Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-23-2023, 07:24 PM   #1
bdoors
bdoors began at the beginning.

Device: none
Calibre splits lines between pages

I input my html files into Calibre to create its zip file.

Then I generate an EPUB file.

In the EPUB file, I notice that every several pages a line will be split vertically across two pages.

IOW, the top part of a line will appear on one page. And then the bottom part of the line appears on the next page.

In most cases, the split is very slight. But sometimes it's pretty noticeable.

Is there any way to get Calibre not to split a line across two pages?

Thank you for your advice.
bdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 09:41 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre doesnt split lines across pages, that will be whatever you are using to view the epub. Put that software in paged mode and you will be fine.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2023, 10:52 PM   #3
bdoors
bdoors began at the beginning.

Thank you for your help. I understand now.

And also, thank you for all your work on such an incredibly useful product.
bdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 09:13 AM   #4
unagaswamy
unagaswamy began at the beginning.

Device: Mac and Ipad
List lines split between two pages.

First of all, thank you for your excellent service to the book publishers!

I am facing a similar issue particularly with bullet and list lines being split between two pages. I am using a Mac as my primary device in which the html converted to PDF has this issue. I wish I can attach a screenshot, but the insert image icon is pointing to a URL.

I have been manually inserting
Code:
page-break-before:always
but wondering if there is a simpler solution.

Any pointers are greatly appreciated.
unagaswamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 09:23 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Keywords (CSS):
Widows and Orphans

0 is not a valid value (even tho I see it all the time) 1 is the same as unspecified (and what happens to you. The orphan)

What is basically does is reserve/require x amount of lines for the block.
2-4 is common
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2023, 12:24 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unagaswamy View Post
. . .
I wish I can attach a screenshot, but the insert image icon is pointing to a URL.
Use the Go Advanced button, then click the paper clip in the top row

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 12:31 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Keywords (CSS):
Widows and Orphans

0 is not a valid value (even tho I see it all the time) 1 is the same as unspecified (and what happens to you. The orphan)
I think 2 might be a default on some renderers.
1 essentially means do nothing.
2 and higher mean never break a paragraph so less than that number of lines are alone, hence 0 is meaningless. I can never remember if fragment at top of page is orphan and fragment at bottom of page is widow or vice versa. Usually they are set the same.

But you can't stop a paragraph being broken over two pages, because a paragraph can be more than a "page" (depends on size user set font and margins and line spacing).

The only thing absolute on everything is that a new file starts at the top of a new page (mobi, azw3, KFX, epub2, epub3 etc).
The various page-break-<directives> are not always honoured, or on some readers ignored.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 12:40 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Widows are at the end of a paragraph (i.e. last line of a paragraph pushed to the top of a new page), orphans are at the start of a paragraph (i.e. first line of a paragraph left at the bottom of a page).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote