Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-29-2014, 05:02 PM   #31
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Oh Yeah, I forgot to say, I've already had the bagger at COSTCO ask me "Is that one of those watches that connects to your phone? How do you like it?"
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:27 PM   #32
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
It was waiting for me when I arrived home Friday. After a bit of a kerfufel over initially charging it up, everything is going ok. After two weekend days, the battery life seems a little better than anticipated. After sixteen or so hours of use I still had better than 50% battery both days. I still have to charge it every night, but then I have to charge the phone anyway so it's not much of a burden. The only problem is that the band is a bit fiddly so it's a PITA to put it back on in the morning before having any coffee.

As a former Pebble owner, this thing is amazing; where I had to violently shake the Pebble to get the backlight to come on, now I just have to move my wrist to the normal position for reading a watch and it comes on (most of the time). I have it set for always on, so it shows me a dimmer more concise watch face unless I move it to the on position (or tap the screen).

I haven't loaded any apps yet, as I intend to go slowly and check each app against battery life and I haven't yet decided on the first one to check. But the built in Google Now function launches the platform well beyond anything that Pebble offers. I only have to say "OK Google"..."Take a note", or "Remind me" or any number of things that I haven't explored yet.

Bottom Line: I'd give it four stars, and probably five if it had a better band.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Oh Yeah, I forgot to say, I've already had the bagger at COSTCO ask me "Is that one of those watches that connects to your phone? How do you like it?"
Would you mind taking a picture of it on your wrist?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:03 PM   #33
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
And, I suppose it only connects to an Android phone? (prolly a silly question)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:24 PM   #34
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
And, I suppose it only connects to an Android phone? (prolly a silly question)
Yup, and then only the newer versions (4.3 and above). If you have an iPhone you'll need to either get a Pebble or wait for the Apple Watch.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:34 PM   #35
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
Would you mind taking a picture of it on your wrist?
Not my wrist, but here's one I got off the web. It's just easier than fiddling with a camera.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:31 PM   #36
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
So the watch device, you can use it to talk, and?
Old 09-30-2014, 07:49 PM   #37
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
So the watch device, you can use it to talk, and?
Well, yes, but not how you think.

You can talk to the watch (really Google Now on your phone through Bluetooth) but you can't talk ON the phone. You have to dig out your phone to do that. And the watch doesn't have a speaker. So no, it's not like a Dick Tracy wrist radio.

Samsung has announce a Galaxy Gear S that has voice, and 3G data, in other words a stand alone cell phone on your wrist. It's a bit bigger than the Gear Live, and has a curved screen. And it needs a phone to set up the settings. The down side is that you need another cell phone account for it, so there's a monthly fee for that.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:30 AM   #38
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

So it doesn't twin to your current phone? Wow poor planning!
Old 10-01-2014, 03:40 AM   #39
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Ah sweet, the latest Pebble firmware includes a quick launch feature. Just what I've wanted to see them add.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:22 AM   #40
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
So I just ordered an LG G Watch R. Should be with me tomorrow
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:54 PM   #41
rollei
Addict
rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Pay by wristband now....

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/11...n_6128566.html
rollei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:48 PM   #42
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollei View Post
They are a little late: One of features Apple announced for their upcoming smatchwatch is the ability to pay through ApplePay (NFC).
Old 11-19-2014, 01:01 PM   #43
rollei
Addict
rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
They are a little late: One of features Apple announced for their upcoming smatchwatch is the ability to pay through ApplePay (NFC).
The RBC technology is unique, it "identifies owners through their unique heartbeats when charging purchases to their credit or debit cards".

One can now use an iPhone to pay from their credit cards using ApplePay. The Google version is Google Wallet.

Interesting that each individual has unique heartbeats..
rollei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:26 PM   #44
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

So what happens if you have a heartattack whilst paying your hospital bill?
Old 11-19-2014, 11:24 PM   #45
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollei View Post
The RBC technology is unique, it "identifies owners through their unique heartbeats when charging purchases to their credit or debit cards".

One can now use an iPhone to pay from their credit cards using ApplePay. The Google version is Google Wallet.

Interesting that each individual has unique heartbeats..
Well it doesn't use heartbeats... at least for now... but the AppleWatch does verify your identity using the touchID sensor on your phone. (when you first put the watch on that is; the watch locks itself again when you remove it from your wrist)