Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: (Kindle owners) Are you purchasing more books from Amazon?
Yes, books that I would have purchased elsewhere I'm buying from amazon.com. 20 29.41%
Yes, I'm reading more since I bought the Kindle. 34 50.00%
Yes, but it's probably just a honeymoon thing and will drop to normal. 1 1.47%
No, about the same or I'm just indecisive. 5 7.35%
No, less because I'm reading public domain and freebies. 3 4.41%
No, but I am purchasing from other sites 4 5.88%
No (Arghh! Have you every been to sea Billy?) 1 1.47%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2008, 12:36 PM   #16
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I do give many books away, but a lot of the book donations you give to the library do end up being discarded (recycled I'm sure). They cannot sell or use all of them. I give them to my friends, too, but often times they just take them because they're free books and then they sit on their shelves instead of mine. Even so, that paper book took a lot of energy and resources to produce and transport. Most paper bleaching is still pretty toxic, too. I'd rather just have all electronic books.

Luckily I've finally converted my husband to the Kindle side. He cannot bear to part with books. Granted, he does re-read but even books he didn't like he has a hard time parting with. We have 9 bookshelves in our house that are stuffed to capacity (two books deep and books stacked on top) and boxes in the garage. Even when he does want one of them, they're a pain to find. I've given away almost all my books. I have maybe one bookshelf's worth of best beloveds and reference books. I'm hoping I can at least hold the line here and maybe get some of those dust-gatherers out of the house over time.

Last edited by Alisa; 07-11-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:37 AM   #17
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Before my Kindle I would purchase one book a year from Amazon. I would purchase about 2 or 3 a year from Fictionwise and the rest are Public Domain books for free (I love classics and have been trying to finish War & Peace for ages). Before my Kindle I mostly read off my laptop (Macbook) or Desktop computer (PDF). In my first month with the Kindle I purchased 4 books. In the second 3 books. Now I tend to get 2 a month from Amazon. I have all those free books from TOR.com (14) so I should be busy for the rest of the year.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2008, 01:11 PM   #18
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
Amazon has always been a dangerous place for us impulse buyers <GRIN> and it's gotten worse with Kindle. It's soooo easy to hit that 'one-click' button and grab the Kindle and start reading, gosh you don't even have to drive to the bookstore any more! (good thing, too, given the cost of gas)

I have always bought a lot of books, but I expect I am buying more now that I have my Kindle. And just last night I was reading a paper book in bed and I started getting annoyed at having to keep turning the page, which inevitably caused my clip-on booklight to move! It doesn't do that when I click the 'next page' button on my Kindle! HAHAHA Oh yeah I'm spoiled!
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:45 PM   #19
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
At least with Amazon, I "impulse sample" rather than impulse buy. At least I get a good idea if I'm going to like a book before buying it.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 06:20 PM   #20
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Oh yeah, I've purchased four books in the last couple of days from Amazon. I would've purchased from Fictionwise but Amazon was cheaper. Drat that intestinal virus that's weakened my resolve.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2008, 09:05 PM   #21
Icon
Icon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I definitely consider the Kindle store on Amazon first even if I can find the content somewhere else. I want the wireless shopping and ebook delivery option to stick around so I try to vote with my wallet whenever I can...
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:55 AM   #22
Chuckwade87
Connoisseur
Chuckwade87 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle/Sony PRS 505
I hadn't bought books from amazon since i got back from iraq in '07.
I live in germany and i cant just go to the book store and pick-up whatever i want,
The Language barrier sux.
However since i have recieved my kindle, Ive bought 2 books, a magazine subscription, and a newspaper. I can actually get a newspaper that isnt from the army, from reading on yahoo or msn. I like having all those options. I wonder what amazon is going to make available for the kindle next
Chuckwade87 is offline   Reply With Quote