Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-07-2014, 06:58 PM   #1
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
nexus 7 vs Thinkpad 8?

What do you guys think of the Thinkpad 8 compared to the Nexus 7, both has a resolution of 1920x1200, Thinkpad 8 runs Windows 8 and has expansion slot.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:25 AM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post
What do you guys think of the Thinkpad 8 compared to the Nexus 7, both has a resolution of 1920x1200, Thinkpad 8 runs Windows 8 and has expansion slot.
You can't compare those two.
If you're into apps, especially games, Android and iOS (still) can't be beat.
If you're into a "real" filesystem, Android has more to offer than iOS, but is far behind Windows 8 of course.
I've bought the Dell Venue 8 Pro yesterday. Thinkpad 8 isn't available in Germany for another 3 weeks, but it's tempting - although I'm not a fan of Lenovo.
So far, I really like my Dell, whereas I barely ever have touched my Nexus 7 (2013 edition).
Quite frankly -but that's just me- I'm a bit bored by Android.
For some time, I did prefer it over iOS. At least there was an open filesystem and you actually could manage your data. But since I've got Surface Pro, I find Android and iOS way too limited.
So, personally, I wouldn't focus on resolution, Micro-SD slot and such.
I'd solely focus on the OS.
The Microsoft store is growing. I've read somewhere, it has more apps than the Apple store for my MacBook Air. This may be true. But compared to apps for iOS or Android, the Microsoft store is still depressingly empty.
So if you're a collector and like to permanently test new apps, Windows 8 wouldn't be my first choice.
But on the other hand, if you don't go for the Microsoft store, but simply for desktop programs, Windows by far has the biggest supply of programs.
Some tasks I still can't manage on iOS or Android. For example basic office stuff like signatures and CI in Emails. Since I want to do those things on my tablet (amongst other, more fun related stuff), I clearly favor Windows 8.
When you've made up your mind about the OS, then you can look for the right tablet.
If you take Nexus 7 for comparison, a bargain Windows 8 tablet in the range of 300 Euro would be a valid competitor. This would be Asus VivoTab 8 or Dell Venue 8 Pro, to name the 2 most often mentioned in reviews.
I'm not so sure, whether the higher resolution of the Lenovo tablet will be of much use on such a small display. Might be more of a marketing necessity, than real demand.
Anyway...
I'd recommend a Windows 8 tablet. Should you miss some Android apps, you even can emulate them in Bluestacks. Works surprisingly well (not for demanding games, but casual games and "normal" apps work well enough). But you should be aware of the pros and cons.

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-08-2014 at 12:29 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2014, 11:43 AM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I'll just say ditto to what mgmueller said. I went from android to a full Win 8 tablet (I would avoid Win RT due to reduced functionality) because the Office functions were too dumbed down in Android. I was never a big app/game user and windows provides a lot more functionality than Android did. I think these days you really need to decide what functionality you want and which eco-system lets you do what you want then decide hardware.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:25 PM   #4
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Is Thinkpad 8 win RT ?
Old 03-08-2014, 04:46 PM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Is Thinkpad 8 win RT ?
No.
It's Windows 8 Pro.
Atom Z3770.
But the 128GB version is € 650 (in Germany).
In this price range, you're close to the level of i5 processors with significantly better performance. Not for 8" though, to my knowledge.
Advert
Old 03-08-2014, 05:29 PM   #6
FinancialWar
Banned

Yeah, with that price take I could get a second hand Thinkpad X230 Tablet.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:46 PM   #7
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I'd recommend a Windows 8 tablet. Should you miss some Android apps, you even can emulate them in Bluestacks. Works surprisingly well (not for demanding games, but casual games and "normal" apps work well enough). But you should be aware of the pros and cons.
BlueStacks did work quite well for the apps that I used on it. I'm hesitant to recommend it due to one problem. The Spotlight apps, generally garbage slots and poker games, were being automatically installed from the Play store every day.

I had no idea since I wasn't synching installed apps to another device and the apps didn't show on the main BlueStacks screen. Going into Settings/Apps showed me the growing list. When I checked my list of apps on Play, I saw the apps there also. Uninstalling and making sure to deselect the Spotlight option next time changed nothing.

The only way to stop the installations was to go outside BlueStacks to change my Google password. This blocked BlueStacks from Play. It also blocked me while using BlueStacks.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:52 PM   #8
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
...The Spotlight apps, generally garbage slots and poker games, were being automatically installed from the Play store every day....
I don't have an active installment of Bluestacks right now, so I can't check for sure.
But I think, you can deactivate the automatic installation of that bloatware.
At least I had found some trick to not get those apps.
Anyway, you're absolutely right: I'd wish for an additional Bluestacks version without such stuff and gladly would pay for it (preferably a one-time fee, not a monthly flat rate).
I've tried Bluestacks first on Surface Pro 1 maybe 10 months ago. Since then they should have been able to figure out a business model...
Still: By far the best Android emulator I've found for Windows.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:53 PM   #9
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I don't have an active installment of Bluestacks right now, so I can't check for sure.
But I think, you can deactivate the automatic installation of that bloatware.
At least I had found some trick to not get those apps.
Anyway, you're absolutely right: I'd wish for an additional Bluestacks version without such stuff and gladly would pay for it (preferably a one-time fee, not a monthly flat rate).
I've tried Bluestacks first on Surface Pro 1 maybe 10 months ago. Since then they should have been able to figure out a business model...
Still: By far the best Android emulator I've found for Windows.
I had found some comments saying that people were able to uninstall the Spotlight app, but I didn't find any Spotlight app to uninstall. I assume that it was changed in a newer version.

Other than that, it did an excellent job. If I'd needed it very badly, I'd have simply kept changing my Google password whenever I needed to access Play.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:26 AM   #10
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
I've checked lots of reviews for the Lenovo Thinkpad 8.
I love my Dell Venue 8 Pro and I'm tempted to buy another, more expensive Windows 8 tablet.
But most reviews about Thinkpad 8 are quite devastating.
There seem to be lots of quality issues.
Lots of reviews in Amazon and the likes rail about failed speakers and such.
I'm waiting for the Surface Pro mini, which is rumored to be announced still this May.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:00 PM   #11
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
I'd go for the newest Think Pad 8: http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPa...ds=think+pad+8

Even better, wait for the Think Pad 10 which should be coming out soon: http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/13/57...nnounced-specs
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:33 PM   #12
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscarbo View Post
I'd go for the newest Think Pad 8: http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPa...ds=think+pad+8

Even better, wait for the Think Pad 10 which should be coming out soon: http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/13/57...nnounced-specs
Did you check the reviews?
On Amazon and other websites, tons of users talk about quality issues. Very often I've read about speakers failing.