Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-14-2011, 01:42 PM   #2116
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Hi NiLuJe,

I have the problem, that even with the reboot, the jailbreak remains. Have used Yifanles 0.51 on my 3.2.1 and the 0.4 on my 3.1. Both refuse getting updated to 3.3 with U007 error.
Any hints except the one from z0mtec?
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:11 PM   #2117
sydneyp
sydneyp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I have a Kindle Wifi only Version 3.3
I've installed the jb successfully (I think) but the ss file doesn't seem to work. Are there issues with 3.3 or am I just unlucky?
sydneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #2118
juco
Enthusiast
juco is on a distinguished road

Device: Palm m105, Kindle KB
I know that the Kindle 4 has not been hacked/jailbreaked yet. However, has anybody already managed to extract its original wallpaper images? They seem to be quite nice and I'd really like to use them one my trusty Kindle 3 aka Kindle KB.

Thanks,
Ralph
juco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:49 PM   #2119
b_jules
b_jules began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Issue above #2115 still real, please send me to the right message. Never worked in Python, do not know what to do. Please advise.
b_jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:19 PM   #2120
Kozzi
Enthusiast
Kozzi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Aura H2O
I can't seems to install the k3w 3.2.1 10N jailbreak Kindle 3.3. I received this 4 hours ago and did the 3.3 update. Installing jailbreak return U007 error but it still does create the linkjail folder. Just to make sure, I did the uninstalling and it went successfully, linkjail folder is still in the root though. Any idea ? Just want some custom screensavers ;/

PS. oh and the first time I didn't notice whether it went successfully or not, but I did a restart which showed me "ERROR: 3" and told me to press R to continue using Kindle. Second time returns U007, uninstall, reinstall => U007.

Last edited by Kozzi; 11-17-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Kozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:43 AM   #2121
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I am using the usbNetwork hack on multiple kindles. When I simultaneously mount two kindles, they both get the same MAC address with the last 4 octets all zeroes, which allows routing IP packets to only ONE of them (even with different IP addresses).

Is there a simple patch to the usbNetwork hack so I can give my kindles unique MAC addresses?
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:31 AM   #2122
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

*** UPDATE: There is a new fully-automated version here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=29

Okay, RTFM says that this can be controlled on the host side. Before assigning an IP address to the second kindle, I can use a script mntusb:
#!/bin/sh
#--- mntusb script
# U = usb number
# K = kindle number
U=$1
K=$2
sudo ifconfig usb$U down
sudo ifconfig usb$U hw ether ee:49:00:00:00:0$K
sudo ifconfig usb$U up
sudo ifconfig usb$U 10.10.$K.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
mkdir /mnt/kindle$K 2>/dev/null
sudo umount /mnt/kindle$K 2>/dev/null
sshfs /mnt/kindle$K root@10.10.$K.2:/
#---

Each kindle plugged in gets sequential USB numbers starting at 0. I modified the usbnet config so that each kindle has a different 'K' number, which is used in its usbnet config IP address.

The command:
./mntusb 1 5
mounts my 5th kindle on usb1.

This script lets me ssh (or telnet) to all mounted kindles simultaneously, and access their mounted file systems. It could use a little more automation, and be called by the usbnet config script.

It is a good idea to unmount the kindle file system before ejecting the kindle from usb:
sudo umount /mnt/kindle$K

RTFM works! ;-)

P.S. I suppose I should have tested this offline so I did not need to edit my post so many times... ;-(

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-20-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:12 AM   #2123
geekmaster

Here are the results from my ifconfig immediately after plugging my kindle #2 into USB, then plugging kindle #5 into USB:

usb0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr ee:49:00:00:00:00
inet6 addr: fe80::ec49:ff:fe00:0/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:21 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:5149 (5.1 KB)

usb1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr ee:49:00:00:00:00
inet6 addr: fe80::ec49:ff:fe00:0/64 Scope:Link
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:9 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:1885 (1.8 KB)

As you can see above, they both start out with identical HWaddr, which is not good.

