Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #16
TheMatrix
Enthusiast
TheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with others

Device: Kobo Mini, Ipad 2
My credit card company took care of all of the extra charges. Kobo doesn't seem to care that their website and company can't get an e-commerce site working correctly. Customer service for Kobo is horrible. Their solution is to try another web browser, give me a break! Guess what Kobo, your site sucks on both Safari and Chrome! How do you like them apples?

Thanks for the heads up on the Family Christian stores Mystika1. I found out I have one a block from where I work and will stop by tomorrow to pick one up.

Last edited by TheMatrix; 06-25-2013 at 09:30 PM.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #17
delph
Tabby
delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Mini, Lenovo Yoga 2 10"
I discovered that you can also order online from Family Christian, and shipping is less than from Kobo's site. Economy shipping was $3 from Family Christian vs $8 from Kobo's site - not a huge difference, but that's another book. ;-)

Last edited by delph; 06-26-2013 at 11:34 PM. Reason: clarity
delph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #18
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
Blah, I was double charged too!

I just sent them an email, I'll see what happens.

As I was typing this, I got the "you will receive an answer within 24-48 hours" email from them.

Not too bad.

Can't wait until it gets here.
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #19
TheMatrix
Enthusiast
TheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with others

Did you get an order confirmation email or order confirmation number? If not then your order didn't go through and I would contact your credit card company and have them remove those charges and order from somebody else like Family Christian Stores. Don't trust Kobo to make things right.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:19 PM   #20
discopig
Book Addict
discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
$40 is great, might pick one up for my dad as he's been wanting an ereader for a while.
discopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #21
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I got a reply after the "you will get a response in 24-48 hours," asking for a screencap or other confirmation of the double billing. I opened my bank account, screencapped recent activities, used Paint to draw a line through the details of the other transactions, and sent that in.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #22
TheMatrix
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I got a reply after the "you will get a response in 24-48 hours," asking for a screencap or other confirmation of the double billing. I opened my bank account, screencapped recent activities, used Paint to draw a line through the details of the other transactions, and sent that in.

Next they will send you another e-mail asking for your account # if its not included in your screen cap so they can credit the money back, since they don't have a record of the transaction evern occuring
Old 06-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #23
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
They did that, but now that the transaction's gone through (it was pending before), there's only the one charge. Looks like it accidentally set multiples to "pending," but there was only one actual charge involved.

My account is all good, so yay? And my Kobo's being shipped.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #24
TheMatrix
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
They did that, but now that the transaction's gone through (it was pending before), there's only the one charge. Looks like it accidentally set multiples to "pending," but there was only one actual charge involved.

My account is all good, so yay? And my Kobo's being shipped.

All of the pending charges fell off/expired, but I had also notified my credit card company of the problem. I never received a purchase confirmation from Kobo or anything other than a reply from customer service wanting a copy of the extra charges. Long story short bought the Mini from Family Christian Store for the same $39.99 +tax, but didn't have to pay Kobo's $8 shipping charge .
Old 06-30-2013, 06:02 PM   #25
roc
Enthusiast
roc is on a distinguished road

Device: Dell Streak 5, Archos 80, Sony 950, Linux/X86 droid, OLPC XO, cbgs
Thumbs up FCS Charity Bonus with Mini (and other models).

Quote:
Originally Posted by delph View Post
I discovered that you can also order online from Family Christian, and shipping is less than from Kobo's site. Economy shipping was $3 from Family Christian vs $8 from Kobo's site - not a huge difference, but that's another book. ;-)
That $5 also happens to be the amount that FCS states that "will be donated to sponsor a girl rescued from the sex trade in Cambodia."

Works for me - got one today, although having trouble syncing my existing Kobo library to it - get "something unexpected" from Kobo Desktop for each book, and no results from wifi sync. I can sideload non-DRM'ed epubs, and Adobe Dig. Ed's epubs, but those ADE epubs get message "not authorized" for my Adobe ID, although I authorized the Mini with ADE just before copying the 2 epubs over, and can still read them with ADE on the PC. Oh well, cook up the cabbages and get 'em all unencrypted if I have to - seems like a decent low-cost replacement for my Sony PRS-T1 with bad USB port that won't charge any more.
roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:17 PM   #26
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Meh. Maybe I should've spent the extra $30 to get a second Touch (also on sale, at least at Chapters/Coles here in Canadia) instead of being cheap and buying a Mini for my backup (my 2 years & 6 days old Touch's battery is horrible at holding a charge now - at 4-5 sessions totaling an hour to an hour and a half a day of reading, sleeping the rest of the time, it gets to 50% charge in like 4 days now :/).

