Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-24-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Kobo sending 150 readers to Canadian troops

The Kobo blog has an entry today talking about the readers they are sending to be enjoyed by Canadian troops. See: http://blog.kobobooks.com/2010/08/24...sforthetroops/

They are including a selection of non-public domain books and would like suggestions as to what they should be. The suggestions should be sent as comments to the Kobo blog.

From the blog entry:

Quote:
We have 150 Kobo eReaders ready to go to the Canadian forces libraries in Afghanistan. The eReaders are loaded with 100 great classics plus a wide selection of Best Sellers generously donated by HarperCollins Canada, Harlequin, McClelland & Stewart, Random House of Canada and Simon & Schuster Canada.

To help our troops select their next great read we’d like to include our Kobo community’s Recommendations and Review
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
nachtxeule
Enthusiast
nachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3.
only 150? i know it's a nice gesture and all but that number sounds cheap...
nachtxeule is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 06:55 PM   #3
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
Hopefully the troups won't want to purchase any new books because the international restrictions will prevent it. I think it would have been a more useful gesture to send 15o paperbooks to be passed around after use instead of just 150 people being able to read.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
FWIW: there are currently 2830 Canadian troops in Afghanistan. I don't know how many libraries are maintained for them (note the Kobos are going to the libraries, not individual soldiers). There will be 1 Kobo for approximately every 18 soldiers.

Last edited by taming; 08-24-2010 at 07:23 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
Gordo29
Connoisseur
Gordo29 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo-1st Porcelain 2nd Black, Touch, Aura, now Libra H2O
I think it is fantastic! Well done Kobo! Even if it is "only" 150 how many has the other manufacturers sent to their troops?

Stay calm, be brave, wait for the signs.
Gordo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 09:44 AM   #6
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
FWIW: there are currently 2830 Canadian troops in Afghanistan. I don't know how many libraries are maintained for them (note the Kobos are going to the libraries, not individual soldiers). There will be 1 Kobo for approximately every 18 soldiers.
Which, from what I've seen, would be about right the number given what a small percentage of the population actually reads for pleasure.

Last edited by HamsterRage; 08-25-2010 at 04:37 PM.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:59 AM   #7
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Sounds like a reasonable percentage to me!
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:03 PM   #8
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
"All quiet on the western front" would be good. Also Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughter House Five or Hocus Pocus. Also Haldeman's the "Forever War."
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:25 PM   #9
kchampagne
kchampagne began at the beginning.

Kobo does not produce hard copy books, but how generous to do something when lots of people do nothing! Why would Kobo send hard copy books when they don't even sell them?
It amazes me that people will always try to turn something someone does that's positive into a negative!
kchampagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:08 PM   #10
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

You are right. It was a good thing. Sorry for the negative take I gave it.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:09 PM   #11
nursedude
Zealot
nursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo (Original), KT, iPad 1, iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd gen
Kudos to Kobo for supporting our troops! I think the devices will be welcome diversions.
nursedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:58 PM   #12
Greyghost
Greyghost began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
Kobo to Kanucks...

Recommended Reading:

Public Domain (?):
Steven Leacock, Robert Service

More Recent:
The complete works of:
Pierre Berton
Farley Mowat
(OK, so I like history and humour, I'm a typical Canuck.)

Morton Desmond: A short history of Canada
Joy Kogawa: Obaasan
Charlie Farquharson's Histry of Canada (no spelling error - honest)

Assorted Books by Charles De Lint, Tanya Huff and Cory Doctorow

Adventures in Eating: Haines & Sammells (ed.)

Various finalists from the Giller prize.

Last edited by Greyghost; 08-25-2010 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Added more
Greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:03 PM   #13
Zyzomys
Hooked on Phonics
Zyzomys began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I think this is great!
Zyzomys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:13 PM   #14
wrenn1
Addict

Greyghost, if I had nothing but Canadiana to read I'd poke my eyes out.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:14 PM   #15
wrenn1
Addict

...or put the Kobo on a land mine.