Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-23-2011, 01:14 AM   #1
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Books like the TV Show Parenthood?

Just wondering about some novels that might be kind of like that show.

For whatever reason that show speaks to me...maybe its the fact that they are touching on subjects of a special needs son, like my own, or the conflicts within are so close to my own, not sure, but it's got to be my favorite show on TV and is the ONLY show that can turn me into a blubbering idiot, especially tonights episode.

So I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations from that!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
JohnnyRocks
Zealot
JohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-books

Device: PocketBook 360
I can't recommend anything but, I have to agree that it's an excellent show....It's a shame that it will very likely be cancelled after this season. It doesn't turn me into a blubbering idiot, but, it really does hit home on alot of the parenting issues, and, I'm a young father (32), of two young children (my daughter just turned 3 and my son is 6.5 months).
JohnnyRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh say it ain't so. Every show I seem to really enjoy gets cancelled.

Im in the same boat, 32, son is 3 with undiagnosed developmental delays.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Oh hell, I love that show too. It hits me from the good-but-slightly-rebellious teenager side (as that was not too long ago) and the parenting side (1 y/o daughter).

I haven't read this yet, but it comes with a 5-star review from one of my pickier friends. The protagonist is autistic.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...the_Night_time
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:25 PM   #5
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
I haven't read this yet, but it comes with a 5-star review from one of my pickier friends. The protagonist is autistic.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...the_Night_time
I have read the book and it's excellent. I'm not sure that it is similar to the TV show, though (I haven't seen it).
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #6
jhempel24
Wizard

A friend of mind just suggested this post after reading my wifes post on facebook. Ill have to look at it.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:22 AM   #7
jhempel24
Wizard

Turns out my online library DOES carry this in eBook form.....I'm only 2 on the waiting list....woo!!

Looks really really interesting and I can't wait to read it.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:39 PM   #8
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I loved the Curious Incident, it's really a great book. I also really liked Marcelo in the Real World which is YA about a young man with Aspergers who goes to work at his father's law firm over the summer. Neither of these are anything like Parenthood, though. (and I love Parenthood! Whenever I'm watching it, I wish my sisters were watching it too!). I can't think of a book like it. Tom Perrotta's Little Children (and probably his other books) deals with the experience of parenting but it's much more cynical.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
jhempel24
Wizard

Cool, I'll have to look at Marcelo as well.

Oh and I did a bit of searching, looks like Parenthood got another full order of 22 episodes!!