Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-27-2023, 09:39 AM   #1
a52435443333
a52435443333 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Can I force kepub.epub when "Connected to folder"?

I'm testing a new workflow.

I have a connected folder on Calibre which is then automatically synced over wifi to two Kobo Libra 2s using syncthing.

I send the books I want to read to this folder using Calibre. I think I want these books to be kepub.epub, however if I use the kepub output format plugin the files come through as .kepub. Is there a way of renaming these files after send?

Alternatively, is there a way of forcing the connected folder to be recognised as a Kobo which can then use the KoboTouchExtended plugin to convert on the fly?

I'm then intending to use KOreader to read the books, and send highlights to Readwise, and sync read status using progress-sync.

Am I making life too difficult, and could I do all this with the stock Kobo Reader?

Thanks!
a52435443333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 09:55 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I could be wrong but:
1) kepub.epub = a renamed epub file you want to have rendered by Kobo's kepub renderer instead of ADE renderer. The file has no special kepub content. Kobo provided this for people with no facility to create epub, for testing, to give an idea what might happen if they published on Kobo via epub as Kobo directly delivers .kepub on sales, though .epub for download to PC (or an .acsm that is info to redeem an epub if there is DRM)
2) .kepub = a real kepub file. It's like epub2 but has a load of kobo specific HTML style spans.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 01:41 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Not quite right. A Kobo ereader needs the .kepub.epub extension to trigger use of the Webkit based renderer. There is also the .fxl.kepub.epub extension for fixed layout epub3 ebooks however that is not really needed if the .opf file properly identifies the epub3 as prepaginated.

My workaround for when I've played with sending kepubs via Dropbox is to use kepubify and a batch file to convert the books after copying them to the folder. Perhaps the OP could use something similar.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 03:36 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, the kobo kepub renderer is based on Webkit then. Maybe I read that before and forgot. People do argue about which they prefer.

There a KePub Output plugin converter also for Calibre such that you don't have to use the KoboExtended driver on-the-fly conversion. 3.6.6 Joel Goguen
Or is Kepubify the same thing as a standalone version?

Last edited by Quoth; 12-27-2023 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-27-2023, 08:58 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The plugin and the standalone program give similar results but are quite different. Kepubify (created by geek1011 aka Patrick Gaskin) is quite a bit faster and easy to run from a batch file so I prefer it. The way I use Kepubify also does not require me to store .kepub files in my calibre library so a bit of space saving.
Old 12-27-2023, 09:28 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If all you want is the filename to end with .kepub.epub simply change the template used for sending to device to end with .kepub then when you send epub files, the effective filename will be .kepub.epub
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 11:01 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist

I think the OP wanted the extra spans, etc. that are part of a kepub to be added. The simple rename to kepub.epub is useful for testing by an author but screws up highlighting, note taking and some issues related to cover display.

Quote:
Sideloaded EPUBs with the ".fxl.kepub.epub" or ".kepub.epub" will disable bookmarking and note keeping. Thumbnails for covers may not display. Otherwise the reading experience and content display will be identical to how the file would display when loaded through the store. Leaving the extension as ".epub" will enable bookmarking and note keeping and will trigger the ADE display engine.
Old 12-28-2023, 06:41 PM   #8
a52435443333

Thanks for the replies. Actually I'm not sure now whether I should bother trying to get kepub format. Does it give me anything? I thought it would allow progress sync, but I have got that with normal epub. I also have highlighting which works fine with epub.
Old 12-28-2023, 08:11 PM   #9
a52435443333

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If all you want is the filename to end with .kepub.epub simply change the template used for sending to device to end with .kepub then when you send epub files, the effective filename will be .kepub.epub
Thanks, but it is the other way around. I want to use the kepub output format plugin but tweak the output filename from .kepub to kepub.epub

Where is the output file extension set? I had a look at conversions/kepub_output.py but that was a zero length file.
Old 12-28-2023, 08:40 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by a52435443333 View Post
Thanks for the replies. Actually I'm not sure now whether I should bother trying to get kepub format. Does it give me anything? I thought it would allow progress sync, but I have got that with normal epub. I also have highlighting which works fine with epub.
Unless you are planning on reading on a Kobo ereader/app that will make use of the kepub format, it simply adds extra spans that are treated as no-ops.
Old 12-28-2023, 08:41 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Thanks, but it is the other way around. I want to use the kepub output format plugin but tweak the output filename from .kepub to kepub.epub

Where is the output file extension set? I had a look at conversions/kepub_output.py but that was a zero length file.
When you send the kepub to a Kobo ereader, the filename will be automatically changed from .kepub to .kepub.epub. Otherwise, you would be attempting to store two .epub files in the same library directory.
Old 12-29-2023, 05:28 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Kepub has three main obvious differences:
1) The layout, spacing and hyphenation is different.
2) Footnote links might sometimes work as pop-up boxes.
3) You can zoom an image.
In theory all that can be done with epub (which is what simply renaming an epub on a Kobo does, but that mysteriously breaks annotations etc).

I used it at first and then switched to regular epub as I prefer it and it's closer (or the same) as other epub eink makes, azw3 on a KK3 or PW3 and converted LibreOffice Writer source (via extra docx). Only Kobo uses kepub and maybe only StandardeBooks uses it as well as Kobo (Direct WiFi only). Download to PC from Kobo shop gives epub or an acsm ticket that gives epub. It's proprietary and epub is an open standard.

Some people prefer the kepub, but using kepub output plug-in conversion or kepubify is the way to do that, not a simple rename.
Old 12-29-2023, 07:49 AM   #13
a52435443333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Kepub has three main obvious differences:
Thank you for that clear summary. Based on that, I'll stick with epub for now and not bother with kepub.