Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-25-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
kalex
Zealot
kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony
battery on PRS-900

quick question for those with PRS-900. I bought mine on January 15th.
Gave it full charge. I used it for about 15-20 minutes, read about 20 pages. then put it into sleep mode.
Wireless was off (I turned off the physical switch). Today I turned it on and its completely dead.
I also have prs-300 and that battery seems much better. is this because the battery is new and needs few cycles on it?
it seems to me that its draining too fast specially since my wireless is off.
I'm going to try to charge it again and try it. Did anybody else have similar issue?

thanks

Alex
kalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:58 PM   #2
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
So far I have had mine 6 days, I have played with it quite a bit, and it is down 2 bars. I am anticipating getting 2-3 weeks out of a charge

These types of batteries always benefit by a full discharge/charge cycle.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2010, 03:05 PM   #3
olguy
Enthusiast
olguy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Reader
When I received mine it had 2 bars. Even though Sony says charge upon receipt I just had to play with it. I added some books, deleted some books, played with font sizes, etc. I was about 1/2 way through a 300 page book when it went to 1 bar. That was 4 days. I then charged it so we'll see how long it lasts now. I keep the wireless off and I turn the 900 off when not in use.
olguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:18 PM   #4
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
The battery is new, and 10 days is not terrible. It should be able to hit 14 though. After about 16 for me, I got tired of waiting for the battery to die and just recharged it.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
kalex
Zealot
kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Thanks everybody. Weird thing is that it was just sitting on my desk and i haven't used it in 10 days. had to deal with other stuff at work and at home so i kind of forgot about it. so I'm not even sure when it died. I'm charging it right now again. and will test it out more carefully. Hopefully its just a brand new battery and needs a break in period.
Advert
Old 01-25-2010, 03:52 PM   #6
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The max battery life (even when asleep) is about 2-2.5 weeks. You will reach a limit even if you don't use it, unless you turn it completely off, and even then the battery will discharge over 2-3 months.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:59 PM   #7
kalex
Zealot

ah so there is drainage even when it sleeps. I use to have prs-500 before prs-900 and that one lasted for a while. thats good to know. Thanks Kolenka
Old 01-25-2010, 04:02 PM   #8
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>

It's the same with the 500/505 as well (my 505 lasts about 3 weeks at most without recharging asleep if I never use it). The 10 days is a bit low and makes me wonder if the 3G was off or just in standby, though.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:50 PM   #9
kalex
Zealot

it was definitely off. switch on the bottom of the prs-900 was and is in the off position.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:57 AM   #10
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Battery strategy

Always leave the wireless switch in the off position. Also, when not in use and above 2 bars, leave in shut down mode. After it hits 2 bars leave it in sleep mode. If you leave it in shut down mode after 2 bars it may not be able to turn on without first charging.

Using the 900 and the 505 this way, my 505 lasts 49 days after 2 years since purchase. My 900 lasted 14 days after initial purchase and now has gone 20 days and still has 3 bars left.

Always recharge when down to one bar.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:06 AM   #11
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I had always read, about lithium ion batteries, it was better for long term life to "top off" frequently than to discharge deeply. Has that changed?
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:12 AM   #12
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>

Nope.