Here are the results from my ifconfig after running:
./mntusb 0 2
./mntusb 1 5

usb0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr ee:49:00:00:00:02
inet addr:10.10.2.1 Bcast:10.10.2.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::ec49:ff:fe00:2/64 Scope:Link
RX packets:53 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:202 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:8150 (8.1 KB) TX bytes:37493 (37.4 KB)

usb1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr ee:49:00:00:00:05
inet addr:10.10.5.1 Bcast:10.10.5.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::ec49:ff:fe00:5/64 Scope:Link
RX packets:21 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:84 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:2701 (2.7 KB) TX bytes:17150 (17.1 KB)

And their file systems are mounted at /mnt/kindle2 and /mount/kindle5 too.

And of course /mnt is defined as a VirtualBox shared drive, so my 32-bit XP that I keep running inside my 64-bit Linux Mint can see the shares too. I can compare two kindles with WinMerge in my XP VM.

Enjoy! :-)

P.S. I got my kindle #5 free off eBay for shipping cost. The screen does not work due to "knife damage" to the screen flex circuit board when somebody opened it. I was able to active "Voice Guide" so it can be used (slowly) without a screen. I even installed jailbreak and usbnet using Voice Guide. Be careful during a kindle teardown -- that flex circuit board touches the case edge right where a knife would go when opening it...

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-18-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #2124
lingchi9
Banned
lingchi9 began at the beginning.

Device: none
it is useful for me, THX!
lingchi9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:28 PM   #2125
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
FYI - For those with a K3 jailbroke with a custom screensaver... you can now opt-in to the special offers, grab an offer, then opt-out and your custom screensaver is back!
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:26 PM   #2126
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@diba: Not much, no, you might want to get your hands dirty and check things out more carefully over SSH.

@juco: No idea, sorry .

@b_jules: Teaching you how to use the Windows terminal and/or a python shell is way beyond the scope of this post, sorry. (Besides, I don't really use Windows, so I can't be of much help).

@Kozzi: Don't restart your Kindle with a custom .bin, that's why you got an error 3 screen. The uninstall process doesn't remove the linkjail folder. And if you got a U007 error when *installing* the jailbreak, it usually means that your Kindle is already jailbroken, or another jailbreak is not completely uninstalled.

@geekmaster: Good to know, thanks . I might add a note about this in the readme if it doesn't slip my mind by then ^^.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:51 PM   #2127
Kozzi
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Kozzi: Don't restart your Kindle with a custom .bin, that's why you got an error 3 screen. The uninstall process doesn't remove the linkjail folder. And if you got a U007 error when *installing* the jailbreak, it usually means that your Kindle is already jailbroken, or another jailbreak is not completely uninstalled.
I also thought of the possibility that jailbreak got installed successfully so before the uninstalling I tried to install the screensaver hack, but it returned instantly "update failed" with no error code.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:59 PM   #2128
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by juco View Post
I know that the Kindle 4 has not been hacked/jailbreaked yet. However, has anybody already managed to extract its original wallpaper images? They seem to be quite nice and I'd really like to use them one my trusty Kindle 3 aka Kindle KB.

Thanks,
Ralph
@juco/Ralph: Unfortunately, the built-in "Screen-Shot" hotkey sequence is disabled while the screen saver images are visible on the display. If you do not mind "stepping outside the box", you can scan your kindle on a flatbed scanner (or use a digital camera) to get a copy of the screensavers, then adjust them (800x600 16-bit Grayscale) to use as custom K3 screensaver images. Of course, for anybody who would be offended by digital data proxied through the real world with all of its analog "noise", you should probably also avoid JPEG compressed images due to added quantization artifact noise...

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-18-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:00 PM   #2129
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Kozzi: It must have shown an error code, or you're doing something wrong on a lower level .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:22 AM   #2130
Kozzi
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Kozzi: It must have shown an error code, or you're doing something wrong on a lower level .
probably , just got this replacement for the other one which I successfully jailbroke and installed few hacks (ssh wifi/usb, readability, ss) but just for some reason just can't jailbreak this new one.

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet