Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What should we read for May?
Dracula by Bram Stoker 11 25.00%
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley 10 22.73%
Duma Key by Stephen King 5 11.36%
Afraid by Jack Kilborne 5 11.36%
Four and Twenty Black Birds by Cherie Priest 4 9.09%
Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill 3 6.82%
Frankenstein: Prodigal Son by Dean Koontz 5 11.36%
Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz 1 2.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2009, 12:47 PM   #1
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
May 2009 Book Club Vote

This month's genre is horror. Here are the nominations:

Dracula by Bram Stoker
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Duma Key by Stephen King
Afraid by Jack Kilborn
Four and Twenty Black Birds by Cherie Priest
Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill
Frankenstein: Prodigal Son by Dean Koontz
Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz

The poll will close in seven days.
Happy voting!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:07 PM   #2
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Voted
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2009, 01:17 PM   #3
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Me too
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:11 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

I don't know what to pick yet! Argh!
Old 04-25-2009, 03:47 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I have voted.

BTW, I just emailed Cherie Priest author of "Four and Twenty Blackbirds" (I loved this book) asking her to make her other titles available in ebook form. Her hands are tied and she says she's been badgering Tor to make some older titles available but nothing has happened yet. She said her new book "Boneshaker" will be available as an ebook.

She responded within a couple of minutes of me writing her. It was great! I also let he know her book was in the running as the book club selection and gave her a link to the nomination thread.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2009, 04:30 PM   #6
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Voted. Waiting anxiously to see what we pick.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:40 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
BTW, I just emailed Cherie Priest author of "Four and Twenty Blackbirds" (I loved this book) asking her to make her other titles available in ebook form. Her hands are tied
Kinky girl.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:41 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just want to ask how many of us know the story of Frankenstein regardless if we've read the book or not? Well if you do, then give Frankenstein: Prodigal Son by Dean Koontz a vote as you'll see the story a little differently.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:59 PM   #9
Brainphart
Compost Power
Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.

Device: Nook ST-1 Sony Reader PRS500(retired but still kicking)
Voted. I really have no preference as long as it scares the $#!+ out of me. Oddly enough, Jurassic Park (read when it first came out in paperback) has been the most frightening book I've read thus far.
Brainphart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:06 PM   #10
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainphart View Post
... Oddly enough, Jurassic Park (read when it first came out in paperback) has been the most frightening book I've read thus far.
I see what you mean ! The building tension, I think, where things are worsening chapter after chapter !
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:28 PM   #11
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Damn, I forgot to propose "Something Wicked this Way Comes" by Ray Bradbury, one of the finest novels ever written in the supernatural vein. Oh, for a time machine! Okay, so it's not available as an ebook, but everyone should read this novel at least once.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:44 PM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainphart View Post
Voted. I really have no preference as long as it scares the $#!+ out of me. Oddly enough, Jurassic Park (read when it first came out in paperback) has been the most frightening book I've read thus far.
I read that when it came out (I was in the fourth grade, yeah I'm a young'un) and I don't remember it being too terribly scary.

Still love the movie though.

Frankenstein is on my list, but I've already read Dracula. Damn, I should have nominated "Ghost Story" by Peter Straub, now that I think about it...
Old 04-26-2009, 09:19 AM   #13
Brainphart
Compost Power
Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.

Device: Nook ST-1 Sony Reader PRS500(retired but still kicking)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I read that when it came out (I was in the fourth grade, yeah I'm a young'un) and I don't remember it being too terribly scary.

Still love the movie though.
The tension and impending doom sent chills down my spine. I felt like a helpless insect caught in a very big spider's web.
Brainphart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:02 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

we just need 2 more votes for Frankenstein: Prodigal Son to break the tie. I know you can do it!
Old 05-01-2009, 05:05 PM   #15
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

One more day left guys!