Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #16
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
OK I am HYPER curious about that jetBook Lite

but before I go tangent

the kobo mini is amazing (so far) had it a couple days once I picked it up I could not put it down without buying it! its SOOOO small and handy. really amazing.

now as for that jetBook Lite

WOW AA powered I LOVE IT!!! I have always wanted an ereader that was AA powered which would essentially future proof it since I doubt it will be hard to find AA's even 50 years from now :-)

but why is the battery life on 23 hours? 4 AA's is a HUGE power source capacity wise I would imagine it should go for MONTHS at a time on 4 AA's
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:54 PM   #17
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
nerys, the 23 hours of reading is what we get with rechargeable batteries. Buy two sets of four, and pop the second set in when the first set runs down. Then charge the first set one evening when you are using the second.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #18
nerys
Addict

rechargeable or alkaline its way to short.

though not really NOW I understand why. I thought it was an eink display its not its an LCD.

Too bad. I would buy a AA powered small decent eink unit. very much so!
Old 04-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #19
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I would get either a Nook Simple Touch or a Kindle Touch. I would get a touch because my daughter (who turns 11 next week) and most kids that age are still learning vocabulary, and my daughter tells me she uses the dictionary a lot. The dictionary is a pain to use with my non-touch Kindle. The touch feature is worth it for ease of use with the dictionary, particularly for a child who will have a lot of words to look up.

The Kindle is a little easier to get library e-books with. They can be downloaded over wi-fi. That might push me toward the Kindle Touch. And Amazon customer service is much easier to work with than B&N customer service. And Amazon seems more stable of a business than B&N - B&N isn't that profitable which makes me worry about their future. OTOH you can sometimes get Nook Touches very cheap. And you can read a book in the store if you go to a B&N, plus you have a store you can run into if she has questions and wants help. And you can add an SD card to a nook, which increases storage space available if you need more.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #20
GeekyGirl
GeekyGirl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GeekyGirl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GeekyGirl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GeekyGirl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GeekyGirl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GeekyGirl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GeekyGirl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GeekyGirl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GeekyGirl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GeekyGirl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GeekyGirl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Mini, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Tablet 16 GB
I would have said Nook Simple Touch a few months ago. But I've experienced very frustrating issues with Barns & Noble over the last 5 months. I still love that device though. However, as a result, I just switched to Kindle and first purchased a Kindle Touch for $40 through Craig's List. I liked it so much that I switched to the Paperwhite and love the addition of the frontlit screen.

So my vote is to either look for a used Kindle Touch on CL or eBay. Or buy a refurbished Paperwhite from Amazon for $104. It would be "new to you," in that it should arrive with no scratches or blemishes of any kind. The only difference is that it might be in a different box than the "new" one. Who cares. It carries the same warranty and also qualifies to add the extended warranty in the first 30 days.

It's an absolutely phenomenal device and I've been e-reading for 4 years. I'll never go back.

By the way, the Kindle Touch and Kindle Paperwhite both have basically the same touch interface. the addition of the frontlit screen is the major difference between the two. You can also buy a refurbished Kindle Touch from Amazon for $89 as well. For the $15 difference, if you're inclined toward the Kindle, I'd definitely go with the Paperwhite.

Here are links:

Paperwhite
http://www.amazon.com/Certified-Refu...dle+paperwhite

Touch
http://www.amazon.com/sale-deals-Kin...d+kindle+touch

But that's just my two cents.

Here's a link that you can get lots of free and cheap Kindle books, if you decide to go that route. It gets updated everyday and the prices are typically only good for the day.

www.pixelofink.com

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited by GeekyGirl; 04-07-2013 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Addition of relevant information
GeekyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2013, 12:12 AM   #21
nerys
Addict

I really wish they would do a DX in the paper white. man I love my DX.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #22
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
rechargeable or alkaline its way to short.

though not really NOW I understand why. I thought it was an eink display its not its an LCD.

Too bad. I would buy a AA powered small decent eink unit. very much so!
I have the Aluratek version of the Jetbook (rechargeable battery though). I find the LCD screen just as easy to read as eInk. And it never has any flicker when turning pages.

Although I have a Kobo Touch, I still use and enjoy the Aluratek Libre Pro.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:53 AM   #23
nerys
Addict

my issue with lcd is less readability (though that is part of it) and more about battery life.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:28 AM   #24
alicepattinson
Banned
alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Kobo Mini is good, it's light and very handy.
alicepattinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #25
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicepattinson View Post
Kobo Mini is good, it's light and very handy.
And it's currently on sale at several places for $59.

In the U.S. at Powell's, Best Buy, and Family Christian. In Canada at Staples. Staples and Powell's also include a free SnapBack.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #26
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Another thing about the Kobo is there's a way to support local independant bookstores by using them. I think you have a buy it from the local bookstore? Anyway, here's a list of participating bookstores and if one is near you, you could call them and get the details. http://www.indiebound.org/ebooks

I found more information about that program: http://www.bookweb.org/about/press/20120829.html

Last edited by NickyWithNook; 04-09-2013 at 10:15 AM.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #27
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
I am curious what the OP ended up buying... My vote would also be for the Kobo Mini. There have been some good deals on them this past month as well.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #28
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Having just gotten a Kobo Mini, I'll cast my vote there. I love it!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #29
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
I am curious what the OP ended up buying... My vote would also be for the Kobo Mini. There have been some good deals on them this past month as well.
I actually waited because I could not make up my mind. Now with the Aura HD out... I am really confused. I really didn't want to spend that much but...

I am still attracted to the Mini though. It seems to me that it would be so easy to hold one handed and tap the screen for page turning. I keep holding out hoping that they will release a limited edition Glo Mini. That would be a dream come true. :-)

Last edited by mystika1; 05-02-2013 at 06:59 PM.
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #30
Nil Einne
Connoisseur
Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
For those looking for a AA reader, the txtr beagle finally launched, it uses AAA batteries although it requires a Android phone (currently, could be expanded to Windows PC from what I understand, and I guess anything with bluetooth and extra application ability) for any effective use as it lacks ebook processing instead the phone processes the ebooks I guess in to images which it sends to the reader http://txtr.com/beagle/

I'm not suggesting this for the OP or anyone else, actually considering the price which at 59 Euros is far above the promised 10, and not exactly that cheap even when you take off VAT it seems a bit silly to me. But since the topic of AA readers came up.

As for the OP, I would suggest the Mini primary for reason of price however you do have more options in the US, e.g. the ad supported Kindles for a fairly cheap price, refurbs. I do think some consideration of use would be helpful. For example I suspect something with touch would be important if she's going to be using the dictionary a lot. Similarly, would a larger font size be helpful? In which case it may be better prefer to go larger, so look at the 6" readers or even the Aura.
Nil Einne is offline   Reply With Quote