Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #31
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneorotar View Post
The only vars I currently have are qlob's which came from a B006 Kindle.

Do you happen to have any Kindle 3G UK devices? It would really help if more valid 'B00A' idme vars are known.

Thank you.
Mine are all B006 and B008. No B00A.

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-26-2012 at 11:30 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #32
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
... I think the idme vars are somehow related to each other depending on the model (i.e 3G UK or 3G US) and I'm currently in need of some 3G UK vars so that I can make up some of them and test it on my B00A Kindle 3G. To be specific, I'm in need of the 'Manufacturer Code' and 'pcb config id' but complete vars are welcomed.

The only vars I currently have are qlob's which came from a B006 Kindle.

Do you happen to have any Kindle 3G UK devices? It would really help if more valid 'B00A' idme vars are known.

Thank you.
I think that the vars you need do not depend on being from a "UK Kindle".

Now that I was able to look them up on a B006, I think that the vars you requested should probably be safe for me to share, and safe for you to use:
Code:
Product:           Shasta
FSN:               B006*
MAC Address:       28EF*
Manufacturer Code: U9TCYI2TA6L0OJ41E325 
PCB ID:	           A004049B88SHR
The idme var terminology is a bit inconsistent. I think that the "PCB ID" reported in the diagnostic logs (where I got these values) is called "pcbsn" in u-boot and idme. The pcbsn idme var is used by some kindles to determine how to initialize DRAM during startup, so may be critical to booting some kindle models.

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-26-2012 at 11:34 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2012, 06:50 AM   #33
kaneorotar
Enthusiast
kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: K3, KW3, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I think that the vars you need do not depend on being from a "UK Kindle".

Now that I was able to look them up on a B006, I think that the vars you requested should probably be safe for me to share, and safe for you to use:
Code:
Product:           Shasta
FSN:               B006*
MAC Address:       28EF*
Manufacturer Code: U9TCYI2TA6L0OJ41E325 
PCB ID:	           A004049B88SHR
The idme var terminology is a bit inconsistent. I think that the "PCB ID" reported in the diagnostic logs (where I got these values) is called "pcbsn" in u-boot and idme. The pcbsn idme var is used by some kindles to determine how to initialize DRAM during startup, so may be critical to booting some kindle models.
Thanks for the vars. I did some test on some of the vars with some random string and found that the 'Manufacturer Code' could be anything of that length.
So here is what I did:
1. Recover with the backup (My friend's idme vars)
Code:
serial number = B006XXXXXXXXXXXX
board id = SP1B000000000000
pcb serial number = A00XXXXXXXSHR
accelerometer offset string = 
MAC address  = 28EF01014XXX
pcb config id = 
Manufacturer Code = 4I0O8AN1UVBV9XXXXXXX
Wi-Fi works without problem, unable to register.

2. Change some of the vars (pcbsn & mfg)
Code:
serial number = B006XXXXXXXXXXXX 
pcb serial number = D01XXXXXXXSHR (My Kindle pcbsn)
MAC address  = 28EF01014XXX 
Manufacturer Code = RANDOMSTRINGXXXXXXXX (Random string)
Wi-Fi is still working.

3. Change the S/N and Wi-Fi MAC
Code:
serial number = B00AXXXXXXXXXXXX (My Kindle S/N)
pcb serial number = D01XXXXXXXSHR
MAC address  = 28EF01F39XXX (My Kindle MAC Address)
Manufacturer Code = RANDOMSTRINGXXXXXXXX
This time the Wi-Fi MAC appears to be 'Unavailable'. The registration seems to work remotely (sent info to Amazon and registered) but makes no local change.

Therefore I'm assuming that these 3 vars are correlated:
S/N, Wi-Fi MAC and pcb config id.

The only one that I'm not sure about is the pcb config id. Observed my friend's B006 vars, the pcb config id appears to have been filled with hex data 'FF' which is displayed as '' as shown above. So It would really help if a valid 'pcb config id' from a 'B00A' Kindle is available.
kaneorotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #34
kaneorotar
Enthusiast
kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.

I accidentally found the script /etc/init.d/wifi which is related to flashing the MAC address to the EEPROM of the Wi-Fi board. After examining it and /opt/ar6k/host/support/loadAR6000.sh for a few times, I came up with the following code that's able to change the MAC Wi-Fi address.
Code:
#!/bin/sh

export IMAGEPATH=/sbin
export WORKAREA=/opt/ar6k
export ATH_PLATFORM=SHASTA_NATIVEMMC-SDIO
export TARGET_TYPE=AR6002
export AR6002_REV=2
export TARGET=AR6002
export EEPROM=/opt/ar6k/target/AR6002/hw2.0/bin/lab126_15dBm_nodiv_WWR_CTL.bin

#Changing the Wi-Fi MAC address
idme --mac 28EF01F3XXXX

args=$*
RAWMAC=`idme ? | awk '/MAC address/ { print $4 }`
MAC=`echo $RAWMAC | sed 's/\(..\)\(..\)\(..\)\(..\)\(..\)\(..\)/\1:\2:\3:\4:\5:\6/'`
echo $MAC
#Flashing to the EEPROM
/opt/ar6k/host/support/loadAR6000.sh -i wlan0 --setmac $MAC  $args
I've managed to change the MAC to my original one and it works well with the B006 S/N. But as soon as the S/N is also changed to mine, the Wi-Fi MAC goes back to 'Unavailable' again.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #35
kaneorotar
Enthusiast

Just got the problem solved. Hope it's going to be helpful.
Advert
Old 11-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #36
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Just got the problem solved. Hope it's going to be helpful.
It might be, if you shared the solution with us.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #37
kaneorotar
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It might be, if you shared the solution with us.
Oops, I forgot to mention that I've updated the first post with information about the solution.
By the way, should the title of the first post be updated?

Last edited by kaneorotar; 11-09-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #38
veroiatno
veroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle 3
Hello, I'm here just to give some feedback.
Similar thing happened to me - 'Wi-Fi MAC Address: Unavailable' after debricking with Kubrick(I'm not saying that its Kubrick fault)

The different thing was 'idme' showed all the S/N, MAC Address and other numbers using 'putty'. Everything was fine except that in Settings - MAC Address was unavailable and also 711 code showed that there is no wifi in this divece. The problem was that I forgot to backup all this root files and folders.Couldn't restore the original file. I had no chance except to try this:

Quote:
3. 'wifid.conf' seems to be a dynamically generated file and it is possible to solve the WiFi problem by simply deleting it. (Not tested, and prefer not to test)
I deleted wifid.conf, after the restart everything was perfect and back to normal. So thank you, this was helpful for me it might be for somebody else (before deletion I made a copy of wifid.conf anyway just in case)

Last edited by veroiatno; 08-21-2013 at 08:46 AM. Reason: ok
veroiatno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #39
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
@ixtab: Maybe we should just delete wifid.conf from the Kubrick images?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:18 PM   #40
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
@ixtab: Maybe we should just delete wifid.conf from the Kubrick images?
Hmm. That seems to be a Kindle 3 issue. First off, I don't know where that file really is, and second, I'm afraid of the K3 because of its "partition" layout which I don't understand. And third, Kubrick can't do anything at the filesystem level with a K3 because of (see "second").

In other words: The K3 is a black box for Kubrick, so all it can do is use k3flasher to write blobs to a few parts of the MMC, but without actually knowing or understanding what those blobs mean. For the K4/K5, Kubrick can "interact" with the filesystem, because the device allows it to. For the K3... it can't
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:36 PM   #41
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Oops

Aaah, ok, I think I understood now.

There is indeed a wifid.conf included in the K3 image.
It looks like this:

Code:
ixtab@mbp:~$ mount
# (irrelevant lines left out)
/home/ixtab/kubrick/devices.old/k3/main_partition.sfs on /mnt type squashfs (ro)
/mnt/main_partition on /tmp/k3 type ext3 (ro)
ixtab@mbp:~$ cat /tmp/k3/opt/var/local/system/wifid.conf 
##  $DATE
#
# wifid persistent settings
#
WirelessOff=no
ConnectUnsecuredNoPrompt=no
RememberRecent=yes
So you're proposing to remove that file from the K3 image? No objections from my side...
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote