Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-24-2008, 10:48 AM   #76
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
I'm not sure why many americans think that's the only place where 24-hour time is used
I think it's most likely because most folks (I don't imagine this to be solely an "American" trait) don't really think outside the boxes of their experiences and lives. Unless something intrudes into their box, they don't really think about it.

I've been trying to teach myself to think in 24 hour time for several months now (in preparation for a trip overseas), and it's pretty rough going after 37 years of thinking in 12 hour time.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:51 AM   #77
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
Harry, At least in the U.S. if you say 14:00 to someone that hasnt been in or around the military they just look at you funny. Or you can see them trying to do the math in their head. Because normally it is just 2 in the morning or 2 in the afternoon.
I used to work for a mostly civilian agency in the US Department of Defense, and even there it'd be "The meeting is at 1400" in e-mail but "When's the meeting?" "Oh, two o'clock." in conversation.

-Marshall
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2008, 10:55 AM   #78
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
So now I have a choice to make before I take my Reader on vacation. To flash or not to flash? I would hate to lost the clock and my nice fonts while on vacation. Unless the flasher available to put in the hacks already works?
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:57 AM   #79
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Same in my country: all the writing and in formal speaking we use the 24 hour system, in coloquial, day to day conversation the 12 hour system (if we can call it that).
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:11 AM   #80
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
The problem goes beyond 12hr vs 24hr time. Americans can't even get our own time zones correct. Well, actually, West Coasters are more aware. When they want to schedule a meeting with me, they always either ask what zone I'm in or append "west coast time" to the hour. East Coasters do NOT. They set the meeting for 9:00 o'clock. I ask, my time, or yours? And then I get silence, or a "whaddya mean?".
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2008, 11:11 AM   #81
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
So now I have a choice to make before I take my Reader on vacation. To flash or not to flash? I would hate to lost the clock and my nice fonts while on vacation. Unless the flasher available to put in the hacks already works?
I'd say it depends on when your vacation is. I'd give igorsk a day or two to get the 505 flasher up to release status, you know, before accusing him of gross negligence and stuff.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:12 AM   #82
SurgE
Serial Bricker
SurgE doesn't litterSurgE doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KSO
well, from where i am(GMT+8), 24th jul is almost over lol.
SurgE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:14 AM   #83
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I'd say it depends on when your vacation is. I'd give igorsk a day or two to get the 505 flasher up to release status, you know, before accusing him of gross negligence and stuff.
Well, I leave tomorrow morning. So perhaps I should wait. On the other hand, I do have tons of PDF's that I could try out while on vacation.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:17 AM   #84
RWJ
Zealot
RWJ doesn't litterRWJ doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
OK, now I'm thinking the Sony is for me. The pdfs that I read are text only, so no diagrams to worry about. The big questions: (sorry, I'm a bit of a tech idiot) how can I tell if a pdf file I have is flowable? If I go to the Sony store near my house, which has a 505 in stock, how hard will it be for me to install this new firmware myself? I, too, am going on vacation tomorrow, and am torn between thinking I should be patient and buy it when it's preinstalled, and wanting it NOWNOWNOW and to play with it on my vacation.
RWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:17 AM   #85
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Maybe the new firmware will include the clock.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:17 AM   #86
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Well, I leave tomorrow morning. So perhaps I should wait. On the other hand, I do have tons of PDF's that I could try out while on vacation.
Your call, but I think I'd wait in that circumstance.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:22 AM   #87
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJ View Post
how can I tell if a pdf file I have is flowable?
My understanding is that the PDF file doesn't have to be officially reflowable, the new Reader firmware will reflow it regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJ View Post
... how hard will it be for me to install this new firmware myself?
The previous ones haven't been particularly hard, mostly a matter of installing the existing software (if you haven't already) and running the "check for updates" thing in the help menu, then following the instructions that come up. Remember they aimed the device itself at folks who aren't computer geniuses, so they're not going to ask for too much technosavvy on the updates.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:30 AM   #88
astrodad
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Your call, but I think I'd wait in that circumstance.
I agree. I might go ahead and put the new firmware on and do the hacks next week sometime, if they are ready.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:30 AM   #89
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

There is an unanswered question here: does the new software support Windows Vista x64? The current software is 32-bit only.

A smattering of consumer machines are shipping with x64 now.
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:31 AM   #90
NatCh
Gizmologist

I dunno, didn't think to ask.

I'd guess not, though, they've been pretty hostile to the idea before now. Not sure why, exactly.

Tags
adobe, digital editions, epub, firmware, pdf, prs500, reflow, update