Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-14-2013, 06:20 AM   #2536
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
It wouldn't have been so funny if the salesman had had a heart attack. If I'd been the salesman, I'd have called the cops and told Gordon and Pepsi that their sense of humor isn't humorous at all. And I'd be calling my lawyer, too.

I don't understand the need to terrify people like this through involuntary participation in a "prank." I guess that is what things have come to; we can watch the decline and fall of civilized social behavior. I'm actually surprised that Pepsi's lawyers didn't step in and put a stop to these "pranks."
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:14 AM   #2537
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
It wouldn't have been so funny if the salesman had had a heart attack. If I'd been the salesman, I'd have called the cops and told Gordon and Pepsi that their sense of humor isn't humorous at all. And I'd be calling my lawyer, too.
I can understand you calling a lawyer. Everyone in America feels the need to sue others. But what would calling the police accomplish? Is there a law against frightening someone? Certainly he broke the traffic laws, but the police must witness that before they can issue a citation. There is in Citizen's Arrest for a misdemeanor.

Quote:
I don't understand the need to terrify people like this through involuntary participation in a "prank."
It sort of frightens me to acknowledge it, but I'm in agreement with you on this point. Pranks that hurt people are not fun at all, even it the hurt is just emotional.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #2538
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
It wouldn't have been so funny if the salesman had had a heart attack....
It would be interesting to see a follow-up on his medical history. Some results of stress don't show up immediately.

Had that been me, I would have laughed after having been told that it was all a joke, then planted the most powerful uppercut I could muster on the chin of Jeff Gordon.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #2539
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
It would be interesting to see a follow-up on his medical history. Some results of stress don't show up immediately.

Had that been me, I would have laughed after having been told that it was all a joke, then planted the most powerful uppercut I could muster on the chin of Jeff Gordon.

I probably would have aimed somewhat lower, just to insure that he could never reproduce, terminating that particular genetic line... Darwinism in action for a better tomorrow.

Stitchawl
Old 03-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #2540
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Shall we say there are many questions over that video, as to whether it was real or fake.

A lot of the discussion is that the ad was entirely faked. For instance, see http://jalopnik.com/that-jeff-gordon...d-is-453519481 .
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:12 AM   #2541
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Shall we say there are many questions over that video, as to whether it was real or fake.
Even if faked, it is in poor taste, and like the Jackass movies have done, it will lead others to try to do even more frightening things to unknowing victims. Unfortunately, these kinds of stunts end up being "role models" for the simple minded and for the cold hearted.

And, Sticthawl, there are criminal laws against terrifying people in many states. However, I'm glad to know that the last thing you would do is contact a lawyer. Hopefully you will be the victim instead of me of such a prank because the pranksters know you wouldn't sue them. Personally, had that been done to me, I'd rather bankrupt the a**holes who thought it amusing to torture me like that and the company that let them run amuck just to get some publicity. Perhaps bankrupting them would stop someone from imitating them for fear of being held responsible for such a bad decision and save someone from having to undergo such a terrifying experience.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:39 AM   #2542
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
And, Sticthawl, there are criminal laws against terrifying people in many states.
Terrifying them by bad driving? Half the husbands would be filing against their wives.

Quote:
However, I'm glad to know that the last thing you would do is contact a lawyer. Hopefully you will be the victim instead of me
How kind of you...

Stitchawl
Old 03-15-2013, 07:42 AM   #2543
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You all win. No more videos from me. Have fun.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #2544
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Even if faked, it is in poor taste, and like the Jackass movies have done, it will lead others to try to do even more frightening things to unknowing victims. Unfortunately, these kinds of stunts end up being "role models" for the simple minded and for the cold hearted.
Ding! Civilization is only as strong as the weakest link and we are well on the path to the lowest common denominator.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #2545
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
... Perhaps bankrupting them would stop someone from imitating them for fear of being held responsible for such a bad decision...
Good luck on bankrupting Pepsi, the best you could hope for is to get very rich. Oh yeah, I forgot, that's the point!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:41 PM   #2546
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Good luck on bankrupting Pepsi, the best you could hope for is to get very rich. Oh yeah, I forgot, that's the point!
Let's keep in mind that in the US, there is a whole section of the population that makes its living off the errors, or openings, made by others. Some specialize it in it. In biological terms this population is known as 'parasites.'

Stitchawl
Old 03-16-2013, 10:02 AM   #2547
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I ran across this today, and thought I'd share....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR6Ge...ture=endscreen

Stitchawl
Okay, that's pretty scary. Now tell me it's all relative and wages over there are astronomical.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #2548
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Okay, that's pretty scary. Now tell me it's all relative and wages over there are astronomical.
Sorry to say that these prices are correct... but out of context. Most people don't eat these. These particular fruits are chosen to be given as 'gifts.' They are 'perfect looking' fruit with no blemishes and just the correct amount of vine attached. To qualify, the melons must have a vertical stem 2cm tall, with a 4cm cross bar on top. If the rest of the fruit is perfect, that melon might sell for $100 USD. (Without the stem that same melon would sell for about $15.) Perfect apples, again with the stem attached (even wrapped in foam to protect it from falling off) will sell for $5 each. They will 'look' like the archetype for the name 'apple.' Same with grapes, peaches, and persimmon. I've seen Mangos selling for $20 each.

However... the 'taste' of these might be just a bit more lively than you pillow. Often no flavor at all. It's said that 'The Japanese Eat with their Eyes.' These are gifts, and are often used by the recipients as alter offerings rather than dinner desserts. Fruits IS more expensive in Japan than in the West, but if you buy in season, it's not too bad. We had a punnet of strawberries for dessert tonight that cost about $3. Yesterday's pineapple cost about $2. A bag of about 6 'normal' apples runs $3-$4 depending on the variety. More expensive than in Vermont, where we would buy a shopping bag full for $4, but for Japan, it's a good price. The melon we ate last week cost about $3. No stem and some blemishes on the skin, but sweet as any I've ever eaten.

Stitchawl
Old 03-18-2013, 08:38 AM   #2549
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Thanks for the reply Stitch.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #2550
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Tags
cats, kindle, tax, vincent price