Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-06-2013, 07:13 AM   #106
RichieTheK
Enthusiast
RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 (2012), Samsung Galaxy Pro 8.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyJ View Post
Hopefully as more folks adopt W8, we will be able to see if the issue is limited to my setup, or more spread out across W8 users, especially x64 users.Monty
You're not alone with your problems. I, too, am running Windows 8 Pro x64 and have also seen calibre x64 crash frequently. (32-bit works fine.) All of the crashes are of the "calibre.exe has stopped working" variety, but I have not been able to discern a pattern. One crash was after closing the "Edit Metadata" child window, another after resizing a cover using the plug-in, and a third happened when I shut down calibre with Ctrl-Q. Like you, I am running calibre off of an SSD (AHCI mode enabled).

One thing I did notice was that when running command line programs, specifically calibredb (32-bit), I get the following message:

Qt: Untested Windows version 6.2 detected!

I did not test any 64-bit command line programs, but I assume that the 64-bit version of Qt has also not yet been tested on Windows 8. Perhaps the problem lies in one of these support libraries which has not yet been tested on Windows 8.
RichieTheK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #107
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
@RichieTheK & MontyJ

I have had no issues whatsoever with Calibre 64 with Windows 8 but that with spinning drives. That includes conversions, use of a number of plugins, tweaks, etc. The installation history has been Calibre 32/Windows 7>Upgrade to Windows 8 over Windows 7>Upgrade to Calibre 64 over Calibre 32.

You both have SSD's, so a common matter there and perhaps MontyJ's "adapter error" is a further clue.

I wonder (I may have missed seeing it) if MontyJ has ever had Windows 8 and Calibre 64 running fault free on his non-SSD drive but the rest of his environment unchanged?
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #108
MontyJ
Addict
MontyJ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
@RichieTheK & MontyJ

I have had no issues whatsoever with Calibre 64 with Windows 8 but that with spinning drives. That includes conversions, use of a number of plugins, tweaks, etc. The installation history has been Calibre 32/Windows 7>Upgrade to Windows 8 over Windows 7>Upgrade to Calibre 64 over Calibre 32.

You both have SSD's, so a common matter there and perhaps MontyJ's "adapter error" is a further clue.

I wonder (I may have missed seeing it) if MontyJ has ever had Windows 8 and Calibre 64 running fault free on his non-SSD drive but the rest of his environment unchanged?
Win8 and SSD's are a possible common link to the problem. The fact that the 64bit version crashes in Safe Mode pretty much eliminates rogue program drivers, etc. I did try to run the debug mode on Calibre in Safe Mode, but it produced no entries at all.

And while I briefly had W8 installed on a real HD, I did not have a chance to put Caliber x64 through its paces. IF that is the issue, there should be more people come along and report the same problem which will hopefully lead to either some new W8 SSD driver tweaks or Kovid will find where Calibre has a mismatch with W8 SSD drivers in some way, as W7 x64 works fine with SSD.
MontyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #109
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Win8 and SSD's are a possible common link to the problem. The fact that the 64bit version crashes in Safe Mode pretty much eliminates rogue program drivers, etc. I did try to run the debug mode on Calibre in Safe Mode, but it produced no entries at all.
You might want to try backing up calibre's configuration folder (unsure where it is located on Win 8. Once it is backed up delete or rename the original folder. Then start calibre it will create a fresh configuration folder on start up. If the problem is in this folder you should be back up and running. Albiet you will have to recreate your settings and add in your plugins again.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #110
MontyJ
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
You might want to try backing up calibre's configuration folder (unsure where it is located on Win 8. Once it is backed up delete or rename the original folder. Then start calibre it will create a fresh configuration folder on start up. If the problem is in this folder you should be back up and running. Albiet you will have to recreate your settings and add in your plugins again.

Good Luck.
That was a GREAT idea! But, it actually made it worse; I tried one book convert and it crashed. A least my original config let me do one at a time, but not two or more.

I then ran the 32bit version and it converted that same book ok.

Monty
Old 01-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #111
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
That was a GREAT idea! But, it actually made it worse; I tried one book convert and it crashed. A least my original config let me do one at a time, but not two or more.

I then ran the 32bit version and it converted that same book ok.
Some fonts have been known to cause problems. Go to Preferences - Look and Feel - Main interface tab and change the font to Ariel. Restart calibre see if things improve.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #112
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Hmm nothing comes to mind that could cause crashes with a combination of Win8 and SSDs. It's likely something else you have in common. Unfortunately the number of variables is so large that it's rather hard to guess what that might be.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:29 PM   #113
MontyJ
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Hmm nothing comes to mind that could cause crashes with a combination of Win8 and SSDs. It's likely something else you have in common. Unfortunately the number of variables is so large that it's rather hard to guess what that might be.
Kovid,

It may not help, but I went into the Windows event log and looked at a half-dozen or so Calibre error events produced by this x64 issue; they were all the same:
---------------
Faulting application name: calibre.exe, version: 0.9.13.0, time stamp: 0x50e65b84
Faulting module name: QtGui4.dll, version: 4.8.3.0, time stamp: 0x50a06c97
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000a2e4f
Faulting process id: 0x28
Faulting application start time: 0x01cdec8de7a314e2
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Calibre2\calibre.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Calibre2\DLLs\QtGui4.dll
Report Id: 2defc514-5881-11e2-be8a-50e549cd1a34
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
----------------

I also changed the Calibre default font (MS Shell Dlg 2) to Arial per DoctorOhh's suggestion, but no change.

Monty
Old 01-06-2013, 11:52 PM   #114
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That doesn't tell me anything useful, I'm afraid. It's already fairly obvious that the problem is an incompatibility between something in your environment and Qt, the trick is to find out what. The known list of such incompatibilities is here: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....s-occasionally
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #115
MontyJ
Addict

Quote:
That doesn't tell me anything useful, I'm afraid. It's already fairly obvious that the problem is an incompatibility between something in your environment and Qt, the trick is to find out what. The known list of such incompatibilities is here: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....s-occasionally
Yea, checked that out at the start of all this; not applicable to my setup. But our issues are not "occasionally"; they are predictable and reproducible. If there are any other debugging tools/logs I can try or look at that may be helpful, let me know!

Hopefully we can eventually get to the bottom of the issue and add a new device or driver or library to your list of "these can cause problems"

Monty

[Update]

Using the "Startup" tab in the Task Manager of W8, I disabled ALL programs in the list and rebooted. It did not help.

Using the command line "msconfig.exe", I disabled ALL services, including the MS services that could be disabled. Rebooted. It did not help.

Beyond this, I don't think there is anything else I can possibly eliminate that I haven't done already. I even ran Calibre x64 in Safe Mode and it crashed. My last test will be removing two of the 8GB memory modules and try the system on 16GB rather than the full 32GB. The overnight memory tests did not show any problems, but it could be the way the system and/or Calibre is using the 32Gb memory space. I will also rotate the memory modules so they will be in different slots....hell, I will try anything!

I have looked in all the Event logs I can find, but like Kovid said, there is nothing there that points to what specific issue is interfering with Calibre. So, other than a memory removal, wiping everything and starting with a new clean install, I can't think of anything else to try.

What I would like to find is some kind of diagnostic tool ("Stepping" debug program?) that would somehow show what specific service or program is interfering. Perhaps such a tool doesn't exist? I am open to new ideas!

Last edited by MontyJ; 01-08-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #116
RichieTheK
Enthusiast
RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The known list of such incompatibilities is here: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....s-occasionally
I am running Logitech's Setpoint. Shutting it down before running calibre-x64 seems to have improved the stability. I just ran calibre for 15 minutes with no problems, while with Setpoint running, it would not last 2 minutes. Setpoint only seems to affect the 64-bit version of calibre; the 32-bit version runs fine. (Setpoint itself is 64-bit.)

Thanks for reminding me to look at the FAQ again. The last time I looked at it I didn't have any Logitech hardware so I completely forgot about the conflict with Setpoint.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #117
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Probably pretty obvious but, just in case not, have you updated SetPoint to the current Windows 8 version (v6.51 64bit)?

I have had no problems with that and Calibre 64, but I can't recall if I had an earlier version of it after first installing Calibre 64 so can't say if earlier SetPoints had an issue in my environment or not.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #118
RichieTheK
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Probably pretty obvious but, just in case not, have you updated SetPoint to the current Windows 8 version (v6.51 64bit)?

I have had no problems with that and Calibre 64, but I can't recall if I had an earlier version of it after first installing Calibre 64 so can't say if earlier SetPoints had an issue in my environment or not.
I have the latest version of Setpoint. I did some experimenting these past two days and I can say definitely that the problem occurs only when my Touchpad T650 is powered on. I have two wireless Logitech devices connecting through their Unifying Receiver (Touchpad T650 and a Trackball M570). The Trackball is new and I was experiencing the Calibre crashes before I bought it, running just the Touchpad. I have had no crashes when I run Calibre X64 with the Touchpad powered off.

I speculate that there is some glitch involving the Touchpad and Setpoint. The Touchpad is a new device from Logitech, so there probably are still a few issues to be resolved with it.

Thanks to all who responded.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #119
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieTheK View Post
I have the latest version of Setpoint. I did some experimenting these past two days and I can say definitely that the problem occurs only when my Touchpad T650 is powered on. I have two wireless Logitech devices connecting through their Unifying Receiver (Touchpad T650 and a Trackball M570). The Trackball is new and I was experiencing the Calibre crashes before I bought it, running just the Touchpad. I have had no crashes when I run Calibre X64 with the Touchpad powered off.

I speculate that there is some glitch involving the Touchpad and Setpoint. The Touchpad is a new device from Logitech, so there probably are still a few issues to be resolved with it.

Thanks to all who responded.
There are problems with Logitech Wireless and USB3 devices. Apparently the USB3 transmits in the same freq range as the Logitech Wireless but with much higher power thus causing interference with the Logitech Wireless. This study was done by Intel. As this was unknown, the computer manufacturers did not install sufficient sheilding. The only fix that has been devised is to move the LogiTech dongle as far as possible from the USB3 even to placing it at the end of a long usb extender cable.

This could be at least part of your problem.
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:17 AM   #120
RichieTheK
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
There are problems with Logitech Wireless and USB3 devices. Apparently the USB3 transmits in the same freq range as the Logitech Wireless but with much higher power thus causing interference with the Logitech Wireless. This study was done by Intel. As this was unknown, the computer manufacturers did not install sufficient sheilding. The only fix that has been devised is to move the LogiTech dongle as far as possible from the USB3 even to placing it at the end of a long usb extender cable.

This could be at least part of your problem.
Thanks for the information. It doesn't affect me right now because my system is too old to support USB3 and I have no USB3 devices. I will be building a new system later this year, so I'll take your advice into consideration then.