Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-26-2009, 04:53 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Plastic Logic e-reader not before 2010 - Really!

Here is another statement from Plastic Logic that their e-reader won't be out before early 2010. Engadget:

Quote:
If you've been waiting (and waiting) for Plastic Logic's ultra-durable e-reader, you'll have to stick with recycled paper for another dozen months or so. According to a company representative at the outfit's CES kiosk, the device is now scheduled for an "early 2010" release, and as expected, final pricing has yet to be determined. Though, Mr. Joe (seriously, that's his first name) did admit that it would be "competitively priced for rapid adoption" and that the company would be pushing hard to get this into corporations / enterprises.
Link to the video:

http://www.infoworld.com/video/index...tid=7052715001
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:52 AM   #2
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Of course I would like to see this early, or at least on time for Christmas season, but I can wait for 2010.

I'm curous to know what they call "competitive price for mass adoption".
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2009, 05:58 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The delay is hardly a surprise - new technologies of this type tend to experience unanticipated issues in going from technology demonstrations to industrial production. As those of us who have been around for a while will recall, the Sony Reader was almost a year late in its release over the initially announced date.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:27 AM   #4
tebaldo
Connoisseur
tebaldo doesn't littertebaldo doesn't litter

Device: Ganaxa GeR2, StareRead, Sony PRS505, Librié
We have put Les Echos newspaper on Platic Logic "paper" 2 years ago for demonstration purpose, and it seems to me that the actual technology still has some imperfections. I'm not surprised by the delay. Industrial and mass market hardware innovation is a long process.
@ HarryT, I agree totally. There is a lot of different issues. Starting the software environment nearly from scratch is also a big one, when it faces developers and user expectations.
tebaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:45 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The delay is hardly a surprise - new technologies of this type tend to experience unanticipated issues in going from technology demonstrations to industrial production. As those of us who have been around for a while will recall, the Sony Reader was almost a year late in its release over the initially announced date.
No, it's not a surprise, but it is a reason why I still can't decide on an e-ink reader...

"I think I'll get this one! Oh, no, next year there will be an even better one!"
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2009, 07:49 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There will always be something better in a year's time. Carpe diem and buy one to use now would be my advice.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:49 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There will always be something better in a year's time. Carpe diem and buy one to use now would be my advice.
Sadly, my bankaccount always has a big disagreement with January... March is generally a bit more friendly.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:15 AM   #8
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
That's why i've decided to buy an iliad book edition in march. Waiting for Plastic Logic is a bit too long now...
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:19 PM   #9
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
My Sony is more than an adequate crutch, I can wait a while yet!
Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:17 PM   #10
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Very nice, it would be great for reading case law and client docs.

Although I would quibble with the gentleman's statement that the Kindle "only" reads its own proprietary content. That's not true.

However, even without color, it would help with the mass of stuff you need to carry around for research.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:55 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I can imagine this will be an awesome device for anyone that needs to carry around a lot of documents and reference books. Heck, I know I want one... and it's a year away.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:41 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

Although I would quibble with the gentleman's statement that the Kindle "only" reads its own proprietary content. That's not true.

However, even without color, it would help with the mass of stuff you need to carry around for research.
I think he was saying that only Kindle can read the Kindle format, which is true. perhaps he just didn't word it properly.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:52 PM   #13
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I think he was saying that only Kindle can read the Kindle format, which is true. perhaps he just didn't word it properly.

Dale
I hear that a lot. What I meant to say was "x" .... the problem is what they actually said was "y" and "y" just isn't true.

I ran the video twice, just to make certain I heard what I thought I heard. And, yes .... he really screwed the pooch making the statement that he did.

I still think the product might be perfect for someone in the legal profession, however, especially if it does a good display of PDF, and (very important) comes with enough memory (whether or not added by the user) to store a hell of a lot of pages.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:10 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
I hear that a lot. What I meant to say was "x" .... the problem is what they actually said was "y" and "y" just isn't true.

I ran the video twice, just to make certain I heard what I thought I heard. And, yes .... he really screwed the pooch making the statement that he did.

I still think the product might be perfect for someone in the legal profession, however, especially if it does a good display of PDF, and (very important) comes with enough memory (whether or not added by the user) to store a hell of a lot of pages.
I have the problem a lot. I hear what people say but often what they say is not what they mean. It can be really confusing.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:18 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I watch the first video and in the first few seconds when he holds the thing and says something like:

Oh, and the contrast doesn't change when you view it from different angles.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote