Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-01-2010, 06:36 AM   #1
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Adding covers

Whenever I add a cover to a book, using Calibre, it creates a cover.jpg in the same folder as the book (so far so good). But when I want to add this cover to my own sources (from which I generate my books), I always get an error in the LaTeX process (dimensions too large).

It took me some time to figure this one out, but it turns out that the cover.jpg has a resolution of 1 pixel per inch... Is there a reason for this? (the original had a normal resolution, around 70 pixels per inch...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:31 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I have had a look at some of my books, and most of them seem to be set to 96 dpi. However I did find some set to the 1dpi value you mentioned. I could not see if this related to the version of calibre used to create the files or some other cause. I am wondering if perhaps it is something like it varies between the case where the cover is downloaded and when it is extracted from an exiting book.

I suspect in most places within Calibre it is only interested in the width/height in pixels of the cover, and does not pay any attention to the dpi value so that what it is set to has not mattered

Last edited by itimpi; 12-01-2010 at 08:37 AM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Most applications don't mind But MikTex does... It tries to determine the size (in actual measurements, not pixels) of the file and because it's a bit too large (600x800 image, 1dpi is 600x800 inch!) it'll give an error.

And yes, it only happens when you drag it into Calibre, instead of updating the cover using the book.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
there is no code in calibre to manipulate the dpi stored in jpegs. In fact, I wasn't even aware that jpegs could store dpi. What would be the point of storing dpi in raster format?
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:38 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
there is no code in calibre to manipulate the dpi stored in jpegs. In fact, I wasn't even aware that jpegs could store dpi. What would be the point of storing dpi in raster format?
It is used for deciding how to 'display' images on devices with differing resolutions while maintaining the same physical size. For example, when photoshop prints a 5x7 photo, it will be 5x7 no matter the printer resolution and no matter the paper size (as long as the paper is larger than 5x7).
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 11:41 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's just wrong
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote