Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #16
jglerner
Connoisseur
jglerner doesn't litterjglerner doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3g (US), KT & PaperWhite, Nook ST
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybernation View Post
I have georgia (a nice fat bold one) working on my KT.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=163

After I fattened up the default fonts I replaced the condensed one with a Georgia I doctored up from the windows ttf file.
So sorry, too much for my poor understanding. I installed usbnet after a prior, and successful , jailbreak but I was unable to follow on. I´m sure it´s just lack of knowledge. I can use chose among Mac OS X, Windows and Linux boxes but my Kindle Touch just refused to be telneted (!?)

My bad!
jglerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #17
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglerner View Post
So sorry, too much for my poor understanding. I installed usbnet after a prior, and successful , jailbreak but I was unable to follow on. I´m sure it´s just lack of knowledge. I can use chose among Mac OS X, Windows and Linux boxes but my Kindle Touch just refused to be telneted (!?)

My bad!
Are you sure you want to telnet?! That is so 1980s... (SCNR). Try ssh instead.
(sample: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...USB_Networking)
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #18
jglerner
Connoisseur
jglerner doesn't litterjglerner doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3g (US), KT & PaperWhite, Nook ST
Sorry, I started learning code a decade prior the 80´s. Somewhat my inside head fuses were blowing up this afternoon... Forget it (read, I forgot it!)..
SSH...
Will restart tomorrow from the very beginning.
Thanks for the heads up!
jglerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #19
desirumguy
desirumguy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hi,

Can you please guide me on how to install the conf file to my Kindle Touch. I am very new to Kindle world!

I wanted to read some books on my local language using Kindle Touch and realize I need a font hack. I followed this thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=116098

Jailbroken the Kindle, but couldn't find relevant files to install fonts and arrived here.

Any help would be deeply appreciated, Thx
desirumguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #20
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can you attach here a document that causes the broken display, and a screenshot of what it *should* look like, and one showing what it *does* look like?
The document would ideally be in .mobi format. The "correct" screenshot can be from any application (Windows or whatever) which displays it properly, the "broken" screenshot can be directly from the Kindle.
Advert
Old 02-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #21
ixtab
(offline)

@desirumguy: I have tried to find some tamil ebook in "real unicode" in .mobi format, but did not find any (I only found the ones in TSCII encoding in the thread you mentioned, but without installing the appropriate font, it obviously only displays garbage).

However, I have installed a thai ebook on the device, taken from the second post of this thread (downloaded the epub, and had calibre automatically convert it to .mobi).

It displays properly. (this is actually what I expected, since the KT comes with the Code 2000 font, which should support virtually all languages).

So my suggestion is, before you break your Kindle by installing some weird font hacks, give it a go with the installed font.

I tried a bit more, and created a small HTML test file which I converted to .mobi using this site. As far as I can tell, everything displays properly on the device. I'm attaching the files for reference, so you can check the results for yourself.

Again, this was verified to work on a *standard* Kindle with *no* font hack.

Attached Files
File Type: zip utf8-test.zip (1.9 KB, 513 views)
Old 02-15-2012, 10:06 PM   #22
hybernation
Enthusiast
hybernation began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle 2 US, Sony PR-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamana View Post
A doubt: after you apply this procedure, the stock fonts are lost?

Thanks.
I make backups of the files I replace so I can always revert.
hybernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:35 AM   #23
desirumguy
desirumguy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
ixtab, Worked perfectly!!!

Thanks a billion for the timely advice, and efforts you took to test it. I am happily reading tamil in my kindle now, Thanks again!!!
desirumguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:31 AM   #24
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Oh, how I would love a simple, noobproof fonthack, like we have on K3! I've looked into this ssh and putty and linux stuff, but it's way over my head and I'm afraid to brick my Touch. Just to be able to change to Times or anything other than what Amazon gives us...
Ixtab, NiLuJe, Yifanlu, I beg of you...
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:38 AM   #25
ixtab
(offline)

Smile

I'm currently developing an application for this.

It's still in a *very* early stage, so don't hold your breath
Old 02-18-2012, 01:27 PM   #26
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
I'm turning blue!
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:02 AM   #27
Emrexcem
Turkish :)
Emrexcem began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch (5.03)
can some one give the origanel l font for kt
Emrexcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:46 AM   #28
Emrexcem
Turkish :)
Emrexcem began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch (5.03)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
hybernation's procedure, yes.
fontconfig procedure, no. (it was from the beginning designed to be as unintrusive as possible; it still obviously has to modify the font cache and /etc/font/conf.d directory, but both of these are easily "reversible")
how can i reverse?
Emrexcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:34 AM   #29
ixtab
(offline)

Remove the 99-*.conf and re-run fc-cache, then restart the framework.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #30
ixtab
(offline)

Here's a screenshot of the application being developed.

It's still in an extremely early development stage -- it may take a week, or a month, or two, or even more than that, until completion. I'll keep you updated. Eventually, there will be a "full" font hack for the KT, but it may still take a bit of time.

Last edited by ixtab; 02-21-2012 at 12:29 AM.

Tags
kindle touch hacks