Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
Oscar_NL
Oscar_NL began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Dictionary

Hi Everybody,

I am thinking of buying a Kobo Glo, and I am using a Sony PRS-T1 at the moment.

With the Sony, it is possible to manually type words in the dictionary when it can't find the word after a long press. It is also possible to lookup other words when you are in the dictionary by long pressing them. Is this also possible with the Kobo Glo? Is it also possible to lookup words in wikipedia?

Thanks,
Oscar

Last edited by Oscar_NL; 11-19-2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: forgot word
Oscar_NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Yes you can look up other words with no trouble. But you can't use an external source such as wikipedea
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Wikipedia though nice as a concept is not the most accurate source of knowledge out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes you can look up other words with no trouble. But you can't use an external source such as wikipedea
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #4
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
To use Wikipedia you would have to use the the web browser on the device (which requires exiting the book)
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:35 PM   #5
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
How easy it is to lookup words on internet with Google or Wikipedia is quick and easy using T1. Using Kobo Touch or Glow it is possible only using long slow multi step precess process of opening browser, slowly type the web address for Google or Wikipedia, then enter word for search on wikipedia or google. No easy short cuts to this process yet.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2012, 10:53 PM   #6
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
The Sony has excellent English dictionaries. The Kobo doesn't.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:34 AM   #7
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
The Sony has excellent English dictionaries. The Kobo doesn't.
Agreed.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:41 AM   #8
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar_NL View Post
With the Sony, it is possible to manually type words in the dictionary when it can't find the word after a long press.
At least with the current firmware version this is possible only with some dictionaries. It is not possible for instance with French-French and Japanese-Japanese dictionaries.

Edit: I just made a Japanese-English dicitionary for testing purposes. I declared it as German-German dicitionary and now one can also type words into the dictionary search field. So this is a workaround until the bug is fixed

Last edited by tshering; 11-20-2012 at 08:22 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:56 AM   #9
Oscar_NL
Oscar_NL began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Thanks everybody for your replies. After playing with it in a store (hadn't seen it in real life before) I decided to buy the Glo =)
Oscar_NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #10
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
At least with the current firmware version this is possible only with some dictionaries. It is not possible for instance with French-French and Japanese-Japanese dictionaries.
I thought I was crazy but you can't indeed search the French dictionary when you look up a word from within a book ? Maybe I misunderstood and overlooked something, but if not it's so annoying, on top of that the french Larousse dictionary is really bad, at least for this kind of use.
For example, if I come up at the word "vénalité" in a book, the dictionary will give me the following definition :
vénalité : caractère d'une personne vénale. (something like "characteristic of a venal person"). So of course I'd have to search for the word "vénale" but can't find the way of doing it.
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #11
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi View Post
So of course I'd have to search for the word "vénale" but can't find the way of doing it.
If you can do without the German dictionary, make a copy of the French dictionary (htmldict-fr.zip) and rename it to htmldict-de.zip (of course, you have first to rename the German dictionary to some other name, e.g. _htmldict-de.zip or delete it). As a result you have the same French dictionary twice on your reader. The one (htmldict-fr.zip) will pop-up automatically, the other (htmldict-de.zip) will appear if you select Definition: German!, and there you can search. Before you do this the German dictionary should be properly installed on the reader!
You can of course choose any other dictionary for replacement, but make first sure that it allows searching.
Just to make sure: The dictionary files are on {drive letter}:\.kobo\dict
Old 11-24-2012, 07:28 PM   #12
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi View Post
I thought I was crazy but you can't indeed search the French dictionary when you look up a word from within a book ? Maybe I misunderstood and overlooked something, but if not it's so annoying, on top of that the french Larousse dictionary is really bad, at least for this kind of use.
For example, if I come up at the word "vénalité" in a book, the dictionary will give me the following definition :
vénalité : caractère d'une personne vénale. (something like "characteristic of a venal person"). So of course I'd have to search for the word "vénale" but can't find the way of doing it.
The same annoying thing happens in the English dictionary.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #13
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
The same annoying thing happens in the English dictionary.
Really the exact same thing? As for the English dictionary, it should be possible to edit and look up the searched for expression in the dictionary box.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #14
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Really the exact same thing? As for the English dictionary, it should be possible to edit and look up the searched for expression in the dictionary box.
Maybe I misunderstood Papi's post. When a useless definition pops up (in the English dictionary), you can't then select a word in the definition and get a definition of that word.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #15
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Maybe I misunderstood Papi's post. When a useless definition pops up (in the English dictionary), you can't then select a word in the definition and get a definition of that word.
Right! Unfortunately, there are no working hyperlinks in any dictionaries and no way to select a word and jump to the appropriate dicionary entry. And this is indeed annoying. But you can open the definition or translation box and type any word you like in order to look it up. This is however not possible with the French-French dictionary. This is why Papi said
Quote:
I'd have to search for the word "vénale" but can't find the way of doing it.
This is evidently a bug in the FW. The only (practicable) work around for the moment I know is to rename the French-French dictionary into dicthtml-de.zip or similar. As soon as one does this one can search this dictionary, because the device "thinks" it is the German etc. dictionary.