At a font large enough to be the same visible size as I use on the Touch (4-5 steps larger on the slider, at least), I don't even get half the text thanks to needing it to be larger to make up for the same resolution on the smaller screen size and because of the more than an inch (half up top, slightly more than half at the bottom) of vertical space lost to nothingness/book title and page numbers and, on three books I tested (one Kobo, two sideloads), more than 3/4ths of an inch of horizontal space wasted to margins I can't adjust.

Seriously, Kobo, let us have more space - put the title and page number on the same line at the bottom (more than enough room, and more than enough room to consolidate the top & bottom toolbars). That extra 3-4 lines at the top'd make a huge difference. And allow us to ignore publisher-set margins and line spacing (except for specially formatted bits of text, which would use different markup, there is no need to EVER lose almost a horizontal inch or have only 80% of the lines of text that could be there on each page - unless the *USER* specifies that's how they want it)

EDIT: Just tested now. At as close as I can get the font size to each other visibly, on the same book I get 15 lines of text on the Mini and 19 lines on the Touch. The lines are approximately 45 characters wide (allowing for justification and the non-fixed width Georgia font) on the Mini and 52 wide on the Touch. That is a potential 675 characters per page on the Mini versus 780 on the Touch (YMMV on all these numbers, of course, depending on your preferred font and size and the individual book itself). 105 characters is actually a rather large difference in how much information can be displayed at once when you have to adjust the font size up on the smaller screen.

Fortunately, I won't be using the Mini to actually read for a while - not until my Touch dies. 'Til then, it'll be powered off and sit around waiting to be charged every couple of months (I just noticed that it can't use a wall charger, unlike its older sibling; still might be charging, but there's no change in the battery indicator. Annoying.).

Last edited by JD Gumby; 06-30-2013 at 10:37 PM.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:27 PM   #27
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Seriously, Kobo, let us have more space - put the title and page number on the same line at the bottom (more than enough room, and more than enough room to consolidate the top & bottom toolbars). That extra 3-4 lines at the top'd make a huge difference. And allow us to ignore publisher-set margins and line spacing (except for specially formatted bits of text, which would use different markup, there is no need to EVER lose almost a horizontal inch or have only 80% of the lines of text that could be there on each page - unless the *USER* specifies that's how they want it)

And exactly how does the Kobo differntiate between publisher markup that you want to disregard and publisher markup that you want displayed?

And 3-4 lines at the top? Given your statement about the font size you use, at most two lines at the top of the screen. With my Aura and .epub books, I loose 5 mm at the top of the screen -- not quite enough for 1 line with the font size I use (1 em or 12 poin) which is about 4.3mm) allowing for wanting to keep the top of the text at least 2 mm from the top of the screen.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:52 PM   #28
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
And exactly how does the Kobo differntiate between publisher markup that you want to disregard and publisher markup that you want displayed?
Er, very easily. Add a publisher's defaults toggle. If enabled, use margin and spacing if set by the document, if any. If disabled, use the user's settings. Could even add a toggle for each of the specific settings - or just have them ignored by default like is already done with fonts.

Quote:
And 3-4 lines at the top? Given your statement about the font size you use, at most two lines at the top of the screen.
I used a ruler to measure how much blank space there was. Estimated by eye how many lost lines it'd be. Just measured it properly and it's 13mm. The font is currently set to 3mm and the spaces are also 3mm tall. So, due to the excessive default spacing that cannot be changed, you're right that only 2 extra lines of text would fit.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:38 AM   #29
delph
Tabby
delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Mini, Lenovo Yoga 2 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by roc View Post
That $5 also happens to be the amount that FCS states that "will be donated to sponsor a girl rescued from the sex trade in Cambodia."
I didn't see anything about a donation for that purpose, but that's pretty cool.

I haven't received mine yet, but it did ship the day after purchase. I'm a little scared about loading it up now. :-/

Last edited by delph; 07-01-2013 at 12:42 AM.
delph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:37 AM   #30
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by delph View Post

I haven't received mine yet, but it did ship the day after purchase. I'm a little scared about loading it up now. :-/
Scared of what?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote