Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #16
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Changes by Jim Butcher, and second is The Wool Series by Hugh Howey.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #17
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

closely followed by the Wool books, Hugh Howey
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #18
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I checked my list where I keep my book ratings, and there wasn't a single 5-star fiction title this year! A bunch of 4-stars and out of those I think I'd pick Zafon's "Shadow of the Wind".

There was a couple 5-star non-fiction Swedish books about religion by a guy named Jonas Gardell that I highly recommend to any Swedish speaking people. Lots of food for thought wether you're religious or not!

(On a side note there was a 1-star right beside the 5-star books: 50 shades...)
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #19
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
Bernard Cornwell's complete Sharpe series.
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #20
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Fiction: Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
Nonfiction: Inferno: The World at War 1939-1945 by Max Hastings

Honorable mention: 11/22/63 - Stephen King, Daughters of the Witching Hill - Mary Sharrat, The Company of Strangers - Robert Wilson, The Sparrow- Mary Doria Russell, The Expats - Chris Pavone, The Monster of Florence - Douglas Preston & Mario Spezi, Skippy Dies - Paul Murray, The Passage - Justin Cronin, Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn, The Lower River - Paul Theroux, The Lies of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch.

Good year of reading! Can't wait to see what great books I'll have the privilege of enjoying in '13!
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #21
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I have a lot a books to select from, but narrowing it down as much as possible I would say it has to be a tie between The Half-Finished Heaven
by Tomas Tranströmer (a collection of his poetry) and Norwegian Wood
by Haruki Murakami.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:26 PM   #22
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Fiction: Gillespie and I by Jane Harris.

Nonfiction: Consider the Fork: A History of How We Cook and Eat by Bee Wilson.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #23
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
11.22.63 by Stephen King

I read this at the beginning of the year and has been my favourite
Hey, that's my runner up this year!

Folks, it is nice to see all the titles but I would be happy if you dropped a one-liner why and maybe what genre?
Second place with the above goes to "Steve Jobs" by Isaacson. Full of interesting facts, flowing narration, deep insight into who Steve really was.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #24
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
The Godfather by Mario Puzo and The Dark Fields/Limitless by Alan Glynn are tied.
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:18 PM   #25
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson.

I'm 2/3 of the way through and find it a fascinating insight into Jobs character, vision, passions and many personal shortcomings. Isaacson writes very well with a particularly descriptive style.

Dean
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #26
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I very much enjoyed I am not a serial killer by Dan Wells. First book in John Clever trilogy. I read all three of them but the first really got me hooked. It was like reading Dexter, only better.
Here's a goodreads link for the curious: voila~
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #27
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucarda View Post
I very much enjoyed I am not a serial killer by Dan Wells. First book in John Clever trilogy. I read all three of them but the first really got me hooked. It was like reading Dexter, only better.
Here's a goodreads link for the curious: voila~
I'm a Dexter fan, so have added this to my TBR list. Thanks for the tip.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #28
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I'm a Dexter fan, so have added this to my TBR list. Thanks for the tip.
No problem, glad to recommend it
If you like the synopsis go for it, its quite a ride for a debut novel
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #29
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Fiction: Tender is the Night edges out Chronicle in Stone by Albanian author Ismail Kadare.

Non-fiction: The Wages Of Guilt: Memories Of War In Germany And Japan by Ian Buruma edges out Children of the Sun: A Narrative of Decadence in England After 1918 by Martin Green.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:53 AM   #30
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I had 6 x 5 star reads this year. It's encouraging to see that 4/6 are indie reads (unless you no longer count Wool as indie), but I think the best for me was probably:

The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro (Period literary drama)

I was completely transported by this novel. I was fully invested in Stevens as a character. And although it's not exactly a novel where there is plenty of action, I was still riveted.

Two runners-up:
Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafón (Historical Fantasy?)
Wool (Omnibus) - Hugh Howey (Science Fiction/Post-Apocalyptic)

It was a fantastic year of reading for me. It's worth noting that I read two of these books because they were chosen for MR book club reads.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote