Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-29-2010, 08:26 AM   #91
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
It opens pdfs.
It doesn't crash doing so.
And that's about it.
Don't expect a "mana from heaven" academic reader; it's an Android tablet built off a cellphone OS and cell-phone/pda hardware.
No PC-equivalent miracles at US$149.

Check the manual:
http://pocketbook-int.com/download/1...IQ_701(EN).pdf
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:06 AM   #92
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by alprakas View Post
Hello,

I went through this entire thread, but could not find any PDF specific features of PBIQ... Though it has been asked couple of times, but PB people dont seem to answer about this...

Can anyone already having the IQ please comment on this?

1) Can you write handwritten notes in PDF files.. It would be quite useful for reading research papers and annotating them.

2) If yes to the previous question, how are these annotations saved? Are they linked to the PDF forever, so that one can open the pdf again and see them...

3) and by the way is there a stylus supplied with the IQ, given that it has a resistive touchscreen...
I can't answer all your questions yet, but I can answer #3. A stylus is not included with the IQ. Sorry!
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 10:11 AM   #93
alprakas
alprakas began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 903 Pro, Pocketbook IQ
Thanks fjtorres and speedtouch ... I only hoped that because its a resistive screen, maybe some android app can take care of these features, I will search the android market...

As for the stylus, no big deal though... :-)

Although, I think for my need ASUS launched something today in Taiwan, ASUS EEE Note EA-800... of course it is more expensive, and not sure whether it will make it outside Taiwan ... these things keep getting lost, just like the Irex DR 800... :-(
alprakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:23 AM   #94
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Hello,

I went through this entire thread, but could not find any PDF specific features of PBIQ... Though it has been asked couple of times, but PB people dont seem to answer about this...

Can anyone already having the IQ please comment on this?

1) Can you write handwritten notes in PDF files.. It would be quite useful for reading research papers and annotating them.

2) If yes to the previous question, how are these annotations saved? Are they linked to the PDF forever, so that one can open the pdf again and see them...

3) and by the way is there a stylus supplied with the IQ, given that it has a resistive touchscreen...
1) You can type notes via virtual keyboard
2) no, they are only saved with the pdf on the iq
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:33 PM   #95
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Although, I think for my need ASUS launched something today in Taiwan, ASUS EEE Note EA-800... of course it is more expensive, and not sure whether it will make it outside Taiwan ... these things keep getting lost, just like the Irex DR 800... :-(
The key problem you face is that proper Academic-type note-taking really needs a tablet PC running OneNote because nobody has replicated that functionality outside the PC environment. Especially the round-tripping. With netbook-based Tablets due from several vendors in the next few months you *will* have a fair choice of solutions but they will all be a lot closer to US$500 in price than to US$150.
The hardware simply isn't there.
Not for Android tablets, not for ereaders.
Content consumption, yes; content creation, no.
Sorry.
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 09:07 PM   #96
myle00
Connoisseur
myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Palm Treo
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The key problem you face is that proper Academic-type note-taking really needs a tablet PC running OneNote because nobody has replicated that functionality outside the PC environment. Especially the round-tripping. With netbook-based Tablets due from several vendors in the next few months you *will* have a fair choice of solutions but they will all be a lot closer to US$500 in price than to US$150.
The hardware simply isn't there.
Not for Android tablets, not for ereaders.
Content consumption, yes; content creation, no.
Sorry.
What new devices are you talking about? Because note taking is important and I might wait if new devices with it are coming out soon. I tested today the Sony 950 in best buy and you have to write really slowly, otherwise it skips a lot. Does the IQ's touchscreen act the same way? DO they have the same touch technology?

Did you mean that the 903 would be fully note capable, since I read it has that tracking tech?

Last edited by myle00; 11-29-2010 at 09:32 PM.
myle00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:31 AM   #97
alprakas
alprakas began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 903 Pro, Pocketbook IQ
The touchscreen tech of the Sony 950 and the PBIQ are quite different... If I am not mistaken much, Sony 950 uses infrared sensors along the screen edges to detect the screen presses... while the PBIQ is a resistive touchscreen...

If as you say the writing capabilities of Sony 950 is not up to the mark i.e. you have to write really slow, then that is sad... I was considering that for me as well...

Anyway, writing on a resistive touchscreen is also a almost similar experience. You got to write slowly and press a bit hard at the same time..
alprakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:12 AM   #98
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by myle00 View Post
What new devices are you talking about?
There is a slew of netbook-based tablets coming from the PC companies designed to take on the iPad. Dell, Asus, HP, Acer, Lenovo, the usual suspects. These tablets use Intel CPUs (dual core Atoms, ULV Core, etc), capacitance screens, and an optimized build of Windows 7.
The DELL Inspiron convertible is shipping now for US $549.

http://hothardware.com/News/Dell-Shi...ablet-For-549/

http://www.technewsdaily.com/video-g...e-tablet-1567/

These are not ebook reader devices, they are full-function PCs, which is what full-function academic PDF use requires. The software already exists and is readily available. Things like OneNote, Nookstudy, and the full-blown Adobe PC Reader, etc. And, of course, round-tripping is a given.

Mind you, there's already dozens of existing Tablet PCs optimized for *pen* input, not touch, that already run the necessary apps. All from the usual suspects.

Ebook readers are for content consumption, PCs are for content creation. A lot less grief using them for what they each does best.

Last edited by fjtorres; 11-30-2010 at 07:17 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:42 PM   #99
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Well, good news. 2.2 is already being tested.
Hi mtravellerh,

Any suggested month or quarter for this 2.2 upgrade?
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:22 AM   #100
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Hi mtravellerh,

Any suggested month or quarter for this 2.2 upgrade?

I was wondering about the same as well...

Last time I have heard, it was supposed to be first half of january. It is the 14th and no word so far. Not that I want to be impatient or anything but I am sure Froyo could make a positive difference on the IQ.
Icewyng is offline   Reply With Quote