Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-14-2011, 08:45 PM   #91
stevesr0
Connoisseur
stevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
YouTube app doesn't have a listing in Account and Sync

I followed the op instructions for installing the gapps from the wiki HPDI file, but ended up with a YouTube that automatically loads and has no login mechanism that I can find. There is no entry in the "Account and Sync" setting for YouTube for me to add an account or sign in as there is with Gmail. (When I try to log in to Gmail, I get the cannot make a reliable data connection failure message.)

I am not sure if I did something wrong. If I want to retry, do I need to delete all the app files or is there a way to uninstall and then do a fresh install. I may NOT have installed Gmail last and I install each app with a restart before the next install.

I also notice that now a window pops up periodically asking me to choose between Launcher and SetupWizard to complete something. If I select SetupWizard, a window announces that it crashed and then I select Launcher and the action completes.

After initial failures at getting Gmail to work, I added the onetimeinitializer app. It didn't appear to do anything. I also tried to install the Network location app, but the install of that fails.

All install attempts have been using the default file manager.

Thanks for any comments/suggestions.

Steve
stevesr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:47 PM   #92
stevesr0
Connoisseur
stevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheese

An uh-duh comment

I tried Kenny's file to obtain gapps (from the wiki) and I couldn't find how to login to YouTube.

You don't find YouTube (or Gmail) in the Sync and Accounts list - only google. When I tried to login with my Gmail/YouTube username and password, it didn't work.

I finally uninstalled and deleted all the files and used the approach from emusan with Titanium Backup. That worked as far as gmail. However, I still couldn't login to YouTube.

Then, I thought of using the menu key while in YouTube. That is where you can enter login in.

So, if any other noobies don't know that, it might enable them to use the YouTube "bypass" successfully with Kenny's files.

Steve
stevesr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2011, 10:43 AM   #93
FluxAugur
FluxAugur began at the beginning.

Device: enTourage eDGe
I updated/installed the 1.01 firmware and am trying to downgrade back to 0.9. I know I need to use the golden update, but one it gets to the "installing software" screen, it only stays there about 3-4 seconds, then reboots and attempts to just boot up the Pocket eDGe, which gets to 4 dots, flashes the LCD side of the screen and never gets past that point.

After this is has also deleted the update.zip file from my USB. I've tried both the golden (1.13) and the 1.6 update.

Please help!

Last edited by FluxAugur; 09-30-2011 at 10:45 AM.
FluxAugur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:38 AM   #94
sonicware
sonicware began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluxAugur View Post
I updated/installed the 1.01 firmware and am trying to downgrade back to 0.9. I know I need to use the golden update, but one it gets to the "installing software" screen, it only stays there about 3-4 seconds, then reboots and attempts to just boot up the Pocket eDGe, which gets to 4 dots, flashes the LCD side of the screen and never gets past that point.

After this is has also deleted the update.zip file from my USB. I've tried both the golden (1.13) and the 1.6 update.

Please help!
I was having the same problem. Fixed by using the modified update file found in this thread (on the second post):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143035
sonicware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:46 PM   #95
FluxAugur

Awesome! Downgrade in progress. Thanks!

Also, can someone outline the benefits of the 1.01 or 1.01.001 or 1.02 firmware? The main reason for my downgrade is that when it tried connecting to my Google accounts it would always pop up some mobile device/carrier screen, then never actually connect, even though my wireless was working on YouTube and Browser, etc...

I plan on giving these as gifts, and would really like to have functioning Google accounts (and Market... but I've read that that can be complicated). The recipients aren't tech savvy, and the Amazon App Store kept telling me that every app I tried to install wasn't compatible. I don't really want to have to give them instructions for side-loading apps (even using Dropbox), or for hunting down apps they might want through *other* sites, because neither of those things will happen on their end, and it'll be up to me to do this whenever they come to visit.
Advert
Old 09-30-2011, 05:05 PM   #96
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
Also, can someone outline the benefits of the 1.01 or 1.01.001 or 1.02 firmware? (
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=141833
posts ## 262, 263
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #97
FluxAugur

Thanks ptsenter. So I have the 1.01 on one of the PEs now. From my understanding everything but Market will work, correct?

Also, when setting up Google Voice on here, it won't seem to get past the "Setting Up Voicemail" (obviously, because the PE isn't a phone). Pressing "Ok" just takes you back to the same screen, but pressing "Skip" locks up the GV app completely. Any suggestions here?
Old 10-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #98
sonicware
sonicware began at the beginning.

Quote:
Thanks ptsenter. So I have the 1.01 on one of the PEs now. From my understanding everything but Market will work, correct?

Also, when setting up Google Voice on here, it won't seem to get past the "Setting Up Voicemail" (obviously, because the PE isn't a phone). Pressing "Ok" just takes you back to the same screen, but pressing "Skip" locks up the GV app completely. Any suggestions here?
Simply download and re-install the Google Voice APK

http://www.freewarelovers.com/android/app/google-voice
sonicware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:42 PM   #99
FluxAugur

Worked like a charm! Thanks!
Old 10-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #100
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

Modified wpa_supplicant to allow adhoc connections

1. Go here to xda-developers forum
2. Download wpa_adhoc-signed.zip.
3. Unzip file and extract wpa_supplicant
4. On PE rename /bin/wpa_supplicant /bin/wpa_supplicant.old (or whatever)
5. Copy new version of wpa_supplicant to /bin directory onn PE
6. Change file permissions to 755 for /bin/wpa_supplicant
7. Reboot PE
8. Start sharing wifi from your phone or whatever adhoc network you use
9. See your network name in the list with an asterisk (*)!
10. Select and connect

Now I can connect to my phone's adhoc wifi without having to use ZT-Adhoc Switcher. The phone shows up in the normal wifi access point list. This makes it so much more convinient

BTW I'm rooted and running ermine 2.2. I most likely will not work on dingo.

All thanks to the original poster/patcher!!!

Accordingly here's what it should do:
Quote:
The patch below modifies the wpa_supplicant code in the external/wpa_supplicant AOSP repo to make ad-hoc networks appear as regular APs with a (*) prefix.

The patch:

* removes the [IBSS] flag from scan results,
* masquerades and demasquerades ad-hoc ssid with (*) prefix
* sets mode 1 (ad-hoc) if the ssid is for IBSS
* permits the supplicant to select an IBSS when associating to a given ssid
tekknogenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:15 PM   #101
AmericanDane
AmericanDane began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merddynemrys View Post
Having problems getting wallpaper (jpg) to show on reader screen. With first PE (with Android 1.6 loaded) I bought I seem to remember that I just loaded the jpg, and added the wallpaper from the main screen - it showed up on BOTH screens (tablet and reader) afterwards I upgraded to Android 2.2 beta. With my current acquisition I upgraded the system first to ANdroid 2.2 beta, THEN added the wallpaper - but it only shows up on the tablet screen. Is there some way to get it to show up on BOTH screens with Android 2.2 beta?
I don't know if it works in other applications, but if you use the Picasa app just click on any photo and then the menu allows you to make it a wallpaper for the Reader side or the Tablet side. Really easy.
AmericanDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:23 PM   #102
AmericanDane

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsibauste View Post
I have followed the steps above and I am restoring the files from my HTC EVO 4G phone to my PE. When I do a restore app+data I get an error :
Parse Error
There is a problem parsing the package.

On my phone, I have Android 2.3.3 HTC Sense ver 2.1

On Edge I have Android 2.2.1 Ermine 0.9

Gmail, YouTube work
Talk, Market do not work

I am also now getting on my Edge that there is an update available. I will post more when I try this at home. I ran out of time here at work.
I can't say it's true for all gingerbread versions, but I had gingerbread (2.3) on my device I used to get gapps working and it didn't work - although I saw it right away because only a couple would install. Then I re-rommed my other tablet with a Froyo version, got market and all the gapps working on it, then backed them up with Titanium - market fix, etc and viola! Works like a charm except for one little issue with shared libraries - com.google.android.maps.xml and .jar which have to be in place for some apps to install. But don't worry about that until you get the full market working. Also, don't forget to reboot.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:35 PM   #103
AmericanDane

TV.com and mint.com and others

2 apps I wanted on my PE were TV.com and Mint.com. (Yeah I know the mint app on a tablet is not that cool, but it is still better than using my iPod touch.)
I had market working great and all was going fine until I tried to install those 2 apps on my PE and several others (I think). What it would do was fail on install with "missing shared libraries".
If you go to http://nookdevs.com/Honeycomb_Google_Apps_and_Market
the last solution deals with this issue.
How I fixed mine:
From the tablet (it's a gTablet) with the "good" and fully functioning TV.com, etc.. I copied (emailed) those 2 files to myself. If you can't see them, try a different file mgr like Astro and use the "list" view.
Then from my pocket edge I simply downloaded those files from my emails and then I had to use root explorer to make the particular directories R/W and then I pasted the files to the proper spots.
Now, mint.com and TV.com work great and installed fine!

Before I found that fix I had looked around trying to get error log info without using ADB and couldn't find anything that worked. Seems to me I should be able to open a terminal and see the logs... Anyone know what is saved and where? (Sorry to be so ignorant, but I just got into Android)
Old 11-20-2011, 05:29 PM   #104
SweetLilSierra
SweetLilSierra began at the beginning.

I've recently updated my PE to Ermine and now my Bluetooth File Transfer App won't work properly. When I go to the app my Bluetooth begins to toggle itself on and off within seconds and I have to manually go and force the app to stop the Bluetooth from switching on and off....can you help me please?
SweetLilSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:18 PM   #105
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLilSierra View Post
I've recently updated my PE to Ermine and now my Bluetooth File Transfer App won't work properly. When I go to the app my Bluetooth begins to toggle itself on and off within seconds and I have to manually go and force the app to stop the Bluetooth from switching on and off....can you help me please?

Welcome. I don't use Bluetooth but, take a look at this thread and see if there is anything here that can help.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=149529
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote