettweet
Connoisseur
tablettweet began at the beginning.

Device: IPad 1&2,IPod Touch 4G, DXG, Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle Touch
How about a Samsung Galaxy Note ? I think it is one of the most accurate in the market at moment, I use an IPad and I have to say I don't think it's work. But if you are in a budget control I think perhaps you may want to check out Sony PRS-T1 ? It comes with a stylus and touchscreen with almost the same price of Kindle Touch (check out my signature to read more about a comparison between Sony PRS-T1 and Kindle.
tablettweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #8
yehudin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablettweet View Post
How about a Samsung Galaxy Note ? I think it is one of the most accurate in the market at moment, I use an IPad and I have to say I don't think it's work. But if you are in a budget control I think perhaps you may want to check out Sony PRS-T1 ? It comes with a stylus and touchscreen with almost the same price of Kindle Touch (check out my signature to read more about a comparison between Sony PRS-T1 and Kindle.
Thank you for your answer!

The Galaxy Note is good but it is quite small and expensive. For that price, I'd rather buy a tablet.

The Sony PRS-T1 is good but there is a problem with it: I don't think that it has a good "file structure" inside. I need a device that would allow me to create various notebooks and folders with several pages in them (e.g: classes, seminars, articles divided by subjects, etc). The Asus eee note is excellent for that but I don't know if Sony has the same capability.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
yehudin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirohane View Post
Not necessarily. If you have a bit of technical know-how you can get away with buying an older tablet PC second-hand for around 200$.

I recently did that and I would recommend Windows 7 on it, runs faster and the handwriting recognition is much better than Windows XP Tablet PC. Battery life on my PC has also improved. But then again, my license for Win 7 was free since I'm student subscribed to the MSDNAA programme. Otherwise, I would suggest you try to find a tablet that ships with Windows Vista or Windows 7. (The handwriting recognition is a lot better in those two versions.)
Which tablet PC would you recommend? Lenovo?
Old 04-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #10
Shirohane
Enthusiast
Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Which tablet PC would you recommend? Lenovo?
IBM/Lenovo is definitely a good brand, their tablet line is for businesses and tend to be quite durable. (The chassis is also usually made out of metal.) If you had a bit more money, you could go for Fujitsu. Otherwise, Toshiba and HP are also alright (most HP tablets are also for businesses).

For refurbished slates (think android tablet but runs Windows), Motion Computing and Fujitsu make them.

The one I have is an HP/Compaq TC4400. It's good but for the price I paid you could probably shop around and get yourself an IBM/Lenovo X60 or X61 instead. A bit more money will get you an X200 or an X201 which are more recent and more powerful. (Be careful though, there are regular IBM/Lenovo laptops with those model numbers also.)

The HP 2740p is refurbished is quite popular but a bit costlier than the TC4400. For the budget-conscious, the Toshiba M400/Toshiba M4 would do as well.

If you can, I'd recommend that you get an IBM/Lenovo tablet.

I would also recommend that you read up a bit on this forum: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/ for some very useful info if you are considering a Windows Tablet.
Shirohane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:57 AM   #11
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
If you go the Windows tablet route you might also consider the Kupa X11. It's not a well-known brand (yet), but I've had very good luck with it and battery life is stout. Handwriting is excellent.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:53 AM   #12
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Dear users

Currently, the most appropriate device is the Asus EEE note but it doesn't sell in my country (Portugal) (http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Note/Eee_Note_EA800/). Can anyone recommend me a satisfactory device?

Thank you.
I can't recommend it. The display is terrible, so reading is definetely no fun.
Notetaking is ok, many options ...
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:56 AM   #13
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtriever View Post
If you go the Windows tablet route you might also consider the Kupa X11. It's not a well-known brand (yet), but I've had very good luck with it and battery life is stout. Handwriting is excellent.

Ok,prices between EUR 699 and 999, for that price it should better be good .
By the way: The OP is a student from Portugal ...
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #14
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
You can pick up used IPad 1 and 2 for pretty good prices these days. I would assume that there is a similar market for used Galaxies.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote