Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-11-2011, 11:07 PM   #1
jissaLB
jissaLB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS950
Waterproof case for PRS950?

Does anyone know of a water proof or water resistant case that actually fits the 950? I have seen a couple that say they are made for the 900, but hadn't run across one for the 950 yet....
jissaLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:40 PM   #2
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
Ziploc? Sorry, I haven't come across any. Cases for the 950 seem to be scarce.

Edit:
The review for this one http://www.amazon.com/TrendyDigital-...wn_review_prod is for using it with a 950, though that's not what it's specifically designed for.

Last edited by natasha_fawn; 01-11-2011 at 11:46 PM.
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:17 AM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Welcome to MobileRead, jissaLB! Great find on that review, Natasha. That same case also comes sized for a Kindle 2. The 950 is in-between the Nook and Kindle 2. Here is a comparison of ereader sizes:

Kindle 2 -- 8.0 x 5.3 x 0.36
Sony 950 -- 7.9 x 5.0 x 0.38
Nook classic -- 7.7 x 4.9 x 0.50
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
I put my 950 with the cover open, inside a gallon-size Ziploc (I use freezer bags; they feel more sturdy). Be sure to squish out all the air so you can open and close the case without taking the reader out of the bag.

I've been using Ziploc for waterproofing my e-reader since my Kindle 1 days. Waterproof cases eventually get scratches, and that compromises reading clarity. With Ziploc, you get a fresh one every time.

Last edited by trekchick; 01-12-2011 at 10:59 AM.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
simulacrum
Connoisseur
simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.

Device: PRS-950
On the trendydigital website (www.trendydigital.com) they list one for the PRS-900 too. They also have one for the kindle 2 which is quite close to the 950 in size.
simulacrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:16 AM   #6
jissaLB
jissaLB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS950
Anyone tried the ziplioc around the pool or tub? does it work? (If so, seems like a big savings over the trendy)
jissaLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:42 AM   #7
jashsu
Connoisseur
jashsu doesn't litterjashsu doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jissaLB View Post
Anyone tried the ziplioc around the pool or tub? does it work? (If so, seems like a big savings over the trendy)
I used a ziploc on my 600. Great for reading while eating or in any other potentially messy environment. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the PRS-X50's touch sensors (IR array), using plastic baggie or anything similar will interfere with the touch capability. Even if you prefer to page turn using the buttons, it would still be quite a hassle to navigate the completely touch-based menu. Also you would be unable to get dictionary definitions while reading.
jashsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:46 AM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
This thread might be helpful. It is a recent discussion about using ziploc bags with the Kindle. It also includes discussion about the TrendyDigital bag.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ghlight=ziploc
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #9
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jissaLB View Post
I've logged lots of reading while floating on a raft in the pool (and twice in the lake*) with my Kindle or Sony in a Ziploc. I've used it in the hot tub and at the beach, too. My family are boaters and beach lovers, and I have several waterproof pouches and dry bags for gear and other devices, but I prefer Ziplocs for my e-reader, because the surface is fresh every time I use it. Regular waterproof pouches get small scuffs and scratches (especially after use around sand) and those can interfere with screen clarity in an absurdly short period of time.

*for lake reading, I put a couple of key floats inside the bag in case I lost my grip.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
case, prs 950, waterproof case