Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #1
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Does the Kobo Mini really only get 2 weeks of battery?

Hi,
I just wanted to know if it was a misprint. I know most e ink non glo readers get atleast a month on a battery.

Thanks,

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
The "month" you often see quoted is deceptive. It assumes only 30 minutes of reading per day, in a single session, wi-fi off at all times, and with the power turned off the rest of the time (so no putting it to sleep and leaving it around 'til your next session).

Under the normal use of someone who is heavy enough a reader to make a dedicated ebook reader an attractive option, even two weeks is being optimistic.

Really, it's like coffee makers being listed in "cups" - those "cups" are only 170ml instead of the normal 240ml (236ml, actually, but rounded up in the US for official measurement), which is what a normal coffee mug'd hold, so a 12-cup coffee maker'll actually only give you 8 and a half real cups of coffee...
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:41 PM   #3
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Interesting comparison.... If you want to know if the Mini really has half the battery life of the glow, after having peeled back the cover of the glow, and seeing how huge the battery is,I would say, probably yes. There just ins't room for that much battery in the Mini. Remember that the lion's share of the power draw will be the processor/memory/networking, since e-ink screen requires so very little power (and only when changing pages.) In other words, the mini has smaller battery (probably), but same power requirements.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #4
tchucker
Banned
tchucker , Klaatu Barada Niktu!tchucker , Klaatu Barada Niktu!tchucker , Klaatu Barada Niktu!tchucker , Klaatu Barada Niktu!tchucker , Klaatu Barada Niktu!tchucker , Klaatu Barada Niktu!tchucker , Klaatu Barada Niktu!tchucker , Klaatu Barada Niktu!tchucker , Klaatu Barada Niktu!tchucker , Klaatu Barada Niktu!tchucker , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: kobo mini, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One
Yes it does. I have had one since the day it came out and have only ever charged it once. I turn off the wifi, except when updating, and I use it, at the minimum, at least one hour a day. Battery life is fantastic
tchucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
Batter life really is fantastic, I have not yet charged it since I bought it about 3 weeks ago and it's still only at 50%. I read on it constantly when I have the time, I would say about an hour or two a day, maybe more because it is broken up. I don't always have the wifi off either (cause I forget to turn it off for a few days at a time), and never power it all the way off except for a minor refresh after a while if it slows down a bit - sometimes freezes on me on loaded epubs from calibre.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
Goldenrod
Goldenrod began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I use mine about 30 minutes-1 hour every night. For the first 3 months, I even played somee games on it (sudoku, chess) and not even 50% of the battery drained, with wi-fi off. Then last week, I "bought" the free version of The DaVinci Code and the battery started draining fast.*I powered it down with 7% of the battery left and it completely drained off.
Goldenrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
I read 36.6 hours on my last charge, wifi always off, and I put it to sleep when I'm not reading, never turn it off. Charging now, last time was on the 11th, so 2 1/2 weeks.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #8
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
If I read about one hour a day, the battery lasts between three and four weeks. I usually synchronized the device once or twice during that time and maybe connect it wirelessly to Calibre.
If I tend to read about two hours a day, I will need to charge the Mini after two to three weeks.

I scarcely turn it off and the WIFI is off when I don't need it.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:19 AM   #9
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenrod View Post
I use mine about 30 minutes-1 hour every night. For the first 3 months, I even played some games on it (sudoku, chess) and not even 50% of the battery drained, with wi-fi off. Then last week, I "bought" the free version of The DaVinci Code and the battery started draining fast.*I powered it down with 7% of the battery left and it completely drained off.
Try removing DaVinci Code book to see if you again have your excellent battery life.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #10
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
all you really need to know if you will NEVER have to charge it more than once a day and you SHOULD never have to charge it for any week long vacation of trip if you start fully charged and don't use wifi.

that is more than enough to keep me happy. I recharge my kindle DX every few months.

I just got a kobo mini (for when the kindle dx is just too large) and so far I am in love with this thing. its just SO HANDY being so small. I am going to work on a nice quality water proof housing since I discovered I can turn OFF sleep timer!! once I "load a book" I only need touch points. go forward go backward. this way I can take it in weather the beach of on the boat without fear :-)

I BET it would not be too hard to actually waterproof this bugger against splash risk.
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:17 AM   #11
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
I am going to work on a nice quality water proof housing since I discovered I can turn OFF sleep timer!! once I "load a book" I only need touch points. go forward go backward. this way I can take it in weather the beach of on the boat without fear :-)
Thanks to a ziplock bag, I can read while taking a bath I love eReaders!
Old 04-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #12
nerys
Addict

I know a ziplock can work but that's no fun :-) hehe
Old 04-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #13
samhy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
I know a ziplock can work but that's no fun :-) hehe
And no classy neither.
I'm looking forward to seeing what you'll come up with
Old 04-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #14
nerys
Addict

I think I will try something with some cheap wood first. (this way it will float too)

see ow hard that is and if that works well go with nicer wood or maybe aluminum.

this way it will be drop resistant and water resistant and still be no larger than your typical 6" e-ink device.

Might also slap 8 dollar store solar panels on the back. should be enough for a slow charge :-) or even build a small battery pack into it and have the solar charge that and the batteries charge the unit. i will figure something out

Last edited by nerys; 04-05-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #15
Nosediver
Nosediver began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo mini
I got mine for christmas, and have only had to charge it three times since then, and I would class myself as a heavy reader, with at least 3 hours a day using it. It has definitely impressed me so far.
Nosediver is offline   Reply With Quote