Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-13-2011, 08:20 AM   #91
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
A picture(video) is worth a thousand words ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaach View Post
@ignacio ferrer

And while I was as it, I made a somewhat lengthy video showing a bit more about pdf handling on the devices. Sorry about being lazy with the (non-)editing of the videos.

The video is about:

- glyph thickness on the m92
- zooming on both devices
- select zoom area on m92
- column mode on 903
- failing to open a pdf
- success in loading a version of the pdf that was modified by 'briss'
- highlighting multiple areas
- scribbling in the pdfs
- screenshots on the 903
- integration of notes into table of contents on the 903
First: thx for the effort to produce these videos and for making objective choices possible.
With these videos you might put PB out of business - except for the column navigating in PDFs the M92 seems to be superior in many aspects: speed, display, navigation, annotation.
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:24 AM   #92
a.a.k
Enthusiast
a.a.k began at the beginning.

Device: boox M92
thanks again:
one of the advantages of PB is its support to Arabic languages which i use in my work, boox m92 claimed to be support Arabic, i have uploaded 3 epub ARABIC files which were converted from different files, i also put one PDF file.
if m92 supports arabic , it will be the only competitor to PB in the Arab market.

you help would be highly appreciated.
a.a.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2011, 08:31 AM   #93
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Surprise, surprise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
they did not develop it. Eink of course created the color display. Hanvon developed the device with input from Eink. Hanvon has been creating eink based readers with pen touch for 4 years. they have their own EMR pen and capacitive touch soulutions in house. Hanvon brands the device for Jetbook.

Underneath their firmware layer is Windows CE though and not linux if Im not mistaken. That makes it easier for them to have PDF annotations etc because the libraries are already built for windows when they are not freely available to linux developers
Thx for the background information.
So the good old windows does the trick ...
Given all your professional knowledge: I am about to buy a M92, but the JetColor got me thinking. Should I wait a little longer or take the plunge?
Old 12-13-2011, 10:05 AM   #94
jbaach
Connoisseur
jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: prs 505, pocketbook 903, onyx boox m92
@a.a.k, @measure

I created another video with the djvu and pdf files you posted. I hope that answers your questions. Its first the djvu files, and towards the end the arabic pdf file.

On the questions of touch and feel and the arabic epub - another video in the coming, maybe even shorter :-)
jbaach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #95
jbaach
Connoisseur
jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

@a.a.k, @measure

And here a video about arabic epubs and the touch and feel of the devices.

Important: around min 7 I finally figure out that one needs to use the fbreader (which is available on both devices) to read arabic epubs.

Not in the video: on m92 one can't annotate the arabic epubs, while the note functionality works normal on the 903 (that is: highlighting unreliable, sketching good, screenshots good).

Hope this helps.
Advert
Old 12-13-2011, 11:09 AM   #96
jbaach
Connoisseur

@PF4Mobile

Quote:
@PF4Mobile
From what I understand the pdfs themselfes are not touched..
Ok, I said something wrong here. Turns out that annotations (well, the scribbles in the pdf) can be merged into a _new_ pdf. This contains the all the 'handwritten' notes (which I find utterly useful).

http://youtu.be/wf62LzKCJ2Q

Please note: this does not work on epubs
Old 12-13-2011, 11:40 AM   #97
measure
measure began at the beginning.

Device: none
jbaach:

Your patience, thoroughness and prompt replies are outstanding. I only wish there were a way for the community to repay for your work (and well, Onyx really should be paying you!)

Aside from the djvu text search and potentially a contrast issue from the white bezel, the M92 seems like the better device to me. It certainly seemed to perform each task more quickly. Text search for djvu files seems like it could easily be added in a subsequent software update, and the contrast issue really might only be an issue if you are able to compare it to a device with a darker bezel; though, I do wonder if the perception of a lack of contrast might make one's eyes strain over a long period of time.

Anyway, I find it strange that the 903 so easily searched the djvu files, but had so much trouble searching the pdf. I think this maybe should be chalked up to the inefficiencies of the pdf format, after all djvu was essentially invented to create searchable scans of paper media. I don't think it's worth looking into, but it is a curious thing.

I'm fairly convinced; I'll likely be buying an M92 shortly.

Thanks,
Ryan
measure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:52 AM   #98
jbaach
Connoisseur

Pietro just asked how reading http://www.pnas.org/content/108/49/19569.full.pdf works.
The pdf works quite fine on both devices. m92 has a bit better contrast (903 still good readable though). For reading a longer two or three column text the 903 might be better, but then other people might be quite happy with using the stylus for panning around.

Video: http://youtu.be/PH0T2cFjJXc (less then 5 mins, hurray!)
Old 12-13-2011, 12:02 PM   #99
pietro
Enthusiast
pietro began at the beginning.

Device: prs-t1, kobo auraHD
thanks jbaach

Thanks this is really what I needed to see, it seems that reads very well in landscape mode!
pietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:12 PM   #100
jbaach
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by measure View Post
jbaach:

Your patience, thoroughness and prompt replies are outstanding. I only wish there were a way for the community to repay for your work
Thanks a lot. I'll text you once we take http://opencoin.org a bit further :-P

Just to make life a bit harder for you: there is the feature of multitasking on the 903, which the m92 is lacking.

Also, to clarify: I think that the m92 would look even better with a dark bezel, but the display itself has not less contrast then the one of the 903. Its just a question of overall perception (and illusion).

Last edited by jbaach; 12-13-2011 at 12:19 PM. Reason: clarifying the contrast issue
Old 12-13-2011, 12:48 PM   #101
ignacio ferrer
Banned

That is what I have been waiting for

Quote:
@PF4Mobile

Ok, I said something wrong here. Turns out that annotations (well, the scribbles in the pdf) can be merged into a _new_ pdf. This contains the all the 'handwritten' notes (which I find utterly useful).

http://youtu.be/wf62LzKCJ2Q

Please note: this does not work on epubs
That is what I have been waiting for - now things are getting interesting!
Seems serious work is now possible - I am still wondering what took them so long.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #102
ignacio ferrer
Banned

Illusions

Quote:

Also, to clarify: I think that the m92 would look even better with a dark bezel, but the display itself has not less contrast then the one of the 903. Its just a question of overall perception (and illusion).
I like this kind of illusions ...
Old 12-13-2011, 01:59 PM   #103
a.a.k
Enthusiast
a.a.k began at the beginning.

Device: boox M92
Dear jbaach,
thank you very much. I have sent your links to many people interest in Ereader reads Arabic.
the second time , both were working fine, and it may be an issue of coding in order to work with the default viewer.
I am not sure if i am right, I kind noticed the 903 is much clear for the Arabic text , although the M92 is supposed to be better with its Pearl display. i am really confused but maybe I should not judge from the video.
if you are able to buy both, and your mine use is for PDF, what you personally will pick?

one last question, what about the support of RRS?

thanks again .
a.a.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:37 PM   #104
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignacio ferrer View Post
Thx for the background information.
So the good old windows does the trick ...
Given all your professional knowledge: I am about to buy a M92, but the JetColor got me thinking. Should I wait a little longer or take the plunge?
When i last held the Jetbook in hand the firmware was not finished and the device was a bit ...sluggish. like it was still running a llot of extra developer code that needed stripped out

Recently when i was trying to get a sample they told me the firmware was still a bit buggy and not ready just yet. They have of course put it up for pre-order so one assumes they have fixed that. Some of the remaining issues may have been from stripping some things from the Russian school version of the firmware such as location check in and such.

The color will be quite expensive so it depends how much you might need/want the color.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:56 PM   #105
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
jbaach. i was just watching your arabic video. you showed using the volume rocker of the 903 to change the font size. The same should be available on the M92 using the 4way by pushing "up" or "down". the function should also rotate if you rotate the device so that "up" etc is now the landscape "up"

also in the "djvu files, arabic pdf, searching in pdfs, annotating," when showing the arabic pdf i believe the pdf itself has a shaded background , which is what you are seeing when you mention "a kind of darkish grey grid" in the display. The pocketbook is not displaying the image as a background but it can be seen for a moment in between the page changes as a sort of "horizon" image.

i took a screen shot as an example
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	horizon.png
Views:	360
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	79920  

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 12-13-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote