Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-26-2010, 12:50 PM   #1
dhume01
Connoisseur
dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Chromebook Pro, Note 10 Lite
Philosophy eBooks

Hi all, just wanted to announce my new ebook site: Philsophy eBooks! Since ePub ebooks are still in an early stage of adoption, it can be hard finding many Philosophical Works in the format. I thought it would be really great to have one location where lovers of wisdom can easily acquire public domain philosophical works.
I've found that many websites just copy over works from Project Gutenberg, but don't create many of their own. There are many works that don't have corresponding ebooks of their own; I aim to fix that. Over time I will be generating new ebooks of works previously unavailable. It's a work in progress, but check it out:
http://sites.google.com/site/philosophyebooks/
dhume01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #2
dhume01
Connoisseur
dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I should add that right now there are only built pages for:

Boethius
Giordano Bruno
Leibniz
Henri Bergson
John Stuart Mill
Plato
Xenophon
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
marcdh
Banned
marcdh can extract oil from cheesemarcdh can extract oil from cheesemarcdh can extract oil from cheesemarcdh can extract oil from cheesemarcdh can extract oil from cheesemarcdh can extract oil from cheesemarcdh can extract oil from cheesemarcdh can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhume01 View Post
Hi all, just wanted to announce my new ebook site: Philsophy eBooks! Since ePub ebooks are still in an early stage of adoption, it can be hard finding many Philosophical Works in the format. I thought it would be really great to have one location where lovers of wisdom can easily acquire public domain philosophical works.
I've found that many websites just copy over works from Project Gutenberg, but don't create many of their own. There are many works that don't have corresponding ebooks of their own; I aim to fix that. Over time I will be generating new ebooks of works previously unavailable. It's a work in progress, but check it out:
http://sites.google.com/site/philosophyebooks/
Very nice! Wish you all the best with it - and we'll see what we can do to help. There is a lot of public domain material - e.g. Schopenhauer's World as Will and Idea - available at the Internet Archive (as scanned bookpages in pdf).

Marc
marcdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:48 PM   #4
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Good luck with the site - it looks interesting. A couple of questions which I hope you will not take as criticism: will you only feature dead philosophers? I'm curious about your decision to index them by first name rather than the more usual surname - what's your thinking behind this?

Best wishes with the project.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:43 PM   #5
dhume01
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Good luck with the site - it looks interesting. A couple of questions which I hope you will not take as criticism: will you only feature dead philosophers? I'm curious about your decision to index them by first name rather than the more usual surname - what's your thinking behind this?

Best wishes with the project.
I try only to feature works by/about philosophers in the U.S. public domain -- which generally means dead.

I decided to host my site on google because it is easy to use, and will probably be around for a long time. For the listing on the left hand side of the page, it's taking that information from the titles of the particular page, and google automatically sorts it alphabetically. perhaps as things go along I may add a table of contents that is alphabetically sorted on the first page.
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 02:47 PM   #6
dhume01
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcdh View Post
Very nice! Wish you all the best with it - and we'll see what we can do to help. There is a lot of public domain material - e.g. Schopenhauer's World as Will and Idea - available at the Internet Archive (as scanned bookpages in pdf).

Marc
Thanks, I find it is easier to work with the scanned epubs from google -- though they have errors, they tend to be in better shape than other organization's scans (like with the internet archive's scans might have to find all the page numbers within the text and delete them )
Old 07-26-2010, 06:17 PM   #7
marcdh
Banned
marcdh can extract oil from cheesemarcdh can extract oil from cheesemarcdh can extract oil from cheesemarcdh can extract oil from cheesemarcdh can extract oil from cheesemarcdh can extract oil from cheesemarcdh can extract oil from cheesemarcdh can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
You're welcome - I'll pm with more information.

Marc
marcdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:25 AM   #8
mukoan
Lord Of All That's Beige
mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thankyou dhume... bookmarked and monitored.... cheers.
mukoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:18 PM   #9
dhume01
Connoisseur

I've added an 'Updates' page, which also functions as an RSS feed that you can subscribe to, to be alerted when new books are available.